RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solipsist said:
Check out:
Destiny's End
Crescent Shield

http://blog.crescentshield.com/ (their whole album is available for listening here)

Great bands, but not really in the tradition of German Speed Metal. Whatever, general Speed Metal recommendations:

Abattoir
Agent Steel
Liege Lord (Master Control especially)
Stormwarrior
Solitaire
Deadly Blessing
Attacker
Griffin
early Living Death
Iron Angel
Realm
Have Mercy
Savage Grace
Sanctuary
Riot (Thundersteel)

into some industrial type metal these days, so ill just throw some recos out there:

Godflesh - Hymns, Streetcleaner, Selfless, Us & Them
Pitchshifter - Industrial, Submit, Desensitized
Fear Factory - Soul of a New Machine, Demanufacture
Scorn - Vae Solis

and for anyone into just plain great, moving music, try:

Swans - Great Annihilator, Love of Life, Burning World

or you could just listen to skyclad and abigor

I'd like to hear some metal bands with a very "open" feel. You know, where what the band doesn't play is more important that what they do play. I can't think of any bands that specifically play in this style, but certain songs that I could use as examples would be:
"Afraid To Shoot Strangers" (Some band from England)
"Dunkelheit" (Some band from Norway)
"Advent" (Some band from Sweden)
I know that's not much to go on, and there is no single genre that seems to use this style of composing more than others, but what can you guys come up with?

DeathsSweetEmbrace said:
I'd like to hear some metal bands with a very "open" feel. You know, where what the band doesn't play is more important that what they do play. I can't think of any bands that specifically play in this style, but certain songs that I could use as examples would be:
"Afraid To Shoot Strangers" (Some band from England)
"Dunkelheit" (Some band from Norway)
"Advent" (Some band from Sweden)
I know that's not much to go on, and there is no single genre that seems to use this style of composing more than others, but what can you guys come up with?
Do you mean band which tend to have sparse riffing patterns, or that can't seem to stick to one one riff. You named "Advent" from Opeth, which doesn't have any riffs repeated in more than one instance. All of Opeth's early work has a lot of riffs strung-together like that. They don't ever stick to one riff.

On the other hand, if you mean bands who play simplistic music, there are alot of bands that fit that description...

J. said:
are you generalizing, or have you actual listened to these albums?

I want to hear the Scorn album, but I have heard old Pitchshifter, Godflesh, etc. I mean, it's better than "industrial rock" (which is what many people consider fucking Rammstein and things like that).

But pure industrial/noise is way better. Then again, I'm biased. :p

And yeah Swans rocks.

Status
Not open for further replies.