RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Then your opinion means jack shit, because you don't know what the fuck your talking about if you don't at least take a listen to it. Why do you comment on something you have no clue about?
I've heard this shit, but i don't listen to it. I hope you won't need a further translation for that. Even someone who has not heard any of the so called "viking metal" bands, could tell that this genre name is just something a "metal journalist" first wrote on a review (probably not meaning that there is a genre like this, but because it was cool to use it to describe the music of a metal band that was epic and talked about vikings/scandinavian mythology), then repeated by some and finally became a lolipop on internet forums, with every random person using it, only because others use it too. One of the most stupid and non-existant genre names ever. As all genre names that are based mostly on lyrics thematology rather than the music.

I always wondered if Enslaved were the ones who coined the term "viking metal" 'cause in the cd booklet thingy for Frost it says "Viking Metal" and that album came out in 1994. Were people saying "viking metal" before 1994?

I always wondered if Enslaved were the ones who coined the term "viking metal" 'cause in the cd booklet thingy for Frost it says "Viking Metal" and that album came out in 1994. Were people saying "viking metal" before 1994?

According to one of Varg's articles, all of the original Norwegian Black Metal bands had their own names (e.g. Immortal was Holocaust Metal), and Enslaved's genre was listed as Viking Metal in the article. I don't know if Quorthon ever refered to his stuff as Viking Metal...if not, I think Enslaved would be first. They also have a song called Viking Metal.

You can't tell me there is no difference between, say, Thyrfing and Fintroll. Yes, their is. Fintroll is Folk Metal, what the fuck would you classify Thyrfing as? BM? no. Folk Metal? no.

Viking Metal = incorporating folk/bastardized/metalized folk influences into metal

I need more 80's 'Bay Area' Thrash that sounds similar to unpolished sound of No Life 'Till Leather demo.
Please recommend lesser known bands (not Hirax, Exodus, Dark Angel)

It's probably the same deal as the origins of death metal and black metal. They were vague, unclear terms that someone used specifically and popularized.

According to one of Varg's articles, all of the original Norwegian Black Metal bands had their own names (e.g. Immortal was Holocaust Metal), and Enslaved's genre was listed as Viking Metal in the article. I don't know if Quorthon ever refered to his stuff as Viking Metal...if not, I think Enslaved would be first. They also have a song called Viking Metal.

Viking Metal = incorporating folk/bastardized/metalized folk influences into metal

wasn't Bathory's later works considered Viking metal too?

Another request. Does anyone know any really really heavy bands? Not as in most hardcore/evil sounding, but as in the sounds of their instruments is so deep and powerful sounding that most speakers can't handle it.

The heaviest I've ever heard personally is a Japanese band called MUCC, their music isn't completely all out hardcore stuff, but in some songs their instruments are just so heavy it's crazy. If you wanna check um out the songs Dakukuu, Bouzenjishitsu, and Isho are really good to get your heavy music fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.