RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I personally think Canadian death metal owns just about everything. The Canadian metal scene is awesome. Like UneXpect, one of the best metal bands around.

Speaking of which I'll be seeing them in a couple weeks as they are coming to my University town, Waterloo (trust me, no metal bands play here). I am looking forward to it not only for the bizarre music but for what is hopefully an equally bizarre performance.

I wouldn't say it's quite 'awesome' because if you took away Quebec Canada would basically have Devin Townsend and Electro Quarterstaff; not exactly massive.

Also, it seems like you haven't checked out much oldschool Scandeath so I recommend you do. Here are some starters:

At The Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours, Gardens of Grief EP
Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Demilich - Nespithe
God Macabre - The Winterlong
Carnage - Dark Recollections
Liers in Wait - Spiritually Uncontrolled Art
Grotestque - In the Embrace of Evil
Molested - Blod Draum

Speaking of which I'll be seeing them in a couple weeks as they are coming to my University town, Waterloo (trust me, no metal bands play here). I am looking forward to it not only for the bizarre music but for what is hopefully an equally bizarre performance.

I wouldn't say it's quite 'awesome' because if you took away Quebec Canada would basically have Devin Townsend and Electro Quarterstaff; not exactly massive.

Also, it seems like you haven't checked out much oldschool Scandeath so I recommend you do. Here are some starters:

At The Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours, Gardens of Grief EP
Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes
Demilich - Nespithe
God Macabre - The Winterlong
Carnage - Dark Recollections
Liers in Wait - Spiritually Uncontrolled Art
Grotestque - In the Embrace of Evil
Molested - Blod Draum

I've heard At the Gates but not the other bands you mentioned. I'll check them out.

You can't write off subgenres like that, because taste is totally subjective. I personally hate power metal but I'm not going to say a power metal fan is wrong when they like Blind Guardian more than Cryptopsy. I like Cryptopsy more but I'm not right, there is no right.

Cadaver-...In Pains is still the greatest DM album from Scandinavia, for few are as graceful and subtle,IMO:)

I guess I need to listen to this more because based on the 4 or 5 listens I've given it, I wasn't very impressed at all.

I guess I need to listen to this more because based on the 4 or 5 listens I've given it, I wasn't very impressed at all.
It's pretty simplistic on the surface but strikes oh so deep on recurrent listens. Listen to how the vocals harmonize with the music. An absolutely mesmerizing album. By far the only DM album I can hold on repeat for days and not get physically exhausted from it. It's strangely inviting and relaxing. And the production on it is sheer genius. I've never heard heard anything quite like it.

Yep, ...In Pains is definitely something very special.

My top five of Scan-death is...

Demigod - Slumber of Sullen Eyes (Simply unstoppable)
Therion - Beyond Sanctorum
Liers In Wait - Spiritually Uncontrolled Art
Cartilage - The Fragile Concept Of Affection
Unleashed - Shadows in the Deep

With honorable mention to Blod Draum by Molested and The Awakening by Merciless.

I know it's been mentioned a million times before on this board, but I need to find a good site or two where I can order metal albums. My brothers birthday is this month and all he wants is a cop of Still Life.

So if anyone could fill me in or even just direct me to somewhere on UM that already has the answer, that'd be just peaches.

Top 5 of early Euro-death metal:

1. Demilich - Nespithe
2. Carnage - Dark Recollections
3. Miasma - Changes
4. Molested - Blod Draum
5. Traumatic Voyage - Traumatized

Can someone recommend me some good modern death metal? Bands like mithras, drawn and quartered, decapitated (first 2 albums) or anything brutal, technical as long as it has a good production.

Can someone recommend me some good modern death metal? Bands like mithras, drawn and quartered, decapitated (first 2 albums) or anything brutal, technical as long as it has a good production.

Soulreaper: written in blood

I recently heard Cartilage for the first time, fucking great.

I found them generic and almost crappy. Funebre-children of the scorn is far superior finnish death metal. I am surprised Malignance does not think to highly of this album.

Status
Not open for further replies.