RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
The concept of "heavy" is pretty abstract. For me band with the heaviest sound in the universe is Trouble, some might not find them heavy at all. It depends on how you define "heaviness" and by what criteria you appreciate it. Then again.. "Black Sabbath" is the heaviest song ever ... objectively.

The concept of "heavy" is pretty abstract. For me band with the heaviest sound in the universe is Trouble, some might not find them heavy at all. It depends on how you define "heaviness" and by what criteria you appreciate it. Then again.. "Black Sabbath" is the heaviest song ever ... objectively.

I define heaviness with technicality, distortion, atypical lyrics and songwriting ability. Any band who can seamlessly meld these qualities is considered "heavy" by me. Genre is not important to this, however.

You can go on forever arguing who the heaviest band is, as different people have different definitions of heavy. Most would say that (insert brutal death metal band here) is the heaviest band, or some slower paced but bone crushing extreme metal band. Second most commonly, people will tell you that Black Sabbath is the heaviest band (this I really don't understand, but heavy means different things to different people). One CD that kinda fits both definitions of heavy (slow thick doom and extreme metal) is the new CD by Wreck of the Hesperus. The guitar sound is thick, the riffs are slow, dark and pounding, and the bass level is like that on Black Sabbath - Master of Reality. I myself can't even decide what single band I think is heaviest. I do think brutal death is heavy, since slam riffs are as heavy as fuck (but not necessarily good). Bands I think are among the heaviest include Infester, Suffocation, Asphyx (not brutal but heavy), Nile, Thornesbreed, Obituary (first two), Despondency, etc.

Yeah I know it's abstact, thats why I was trying to specify that I meant the distortion of the instrument and how deep and powerful it sounded. Speed, Lyrics, and Vocal types would not be a factor (unless the vocals are soul-shatteringly heavy).

Another request. Does anyone know any really really heavy bands? Not as in most hardcore/evil sounding, but as in the sounds of their instruments is so deep and powerful sounding that most speakers can't handle it.

For me Doom and Sludge metal has the heaviest sound, with that in mind, it doesn't get much heavier than these guys:
Krux
Electric Wizard
Heavy Lord
Crowbar

Heavy sounding death metal:
Miasma
Morpheus Descends

then what are some bands that are as brutal in the same way as behemoth and suffocation???

meaning with that deep and crushing production where blastbeats destroy absolutely everything in its path

Carnage doesn't have stupid shitty blastbeats so it's not what you're looking for anyway.

Also, to the guy looking for Thrash, I thought you were looking distinctly for Bay Area bands, not more generally...more generally:

Flotsam And Jetsam - Doomsday For The Deceiver
Artillery - Terror Squad
Morbid Saint - Spectrum Of Death
Vulcano - Bloody Vengeance
Exumer - Possessed By Fire
Turbo - Last Warrior
Debustrol - Neuropatolog
Bulldozer - The Day Of Wrath
Realm - Endless War
Toxik - World Circus
Deathrow - Raging Steel
Blind Illusion - The Sane Asylum
Hirax - Not Dead Yet
Forbidden - Forbidden Evil
Whiplash - Power And Pain
Blood Feast - Kill For Pleasure
Master - With The Noose Around The Neck
Holy Moses - Finished With The Dogs
Necronomicon - Apocalyptic Nightmare
Sacrifice - Forward To Termination
Razor - Violent Restitution
Infernal Majesty - None Shall Defy
Voivod - War And Pain
Mutilator - Immortal Force
MX - Simoniacal
Executor - Rotten Authorities
Chakal - Abominable Anno Domini
Sextrash - Sexual Carnage

Because they're greatly overused in modern Death Metal. Blastbeats are supposed to be used as a garnish on a fine cuisine, not drenching french fries with ketchup.

Off to the music store.

QUICK, what should I get?

edit-It's FYE or something, so if it gets anymore underground than Gorgoroth they are not going to have it.

Status
Not open for further replies.