RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Borknagar should I get next, I already have Olden Domain.

You have a choice of going backwards and getting the self-titled debut, which is simpler and more black-metally that The Olden Domain but has the same vocalist, Garm, who shrieks most of the time but does some chants here and there. The album has a wonderful atmospheric production.

Or go forward with The Archaic Course, an album that takes The Olden Domain's sound further, and in my opinion improves upon it, and it introduces a new vocalist, Vortex (best clean vox in extreme metal imo), who sings about 2/3 of the time and growls the other third.

After you fall in love with either or both of these albums, naturally you should go forward and pick up Quintessence, which keeps the same vocalist but the guitar sound and musical direction changes much. Certainly Borknagar's most intense album, it represents the band's creative peak before the more progressive direction carries the later albums Empiricism and Epic, which have another new vocalist, Vintersorg.

And if you love acoustics with your folk metal, be sure to check out Origin, the band's latest album.

anathema never really caught me. i listened to "judgement" and it was ok, from memory. havent listened to it in a good 2 yrs though.

however, im listening to Death Angel - The Ultraviolence (title track to be specific), its epic and thrashtastic. You should all do the same.

in addition to this, i havent seen tormentor discussed for a while. anno domini is superb. it is raw yet melodic, thrashing, black metal - clearly a big influence for dissection (who's fans would no doubt love it). plus, anyone who enjoys attila's (mayhem - dmds) chilling death like vocals should also give this a listen.

in addition to this, i havent seen tormentor discussed for a while. anno domini is superb. it is raw yet melodic, thrashing, black metal - clearly a big influence for dissection (who's fans would no doubt love it). plus, anyone who enjoys attila's (mayhem - dmds) chilling death like vocals should also give this a listen.

Agreed, it's a hugely underrated album.

A true hallmark of first wave Black Metal that goes largely ignored, along with a good deal of Czech stuff...and a shitload more. Nobody cares about the first wave anymore.

I'm really loving Behemoth's earlier material, back when they were playing black metal. Please reccomend similar bands to this non-Norwegian, black metal style.

I never got into black metal besides the early Venom stuff, and I don't know shit about the later stuff at all. A friend played me some of Mayhem's latest album not long ago and I was well impressed, although I've heard it's been canned by BM aficionados. Can someone recommend me 1 or 2 essential albums of the later stuff to get me started? Euro or non, as long as it's awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.