RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reccommend Warning - The Strength of Dream

Doom with good vocal with a unique sound, which annoyed me at first, but I've really come around to enjoy his voice. The beauty of this album lays deep with the emotion that come in the vocals and when the guitars and drums run together perfectly.

Is Deicide worth checking out after the self titled debut? I swear I've asked this before, if so, apologies.

The debut album is so fucking KILLER, headbanging is mandatory. Did they deliver at all after this album?

byrne said:
you are the only person i have ever notice mention that album. weird, given tns's greatness.

i think bloodhymns is an excellent slab of solid blackened death. nothing fancy, just well written songs.

TNS is even better, yes. but i do prefer bloodhymns to darkside and third antichrist.

im anxious to hear Hrimthursum

Testament and Metallica became a lot less thrashy after their first fullenths. I think both bands were about song writing over being thrash.

A question for timebird and dodens grav.

Is there any oldschool thrash or death metal albums you guys actually do not like ?. I'm curious to see small lists.

The Greys said:
Is there any oldschool thrash or death metal albums you guys actually do not like ?. I'm curious to see small lists.

There are plenty of shitty old school albums, like Defiance's entire discography and later Grave. I would make an extensive list if I cared enough to do so and paid more attention to crap that isn't worth my time, but yeah, there are plenty of oldschool bands that suck.

Hammer of Might said:
Is Deicide worth checking out after the self titled debut? I swear I've asked this before, if so, apologies.

The debut album is so fucking KILLER, headbanging is mandatory. Did they deliver at all after this album?

Once Upon The Cross + Serpents of the Light = Skill.

THe live album is also my fave DM live album of all time.

The Greys said:
Testament and Metallica became a lot less thrashy after their first fullenths. I think both bands were about song writing over being thrash.

not at all in testament's case. the new order just included more of skolnick's passion (i.e. jazz) and it still ruled (so much so, that it was better than the legacy). the otherside being metallica which was minus 1 DAVE MUSTAINE who you for no apparent legitamate reason hate. much akin to your unfounded dislike for at the gates (who suprise suprise, you no longer hate), dave mustaine rules anything you have ever heard. THAT is why the albums are less thrashy. go listen to megadeth's early catalogue for what metallica should have written.

ps: @ doden - after your comparison of hypnosia and sauron, i decided id check out what i hadn't heard. it is a laughable comparison. hypnosia is about 7 million times as good as a bunch of guys who sound like they recorded an album out of an empty can of baked beans. completely independent of whatever "ultraboris" says (whoever the fuck that is).

The Greys said:

agreed but testament always felt like a band that never reached their full potential to me. while they made a lot of great songs and the musicians were top notch they also did a lot of stuff that came across as being pretty mediocre or unrealized. i've been pretty happy with eric petersons dragonlord project so i'm kinda optimistic for what a new testament album might sound like and i wouldn't mind if he and chuck billy shared vocal duties a bit now that eric's started to come into his own.

The Greys said:

Most of them. Like most new metal bands, most old metal bands sucked. As a bonus, deluxe level answer, take this from me: do not, ever, buy, download or listen to "Acid Reign"

byrne said:
hypnosia is about 7 million times as good as a bunch of guys who sound like they recorded an album out of an empty can of baked beans.

The songwriting is far superior.

Carcassian said:
Most of them. Like most new metal bands, most old metal bands sucked. As a bonus, deluxe level answer, take this from me: do not, ever, buy, download or listen to "Acid Reign"

how do you feel about agent steel? oh yeah tell me a story about skyclad. yay or nay? good albums?

Can some one reccommend me stuff along the lines of Elend, like dark-ambient stuff with harsh vocals? I wouldn't mind clean, but I want something in the vein of evil stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.