RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
V.V.V.V.V. said:
They're strictly good. At first I though they were really fucking awesome, but it wears off. I actually think of them as pretty lifeless, but that's what BM should be some of the time...the vocals are screechy/whiny and ridiculously reverbed...it's an acquired taste for sure. The riffs are like Demilich's only without the substance: think a lot of random (lo-fi) fretboard running, but it does sound oddly intriguing in a black metal context to have weird "technical" wander-y riffs hanging around...still, check 'em out.

Yeah, that's pretty much how I figured them to be. I've heard their demo and 2 tracks from their full length, and the guys telling me to check 'em out were ranting and raving about how great they were... and they are good, but not that good.

EleventhShadow said:
I want some thraaash.

fast 275 BPM stuff with 20 riffs a song. Tankard, Sepultura, Dark Angel-esque.

bonus points if it doesnt sound like it was recorded in a wet basement.
Sodom
Kreator
Artillery
Crucified Mortals
Destruction
Toxic Holocaust
Sauron
Hypnosia
Darkness
Exodus
Testament
Slayer
Nocturnal
Nocturnal Fear
Overkill
Sarcofago
Vindicator

I'm sure you've heard of most of them, but what you haven't be sure to check out.

byrne said:
Manilla Road - where do i start? :-o

Crystal Logic, Open The Gates, The Deluge, or Mystification...take your pick, really. Each one gets progressively heavier and thrashier.

I'm getting the itch for Thrash again. Can you guys recommend me some bands in the vein of:

Corrupt
Annihilator
Sodom
Coroner
Destruction

Pretty broad range of thrash there - Sodom to Coroner. So I'll take that as FREE reign on suggestions:

Mortal Sin - Mayhemic Destruction
Drunkard - Hellish Metal Dominate

They are the two most recently listened to thrash bands on my stereo. Listening to MS right now!

the battle of lebanon, A KILLER!
the battle of lebanon, DESTRUCTION!

i can't see how manilla road could possibly let me down ...
*from m-a*

manilla%20road.JPG

can't wait to hear this. :D

Hey all! I've been listening to a lot of new bands lately, but none of them have really hit me as hard and I would REALLY like to find some new melodic/folk death bands. Here are some bands that I've listened to:

Ablaze My Sorrow
Amon Amarth
Arch Enemy
Archeon*
Blood Stain Child
Chain Collector
Children of Bodom*
Cipher System
Dawn of Relic
Dark Tranquillity
Deadlock
Disarmonia Mundi (I like a couple of songs)
Dispatched (some stuff is really good)
Duskfall, The*
Edge of Sanity
Embraced
Ensiferum*
Equilibrium*
Eternal Tears of Sorrow
Fall of the Leafe (some stuff is really good)
Finntroll
Gates of Ishtar
Hypocrisy
Imperanon
In Flames*
Insomnium*
Kalmah*
Mors Principium Est
Naumachia
Nightrage (some stuff is really good)
Norther*
Omniun Gatherum
Pathogen*
Scar Symmetry
Shadow (some stuff is really good)
Skyfire*
Soilwork (some stuff is really good)
Sonic Syndicate (some stuff is really good)
Suidakra*
Throne of Chaos
Wintersun*

* = bands that stand out

I know that's a long list and I'm sorry to make you read all of that, but if you guys can think of ANY bands, please suggest them! I'm in need of new stuff! It's not that I don't like the bands that don't have an asterik, it's just I think I like certain chord progressions and that makes it stick out for me. Like the intro to the Black Tears song by ETOS (I know it's by Edge of Sanity) is really catchy to me. Disarmonia Mundi, I really like the first three songs on that Fragments album. Hell, I even like Freedom Call a lot because so many of their songs use a similar chord progression that I find really catchy.

Again, don't get wrong, those bands that I've mentioned up there are great and I like them, it's just bands that use a certain chord progression tends to stick out (like the whole Timeless Departure album by Skyfire).

Thanks!

You mentioned folk, and therefore it's my solem duty as an Englishman to remind you of the awesome brilliance of Skyclad
: the music is good, but you'll stay for the lyrics.

I really like Ensiferum and Wintersun. I think you should give Amon Amarth and Hypocrisy another chance.

Some of my favorite "newer" bands are Persuader, Savage Circus, Primal Fear, and Arsis.

I also just got the latest CD from Arkona from Russia (not to be confused with Arkona from Poland) that is in the folk metal vein. It's really different so I don't know if you would like it or not. There are some samples HERE

Carcassian said:
You mentioned folk, and therefore it's my solem duty as an Englishman to remind you of the awesome brilliance of Skyclad
: the music is good, but you'll stay for the lyrics.

Thanks for the recommendation! I'll check them out!

The über destructive stuff:

Fall of the Grey-Winged One - Death Time Emptyness
Hierophant - The Tome
Teeth of Lions Rule the Divine - Rampton

Other stuff that rules but isn't as desctructive:

Funeral - Tragedies
Mournful Congregation - Monad of Creation
Worship - Last CD Before Doomsday
Thergothon - Stream from the Heavens
Loss - Life Without Hope... Death Without Reason
Stabat Mater - anything you can find

Status