RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
swizzlenuts said:
Can some one reccommend me stuff along the lines of Elend, like dark-ambient stuff with harsh vocals? I wouldn't mind clean, but I want something in the vein of evil stuff.

Dargaard - Eternity Rites.....perhaps

byrne said:
not at all in testament's case. the new order just included more of skolnick's passion (i.e. jazz) and it still ruled (so much so, that it was better than the legacy). the otherside being metallica which was minus 1 DAVE MUSTAINE who you for no apparent legitamate reason hate. much akin to your unfounded dislike for at the gates (who suprise suprise, you no longer hate), dave mustaine rules anything you have ever heard. THAT is why the albums are less thrashy. go listen to megadeth's early catalogue for what

I have heard older megadeth. Dave has some cool ideas but nothing really strong throughout the albums from beginning to end. The first album for example is short and seems really rushed. I could never stand dave's vocals and on the albums his vocals are so upfront to me not really sounding right with the music. I consider dave overrated as a musician. Megadeth's only above average cd to me are rust in peace, despite that daves vocals kill it for me.

Older Megadeth is more thrashy but metallica is more epic and their songwriting is better.

On ATG's I thought they sucked but it was based on the bands newer album. I had no idea the band would have released gardens of grief or TRISKIO or even have been in Grotesque. I could not picture either. It's not like I heard newer megadeth assuming the band sucked based on that. I actually bought So Far, So Good...So What! having it used for awile until selling it to a local music.

The music is more unconventional than say metallica just not in a good way to me. Older Metallica is a lot less cheesy. As a guitarist daves he's more intricate than james but james has better rythmn.

There are so many bands on earth to listen to that i'm not going to try getting use to the vocals just because the music.

Being a Graveland/Fullmoon fan, you'll certainly enjoy (to some extent) the latter 2. I prefer Ohtar over Moontower, but why not just get the split and save yourself the price of a CD?

MasterOLightning said:
You might as well start with Prometheus, or even Ihsahn's solo album before listening to the good Emperor album(s). Those would probably be more in tune with your taste, judging from your av/sig.
I listen to all metal genres, Death, Black, Power, and I love every single genre :) and judging by the I am the Black Wizard video, Emporer sounds like Black Metal to me.

Are there any death metal bands that have nature themes like Agalloch, Woods of Ypres and Drudkh or bands similar to those with death/grunt vocals?

fat bastard said:
how do you feel about agent steel? oh yeah tell me a story about skyclad. yay or nay? good albums?

Not heard much Agent Steel, so can't really comment.

I love(d) Skyclad. Personally, I would get them in this order:

Silent Whales of Lunar Sea
Prince of the Poverty Line
A burnt offering for the bone idol
Irrational Anthems
Folkemon
Vintage Whine
Wayward Sons of Mother Earth
Jonahs Ark

... the rest is a little "meh" to be honest. If you can get it, the "Tracks from the Wilderness" ep is pretty nice.

Be sure, of course, to pick up Sabbat - History of a time to come as well.

Carcassian said:
Not heard much Agent Steel, so can't really comment.

I love(d) Skyclad. Personally, I would get them in this order:

Silent Whales of Lunar Sea
Prince of the Poverty Line
A burnt offering for the bone idol
Irrational Anthems
Folkemon
Vintage Whine
Wayward Sons of Mother Earth
Jonahs Ark
thanks man im gonna look into it and probably try to grab forest of equilibrium or ethereal mirror while i'm at it. i've seen some good reviews for skyclad so far and im interested in hearing the vocals. the singer and lyrics are supposed to be total class.

Skyclad did a metal version of some song that used to be the theme tune for some UK kiddies show. I don't remember the name of the song, but it was their "big hit" type thing back then. It was a really cool wee tune, suitably metallized (it was on "Wayward Sons" I believe, track 4?)
But I never really got too into them. Pagans. Pfft.

DOn't be gay, Stormy. Skyclad rule. Also: don't recognise the kids show with the "Widdershins Jig". They might have been Pagan, but at least they weren't fucking vikings.

How old are you? I thought you'd remember that kids show - it was about two wee cute troll type things. I assume the tune was an old folk tune that Skyclad rejigged.
You gay fag arse bandit cock munching helmet toucher.

Status
Not open for further replies.