Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Visceral Evisceration - Incessant Desire For Palatable Flesh
Bethlehem - Dictius Te Necare
Winter - Into Darkness
disEMBOWELMENT - Transcendence Into The Peripheral
Vital Remains - Dawn of The Apocalypse

Line treaders :)

I like this list.

Not 100% death metal, more prog (and they suck, but some people seem to like them and maybe you will too): Amoral. Havent heard the new album, dont know if its out at all.
Not death metal, but prog with death vocals: Hieronymus Bosch. They suck as well, but if you like the description, then go for it.

You have to listen to disembowelment.
They are doomdeath though. But there is atmosphere and emotion and it is not always doomishly slow, but also has faster parts. And it is rather unique in feeling and sound as far as i can see.

Good emushunol/atmospheric/epic death metal:

Caducity - Whirler of Fate
Golem - Dreamweaver
Cryptal Darkness - Endless Tears

Hypocrisy's The Final Chapter is pretty emotional. Also try Paramaecium's Within the Ancient Forest, Draconian's Arcane Rain Fell, Swallow The Sun's The Morning Never Came, Insomnium's Since the Day It All Came Down, and Novembers Doom's The Knowing. Emotional death and doom are the best genres of music, i think.

And I don't know how I forgot but you also got to check out Depresy-Sighting, and Septic Flesh-Mystic Places of Dawn. If you like Vehemence's God Was Created then you love Depresy's Sighting.

I'd recomend: Suffocation - Effigy of The Forgotten.

I'm being absolutely serrious, and this is why: Music is art. What do we define as art? Something that expresses emotion. If it doesnt express emotion, than its not really serving its purpose. People define emotional as being sad, or depressed, etc. I don't really agree with that. I only listen to emotional music actually, music that makes me feel something when I listen to it.

Effigy of The Forgotten does this perfectly for me. I can't really think of any piece of art, be it music, painting, sculpture, or any of the unlimited amount of mediums of expression that expresses a total rejection of society, a rejection of preset beliefs and morals, as well as Suffocation does. This is Nihlism at its best.

The Deacon Dr. O said:
I'd recomend: Suffocation - Effigy of The Forgotten.

I'm being absolutely serrious, and this is why: Music is art. What do we define as art? Something that expresses emotion. If it doesnt express emotion, than its not really serving its purpose. People define emotional as being sad, or depressed, etc. I don't really agree with that. I only listen to emotional music actually, music that makes me feel something when I listen to it.

Effigy of The Forgotten does this perfectly for me. I can't really think of any piece of art, be it music, painting, sculpture, or any of the unlimited amount of mediums of expression that expresses a total rejection of society, a rejection of preset beliefs and morals, as well as Suffocation does. This is Nihlism at its best.

Indeed. I am not denying that hatred and rejection aren't emotions but what I am looking for is death metal exploring emotions other than what it normally does(hatred and rejection is amongst those).

Perhaps I should have been more clear about this in my topic title, great band anyways though \m/.

I feel like Arsis has a strange, almost romantic touch to it. It's weird, but they really do sound different to me than most DM bands.

By the way, while we're on the subject of the less common styles of Death Metal, can anyone think of any bands that have a really philosophical or psychological feel to them? I know that sounds strange, but for a while now I've been wondering about the existence of a band that really makes music like this. Songs concerning metaphysics, questioning reality, the ways we percieve it, etc.

Death isnt too bad, on this subject, but I want something more - Schuldiner is more spiritual than logical to me, on albums like Individual Thought Paterns, it seems like he is exploring cool ideas, but he never really took it far enough. He seems to have rejected Philosopy actually, if you read the lyrics to the closing track...

Depresy - Sighting
Dissolving of Prodigy - Time Ruins Also Beauty
Lux Occulta - The Mother and the Enemy
Thalarion - Tales of the Woods... Thus It Was Written
Dreams of Sanity - Komodia
The Gathering - Always
Corvus Corax - The Atavistic Triad
The Old Dead Tree - The Nameless Disease
Left Hand Solution - Fevered
Lilitu - The Earth Gods
Tiamat - Wildhoney

The Ocean - Fluxion
Novembre - any, but Novembrine Waltz comes most highly recommended
While Heaven Wept - Of Empires Forlorn
Rapture - any
Neurosis - A Sun that Never Sets (not death metal, but essential)
Mare - s/t
Year of No Light - s/t demo (good luck finding this...it's more than worth it, though)
Jesu - Jesu (once again, not death metal, but heavy and emotional)

You're not gonna find a whole lot of emotional death metal bands. I could give you a bunch of other emotional bands, but but they'd not fall within the realm of death metal.

Hm....not strictly Death Metal, but Therion's Symphony Masses was the first thing that came to mind.