RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thrash does not have hardcore.

Crossover has punk/hardcore and thrash, and really not much thrash.

The Greys said:
Thrash does not have hardcore.

Crossover has punk/hardcore and thrash, and really not much thrash.

You don't know your metal very well if you don't think that hardcore didn't have a hand in the creation of thrash metal.

He's 14 and has know idea what he's talking about.

Bands that started metal and influenced metal and thrash,etc.. existed way before hardcore.

I usually do not. I know the bands I listen to have nothing to do with hardcore music. You have no idea what you are talking about. You are going to have to get more in depth with specific times and bands to convince me otherwise.

OK I'll start with this extremely misguided post...

The Greys said:
Bands that started metal and influenced metal and thrash,etc.. existed way before hardcore.

The bands that started and influenced metal are obviously irrelevant as its thrash metal we're talking about and most people agree that thrash as it came to exist in the mid to late 80s resulted from a mixture of NWOBHM and the hardcore of the late 70s early 80s. The first thrash bands were (as far as I know) Overkill who formed in 1980 but did not release anything until 1983 and Metallica, formed in 81, who released their first demo in 82. Now I've not heard these early recordings but assuming they are thrash that puts the first thrash recording a whole year after one of the few important 80s hardcore albums I'm familiar with, Black Flag's Damaged. Now I know very little about hardcore but I'm willing to bet that there were recordings going back to the late 70s before any thrash bands had even formed (let alone started playing thrash) that can be considered hardcore and that were influential to the metal scene of the day. I can't prove that thrash was influenced by hardcore quite so easily but to me (and most) its pretty obvious that the rougher, more rhythmic metal of the 80s came about partly due to the incorperation of the agression and rawness of 70s punk and hardcore.

The Greys certainly lost a few of the credibility points he has been earning by not being a total moron all the time in this exchange, but lets move on...

I'm looking for some modern grind in the vein of early Nasum (ie cleanish production, some variation in tempo, possibly a bit of melody and groove) any suggestions?

I need some recommendations for Technical Death metal. I love Death and Atheist and was looking for other bands with a similar sound. Thanks.

can someone recommend some that i might like. i enjoy behemoth, necrophagist, opeth, bloodbath, dimmu borgir, edge of sanity (before they sucked), children of bodom, decapitated, wintersun. just to name some. if you guys know of any bands that are similar or that you enjoy along with these, let me know. appreciate it.

Livilour's cd, Devouring The Christian Flesh, is a highly underrated piece of death metal history. Not to mention their stageshows...sweet christ...live impalings? No wonder they're banned in all but one country

Status
Not open for further replies.