Recent Anime Adventures (series)

This was the platform anime series that started my addiction back when I was 8 years old. This was running alongside most of the other popular "cartoons" like Transformers, G.I. Joe ect. ect. and there was something that I found more substaNtial then, and even now with this series… an actual PLOT. From this point forward (including Starblazers and to a lesser extent, Voltron), it set the bar for animation. Most cartoons of that time, and even now, try to solve a problem in 25 minutes or less independantly with no underlining pplot, and comes off shallow. I feel this is why Anime has become huge in the U.S., it's not just the actual animation, but the stories as well.

Both the "serial" nature of the show (as opposed to episodic), plus the fact that main characters were sometimes killed off, set Robotech wayyy apart from the other afternoon cartoons like G.I. Joe. I'll never forget watching the episode of Macross where Roy (Fokker in the Americanized vers.) buys it. I turned to my friend and said "Did that just happen?"
Later in that series and again in Southern Cross, we saw it again. Main characters were never killed in conventional cartoons, so this was a real eye-opener. There was even a rumour that Robotech was eventually cancelled in Atlanta due to parental complaints about characters dying. Lending credence to this was the fact that the last episode ever aired was the episode BEFORE Roy's demise, after the show had already cycled through the entire series at least twice.

Not only was Roy's demise handled with a lot of class, but the emotional effects lingered for several episodes (as you'd expect)...in the non-serial world of most animated shows back then, that was also unheard-of. The concept of a wide, far-reaching, long-running story arc became the norm for all ambitious anime after that.

Both the "serial" nature of the show (as opposed to episodic), plus the fact that main characters were sometimes killed off, set Robotech wayyy apart from the other afternoon cartoons like G.I. Joe. I'll never forget watching the episode of Macross where Roy (Fokker in the Americanized vers.) buys it. I turned to my friend and said "Did that just happen?"
Later in that series and again in Southern Cross, we saw it again. Main characters were never killed in conventional cartoons, so this was a real eye-opener. There was even a rumour that Robotech was eventually cancelled in Atlanta due to parental complaints about characters dying. Lending credence to this was the fact that the last episode ever aired was the episode BEFORE Roy's demise, after the show had already cycled through the entire series at least twice.

Not only was Roy's demise handled with a lot of class, but the emotional effects lingered for several episodes (as you'd expect)...in the non-serial world of most animated shows back then, that was also unheard-of. The concept of a wide, far-reaching, long-running story arc became the norm for all ambitious anime after that.

Ah, Very good point Paul! You nailed it…

Robotech used to be on at 3:00 here in Utah, And I remember running home after school to catch the last 20 minutes of the show, and one day, walking in and turning on the TV to find Roy Fokker in a hospital bed, and then the next moment some of the main carachters crying because he passed. I still remember standing there in shock, thinking, "no way… no….way… this is a cartoon, and he actaully died!?" The fact that it held real life issues and values (even love affairs and such) above short, shallow stories is probably why it became such a pivitol point for the anime craze in the U.S., we as americans (young and old) had to watch animation that was meant for stricly 30 minues of mindless entertainment focused at kids between 5-10 years old, but look out… here comes Robotech, and that's when it all changed. As a culture, we were exposed to animation that actually made us think thanks to the japanese and Carl Mecek.

And contemplating there was an actaul story arc was what really made it something addicting, you HAD to watch it to see what happened next! The episodes were not interchangable like most catoon of the day, at least not americanized animation. If you missed a few, you were totally lost, unlike most animation of the time, or even now.

Ironiclly, I came across a copy of Voltron (the actual Japanese version) at FYE and was tempetd to buy it. From what I'm told, much like Macross, it is MUCH different in the story lines and what is shown (i.e. death, blood, love affiars, and so on). In fact, on the back cover it even shows one of the main getting stabbed with a sword and blood all over the sword an spraying out… I know for a fact that was never in the "americanized" series.

…and let us not forget the anime series that pretty much started it all, Battle of the Planets (i.e Gatchaman) In the japanese (original) version, it's much of the same, a bit more violent and graphic, but pretty tame to today's standards, however the U.S. version was heavily edited for content, and the japanese version doesn't have that stupidly annoying R2-D2 rip-off character, 7-zark-7, which was added in to the american version to fill up all the deleted/edited scenes and also appeal to the "kids" that were going ga-ga over star wars. Go figure….

I will be checking these out, especially Tokyo Godfathers. Sounds like it's something I would enjoy.

By any chance, would you happen to know if there have been animes made out of videogame stories? (Some older RPGs come to mind). I was just wondering...

Cool--I really hope you'll like some of these. :) I went through a bit of an anime dry spell these last few years, feeling similarly like you that the dynamic creativity of past anime ages had staled a bit in recent years. But lately, I've found a bunch of titles that look interesting again, so I'm kind of re-immersing myself as well.

As for animes made of video games, I know there was recently a "Devil May Cry" anime (though DMC isn't an RPG, so that's probably not what you wanted), and Sengoku Basara II is currently airing (looks really good, actually--gorgeous animation from what bits I've seen).

FFVII has had its share of derivative works. The best/biggest is the movie sequel, Advent Children (and the blu-ray extended cut, Advent Children Complete). Bundled with that, Square-Enix included a half-hour 2D animated film called "FFVII: The Last Order" which tells the story of Zack, the dark-haired SOLDIER 1st Class who rescued Cloud from Dr. Hojo's lab and was killed defending him just before FFVII began. It's actually a very good short film--you get a good idea of who/what Zack was to this story without getting super sappy (despite knowing that he's gonna die at the end of it).

The last thing I can think of is a much older title, but it's still got some lovely artwork (especially of dragons) in it: "Record of Lodoss War" (OVA--don't watch the newer TV series. It's utterly silly). It's very traditional high-fantasy stuff and a basic story. But it's charming in a retro kind of way. Classic.

Ah! One last thing--since you sound like you like more thought-provoking stories, there is one series (not video game-related) I have to recommend to you: Monster. This one actually has an exceptionally good English dub too, so check out the eps up for free on Hulu, etc. This one uses just good, old fashioned storytelling, suspense, character development, etc, to tell a great, gripping story. It's about a young, idealistic Japanese doctor who goes to study in Germany in the 80's (I think) and ends up being hunted by an ex-patient with a vendetta.

if you have netflix then Mushi-shi is a must watch. Took me a few episodes to get adjusted but well worth it now that I'm into it.

Funny this thread popped up again. I just finished off the first season of Moonlight Mile. Not bad considering the bargain price I paid for it. It does suffer some from Testosterone poisoning. (Manly men doing manly things and screwing every woman they come across.) Unfortunately, since this is one of the shows orphaned by ADV's fall and there seems to be no plans to bring season two over.

On Netflix I've been working my way through Princess Tutu. (Don't laugh, it is a pretty good show.)

if you have netflix then Mushi-shi is a must watch. Took me a few episodes to get adjusted but well worth it now that I'm into it.

I’ve had my sights set on Mushi-Shi for a while. It’s seems to be a bit of a sleeper hit, since it’s not overly hyped, yet everyone that has seen it raves it’s a great series with a good story arc. I’ll have to move it up on my list!

Funny this thread popped up again. I just finished off the first season of Moonlight Mile. Not bad considering the bargain price I paid for it. It does suffer some from Testosterone poisoning. (Manly men doing manly things and screwing every woman they come across.) Unfortunately, since this is one of the shows orphaned by ADV's fall and there seems to be no plans to bring season two over.

On Netflix I've been working my way through Princess Tutu. (Don't laugh, it is a pretty good show.)

I actually just got Moonlight Mile a while back, but haven’t had a chance to sit down with it. Like you, I got it for a real steal - mine is the Funmation release. I heard it’s a fairly macho series, but I’m a sucker for cheap thrills, so for the price, I decided to give it a shot.

It seems that Funmation is taking over nearly all of the ADV releases, and some of the later Pioneer/Geneon stuff. The upside is that most of the Funmation releases have more bonus content, much slimmer packaging ,and in some rare cases, new dubbing with better voice acting, not to mention they are a LOT less expensive to purchase compared to the original ADV or Geneon box sets, which in some cases amount to a $40-$60 discount. Personally, I think this was the reason those companies failed… too much flare with expensive packing that was practically uneconomical to justify, being that not every anime fan has $60-$120 of disposable income. Funmation has it down - $20-$35 for an entire series with small, tight packaging, which makes it far more reasonable to the consumer.

Now… if someone like Funmation would pick up all the old U.S. Manga Corp stuff and put new subs and dubs and with the some of the excellent voice actors being used now, I’d certainly buy into that! They had a few gems in their releases that were marred by terrible voice acting and/or sub titles incorrectly translated.

…Princess Tutu? The name alone makes me a bit leery. LOL!

I’ve had my sights set on Mushi-Shi for a while. It’s seems to be a bit of a sleeper hit, since it’s not overly hyped, yet everyone that has seen it raves it’s a great series with a good story arc. I’ll have to move it up on my list!

I don't know if it has much of a story arc. It is more of an episodic series, but the mood is great.

I actually just got Moonlight Mile a while back, but haven’t had a chance to sit down with it. Like you, I got it for a real steal - mine is the Funmation release. I heard it’s a fairly macho series, but I’m a sucker for cheap thrills, so for the price, I decided to give it a shot.

There seem to be quite a few of these. At the table where I picked it up, I also picked up Glass Fleet (haven't watched yet) and ProjectBlue Earth SOS (A throwback to 50s pulp SF. A lot of fun.)

It seems that Funmation is taking over nearly all of the ADV releases, and some of the later Pioneer/Geneon stuff. The upside is that most of the Funmation releases have more bonus content, much slimmer packaging ,and in some rare cases, new dubbing with better voice acting, not to mention they are a LOT less expensive to purchase compared to the original ADV or Geneon box sets, which in some cases amount to a $40-$60 discount. Personally, I think this was the reason those companies failed… too much flare with expensive packing that was practically uneconomical to justify, being that not every anime fan has $60-$120 of disposable income. Funmation has it down - $20-$35 for an entire series with small, tight packaging, which makes it far more reasonable to the consumer.

Well, it might have been the downfall of Geneon, but ADV's problem was that they'd try to license everything and couldn't sell all of it. I remember picking up Aura Battler Dunbine ungodly cheap because people weren't buying an older, long series.

Nowadays, I don't see the benefit in buying a series in individual releases. I think the last ones were The Count Of Monte Cristo and Le Chevalier D'eon. Course, nowadays we are getting FMA: Brotherhood in 13 episode chunks. Before, that would have been 4 DVD releases. (or, in the VHS days, 6-7 releases.)

Now… if someone like Funmation would pick up all the old U.S. Manga Corp stuff and put new subs and dubs and with the some of the excellent voice actors being used now, I’d certainly buy into that! They had a few gems in their releases that were marred by terrible voice acting and/or sub titles incorrectly translated.

Well, not all the old dubs are missed. At AnimeUSA, I had someone lamenting the missing Streamline dub on the current Akira release. Personally, I haven't watched Akira in years, so I don't know what the new dub is like.

Personally, there are still a few series that still haven't gotten releases in the US that I'm still waiting for. (Rose Of Versailles is one of the big ones I've been waiting for for a long time.)

…Princess Tutu? The name alone makes me a bit leery. LOL!

Understood, tho I've seen it used in AMVs way too much. It made me curious. It is an interesting twist on the magical girl genre. It also makes good counter programming for Moonlight Mile.

There seem to be quite a few of these. At the table where I picked it up, I also picked up Glass Fleet (haven't watched yet) and ProjectBlue Earth SOS (A throwback to 50s pulp SF. A lot of fun.)

That’s weird… I got ProjectBlue Eath SOS at the same time as Moonlight Mile too! Was looking to watch SOS over the Holliday weekend in fact. :p

Well, it might have been the downfall of Geneon, but ADV's problem was that they'd try to license everything and couldn't sell all of it. I remember picking up Aura Battler Dunbine ungodly cheap because people weren't buying an older, long series.

Nowadays, I don't see the benefit in buying a series in individual releases. I think the last ones were The Count Of Monte Cristo and Le Chevalier D'eon. Course, nowadays we are getting FMA: Brotherhood in 13 episode chunks. Before, that would have been 4 DVD releases. (or, in the VHS days, 6-7 releases.)

That’s true, ADV had too many licenses, but I think they could have been fine if they did what Funmation is doing now, rather than release everything as either individual episodes or volumes and charge $19.00 for a 3-4 episode DVD. You can buy an entire series or season for that price now (or less!). With that being said, I agree 100% - There is no benefit to buy an individual release, and thus why some of the early Anime companies struggled and/or failed, it just isn’t cost effective in the long run.

Speaking of Aura Battler Dunbine – I have been looking to get that series, and noticed you can still buy each volume for really cheap on either Amazon or eBay and get the entire series for nearly $15-$20 if you shop around. It would be great if it was re-reelased with the slim cases and small packaging like Funamtion does now, and sold for what one volume sold for back then, and I think the same goes for Rhea Gall Force. I remember going to FYE years ago and seeing them selling each Volume of Dunbine for $29.99! That’s $210 for 26 episodes! That’s insane and highway robbery…. You can now download 1 episode on iTunes or PS3 Network for $1.99 or $2.99, that’s still less than half price with all 26 episodes combined! This is yet another prime example of why some of these earlier companies failed.

Well, not all the old dubs are missed. At AnimeUSA, I had someone lamenting the missing Streamline dub on the current Akira release. Personally, I haven't watched Akira in years, so I don't know what the new dub is like.

…this was re-released with new dubbing? I had no Idea. Who put it out? I haven’t watch Akira in years myself - I might have to pull that one out and revisit it again.

Personally, there are still a few series that still haven't gotten releases in the US that I'm still waiting for. (Rose Of Versailles is one of the big ones I've been waiting for for a long time.)

For me its latest Hokuto no Ken… or better known as Fist of the North Star Raoh Den Gekito no Sho. I loved how well New Fist of the north star was done by ADV, so I’ve been waiting for this one to get a proper U.S. release from some other company for three years now. It doesn’t look like anyone is going to pick it up at this point…

Understood, tho I've seen it used in AMVs way too much. It made me curious. It is an interesting twist on the magical girl genre. It also makes good counter programming for Moonlight Mile.

I looked into it, and you have a point there LOL! Actually, this looks like one me and my daughter could possible enjoy together… I’ll have to track this one down.!

Samurai 7 is also an equally good anime. Watched the whole series and it had a great story.

Also Desert Punk is a good one as well. I remember the good ole days when all I would watch was dragon ball(z)(gt) and reboot because that's all I could find on t.v. with the channels I got. Netflix is a good source to find new anime.

That’s weird… I got ProjectBlue Eath SOS at the same time as Moonlight Mile too! Was looking to watch SOS over the Holliday weekend in fact. :p.

Not too shocking when it might be the same dealer. BTW, enjoy. It is a fun little series.

That’s true, ADV had too many licenses, but I think they could have been fine if they did what Funmation is doing now, rather than release everything as either individual episodes or volumes and charge $19.00 for a 3-4 episode DVD. You can buy an entire series or season for that price now (or less!). With that being said, I agree 100% - There is no benefit to buy an individual release, and thus why some of the early Anime companies struggled and/or failed, it just isn’t cost effective in the long run.

Well, I see it with some of the bigger releases where there are a lot of guys who will pay a premium for it (along with the gegaws they include to get people to buy it.) but that wasn't needed for all releases. Hell, dubs aren't always required.

Speaking of Aura Battler Dunbine – I have been looking to get that series, and noticed you can still buy each volume for really cheap on either Amazon or eBay and get the entire series for nearly $15-$20 if you shop around. It would be great if it was re-reelased with the slim cases and small packaging like Funamtion does now, and sold for what one volume sold for back then, and I think the same goes for Rhea Gall Force. I remember going to FYE years ago and seeing them selling each Volume of Dunbine for $29.99! That’s $210 for 26 episodes! That’s insane and highway robbery…. You can now download 1 episode on iTunes or PS3 Network for $1.99 or $2.99, that’s still less than half price with all 26 episodes combined! This is yet another prime example of why some of these earlier companies failed.

I think I got all of mine directly from ADV. They had a clearance at one point and got the art boxes and DVDs for about $5 each.

…this was re-released with new dubbing? I had no Idea. Who put it out? I haven’t watch Akira in years myself - I might have to pull that one out and revisit it again.

Yeah, they did a new dub when they put it out on DVD.

For me its latest Hokuto no Ken… or better known as Fist of the North Star Raoh Den Gekito no Sho. I loved how well New Fist of the north star was done by ADV, so I’ve been waiting for this one to get a proper U.S. release from some other company for three years now. It doesn’t look like anyone is going to pick it up at this point…

I could swear that it is on DVD now. I know I read a review for it.

edit: here it is.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Fist-North-Star-6pc-Full/dp/B003FP0Y0S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1290729408&sr=8-3[/ame]

I looked into it, and you have a point there LOL! Actually, this looks like one me and my daughter could possible enjoy together… I’ll have to track this one down.!

Well, like Grimm's fairy tales, the show is a little dark at times. It should be fine, tho.

I could swear that it is on DVD now. I know I read a review for it.

edit: here it is.

http://www.amazon.com/Fist-North-St...0Y0S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1290729408&sr=8-3

Actually, that is the re-release of the original series from 85' remastered with just the subs (the original re-leases on VHS had dubs...). Unlike the VHS version, I think they actaully got up to episode 72 before falling apart.... the VHS version only got up to episode 18? I'd be impresed if a domestic version with quality dubs made it all the way up to the actual 150 episodes, but I don't think any company in the U.S. wants to (or will ever) tackle that finacial licensing nightmare in my lifetime.
:cry:

This is the one I was actaully refering to:

6fc1_12.JPG

The wiki says there are 6 seperate movies (umm...OVA's?) that is a re-imagining of the orignal series and condensed down. I guess the 6 "movies" are considerd part of the Legend of Hereo series, or better known as Legend of the True Savior all together.

I would LOVE to see these released domesticly with the voice cast that did New Fist of the North Star for ADV....

Thought I'd put up a link to 5 minutes of live action Space Battleship Yamato, out today in Japan.

Last edited by a moderator:
Butting in for randomness!

#1. "BLEACH: Hell Chapter" is coming out on December 4. This will be the 4th film for the series, and it’s particularly special since the author of the manga, Kubo Tite, will be producing a “BLEACH” movie for the first time. I don't really care for BLEACH --BUT-- my favorite artist, T.M.Revolution, has done the theme song for it and it's possibly my new favorite track of his. He's done numerous songs for several anime serials, so you may have heard him already. If you have, but don't like BLEACH, check out the new song "Save The One, Save The All" it's all over youtube right now but Sony JP is likely to pull it any day now. They always do. T.M.Revolution has done numerous songs for several serials, like Rurouni Kenshin, Mobile Suit Gundam SEED, Gundam SEED Destiny, Sengoku Basara 3, and Soul Eater. ((I'll take any opportunity to pimp TMR wherever I can, so there you have it! And totally on-topic))

#2. I've always enjoyed the music of Susumu Hirasawa, particularly his work for the Paprika serial. Being that I'm not much of an anime watcher, I never checked out Paprika just because I liked the music. I heard some interesting things about it yesterday that might make it worth investing in. Can anyone weigh in on Paprika, good or bad?

Last edited by a moderator:
So last month, after hearing alot of complaints from one side of friends and alot of praise from another side, I finally have been watching Naruto. I really really really don't get the hate for this show. It is one of the deepest, richest universes I have EVER experienced. I've been told there's a horrible amount of filler because they caught up to the manga towards the end and there's a Part 2 timeskip that caused even more filler, and apparently that filler is horrible, so I think I'll skip that.

But yeah, of all the animes I've EVER seen, this is by far the most intelligent and well thought out. I'm scratching my head as to why (besides the filler) this is so hated.

Butting in for randomness!
#1. "BLEACH: Hell Chapter" is coming out on December 4.

I have to admit that (outside of the music) my initial experience with Bleach was less than favorable, and I had written it off as Adult swim’s attempt to once again suck adults into another Shōnenseries masqurading as an adult anime series. However, I’ve been catching a few more episodes on adult swim over the last month while flipping channels, and I have to admit that it’s starting to become interesting.

#2. Can anyone weigh in on Paprika, good or bad?

Paprika is about as good as it gets when it comes to quality animation, story and delivery. It’s one of those anime films you watch, and literally forget your watching something that is animated

So last month, after hearing a lot of complaints from one side of friends and a lot of praise from another side, I finally have been watching Naruto. I really really really don't get the hate for this show. It is one of the deepest, richest universes I have EVER experienced. I've been told there's a horrible amount of filler because they caught up to the manga towards the end and there's a Part 2 timeskip that caused even more filler, and apparently that filler is horrible, so I think I'll skip that.
But yeah, of all the animes I've EVER seen, this is by far the most intelligent and well thought out. I'm scratching my head as to why (besides the filler) this is so hated.

Personally, I think it’s way over-hyped. I don’t hate it… but also don’t care for it either and I have a hard time trying to watch it. Although it has a decent story arc, and well developed characters (from what I’ve watched, which is only a handful of episodes), the dialouge and character interaction seems shallow and panders to the “under 14” crowd, much like Dragon Ball Z, Inuyasha, ect. Ect. In short, it’s a Shōnen anime in my eyes which does nothing for me.

That kind of anime is great for lazy Saturday morning entertainment, or if I’m wanting to watch something with my daughter, but on my own time, I just can’t seem to get into it.