Recommend Finnish music

Not necessarily metal either.
In that case I'd also recommend
(and pretty much everything Timo Kämäräinen does)

as well as:
Waltari
Ben Granfelt
Kotipelto
Kingston Wall
Crazy World
Lauri Porra
Tuomas Wäinölä
Olavi Uusivirta
SUPO
Uusi Fantasia
Arion

Last edited by a moderator:
STONE!!!!!

Yay, you're right, listening to them for weeks, but didn't come to my mind, to mention them...

Just in case, if there's a person on this forum, who doesn't know this version. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Saw them live a couple ov years ago and they had constant doublebass going on with a darkish folkmelody, they really did good work with the blasting thing, they work live but not on CD. Oh and saw them in 2004 back when they still did memorable music.

Folk metal in general is pretty shitty.

Just finished listening to all Kalmah's albums, their best albums imo, are from the black waltz to their newest, except 12 gauges, nothing has catched my ears on that album. On the swampsong album, they are getting better, maybe I will give some chances to the first two too.

Btw, the song "The Trapper" sounds just like a rip off of "Roundtrip to hell and back", still good tune.

Kalmah - The Trapper, yeah they're using the first notes of the Roundtrip melody, ripping off. Then there's a nice riff. Then they're totally ripping off Roundtrip again. :) The intro in To the Gallows is amazing. Black Waltz has nice melody. This stuff is ancient, man.

Whispered apparently lived same childhood as me. First a Megaman cover, now Silverfang. They just... totally rape them, I'm sorry. They don't have control over the speed and desired death influences, it sounds restless and kinda naive really.

One of the best Finnish songs, from 1976. Pretty sure there's a better version but I can't fucking find it.

Here's a metal version with dedicated vocal melody.

Impaled Nazarene from Finland. Absence of war does not mean peace and All that you fear are my favorite albums.
Hey guys, was wondering if y'all could recommend some other great bands from Finland. Not necessarily metal either.

I have these Finnish bands on heavy rotation:

COB
Kalmah
Mors Principium Est
Sonata Arctica
HIM
Ensiferum
Moonsorrow
Norther
Wintersun
Skyfire
Imperanon

just to name a few.

ALSO... if anyone knows the phase effect/keyboard Kalmah uses on songs like Human Fates, that would be a huge bonus. i fucking love that sound

The 69 Eyes, check albums Blessed Be and Devils.

Timo Rautiainen & Trio Niskalaukaus
, check album Rajaportti, best heavy rock there exists.

To/Die/For, check album Epilogue, it's the first CD I ever bought and it's probably my all time top 2 favourite after Follow the Reaper. Fucking weird, isn't it, as FTR was the 2nd CD I ever bought.

I must've had supernatural instinct. Then again, how depressing is it, had I known I will NEVER find CD's I like more, despite listening to thousands upon thousands of CD's. Those are nostalgia albums for sure (as is HIM's Razorblade Romance which is the 3rd album I ever bought and probably my all time 3rd favourite) but I don't explain that with nostalgia, they just are bloody good.

Apart from the Middle band who I haven't heard before, I want to endorse this post in general.

I'm a big fan of The 69 Eyes, in particular the 'Blessed Be' and 'Devils' albums which I also think are there best.

And as for To/Die/For, the first five albums are masterpieces and the best of them all is'Epilogue' which is a true classic. By the way the new album 'Cult' is a real disappointment and Jape's voice is shot.

So well done to this guy for great taste in music basically.

In case someone missed it, Lost Society released a new album today, titled Braindead.
Having the first listen now and it's might be their best one yet, certainly their most grown up. Great vocals, great riffs, epic solos.

In case someone missed it, Lost Society released a new album today, titled Braindead.
Having the first listen now and it's might be their best one yet, certainly their most grown up. Great vocals, great riffs, epic solos.

I am glad to see them leaving thrash and going more in death metal direction.

I'm enjoying Evil Drive quite a bit. For those who like Arch Enemy.

Last edited:
Braindead came out yesterday? It's been in the beautiful stores of the Internet since December for a compelling price of zero dollars. I dislike their new direction, the new terror hungry is the best track. Don't know why you would want another average death metal band of which there are plenty instead of one of the best new thrash bands.