RECOMMENDATIONS THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Any bands that mix metal with jazz or country? I think it would be interesting to hear how it comes out, could even be good if done really well.
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Daughters
Ion Dissonance
Uncrossed
Meshuggah
Coprofago

Tomas Haake's (the drummer) work is all based on jazz. He mixes metal and jazz. The guitarist does pretty much the same.
Listen to Frederick Thordendals Special Defects - "Sol Niger Within" (the album of Meshuggah's drummer(he sings there), guitarist and Morgan Agren as a drummer. It's full of jazz. And it's damn CRAZY.

I'll take your word for it since I really don't want to listen to Meshuggah. I remember back when I listened to "Nu" Metal that Mudvayne and early Slipknot incorporated Jazz. The people in those bands are actually pretty incredible musicians, but just make shitty music. Same for bands like Dragonforce and Dream Theater, great musicians; shitty music.

I'm pretty sure there's no Jazz in Meshuggah.

Not really. Meshuggah are more like we're not jazz musicians and we know about 2% of jazz and through in these little so called psuedo jazz parts on our albums once in awile so metal heads think we're really prog and technical, but majority of our riffs are really simple and we don't even need 7,8 string guitars because we play a few notes on a couple strings. WE'RE MESHUGGAH AND FOOLED METAL HEADS!

I'm not sure about Slipknot, but Mudvayne uses a lot of polyrythm in their music. Polyrythm is very popular in jazz. But polyrythm is not definitely jazz of course. So maybe some people get confused in that stuff. Personally I don't hear any jazz in Mudvayne's music. Though I have to admit that as musicians those people are good.

Not really. Meshuggah are more like we're not jazz musicians and we know about 2% of jazz and through in these little so called psuedo jazz parts on our albums once in awile so metal heads think we're really prog and technical, but majority of our riffs are really simple and we don't even need 7,8 string guitars because we play a few notes on a couple strings. WE'RE MESHUGGAH AND FOOLED METAL HEADS!
Stop talking about stuff that you know nothing about.

I'll take your word for it since I really don't want to listen to Meshuggah. I remember back when I listened to "Nu" Metal that Mudvayne and early Slipknot incorporated Jazz. The people in those bands are actually pretty incredible musicians, but just make shitty music. Same for bands like Dragonforce and Dream Theater, great musicians; shitty music.

dragonforce are not great musicians, watch live videos of them and they are shit

and I am struggling to see how nu metal bands are "incredible musicians", we are talking about bands like slipknot limp bizkit korn and linking park, any average prog/tech death metal band is a 100x more talented than any nu metal

Stop talking about stuff that you know nothing about.

I have been playing guitar for around 6 years(one year of lessons). Majority of Meshuggah riffs can be played on one string with mutes(e on a 6 string, do not play 7). Sadly you probably can't even do that regardless how easy it is. If you go buy a guitar I guarantee in a short while you can play and write music like meshuggah. In heavy music on what can be done with instruments on a 10 scale would give meshuggah a 3 and in music in general they they don't stand to anything. Meshuggah is nothing more than an amateur gateway band. I would say their drummer is a good drummer but that's all the credit they get. I am not even a great guitarist and realize how simple they are. Bands that are not even considered tech have harder music to play than them.

greys what would you rate mudvayne in terms of complexity on a scale of 1-10??

people talk about mudvayne as if they are some uber talented musicians but they are amateurs compared to any decent death metal band (and absolute trash compared to a band like martyr)

you should check out martyr (canada)

they make uber technical music look easy, and it is very catchy/accessible despite it's (very complex) nature

edit: I Know you love fucked up rhythms, few bands (outside of maybe gorguts) play more strange rhythms than martyr

I have been playing guitar for around 6 years(one year of lessons). Majority of Meshuggah riffs can be played on one string with mutes(e on a 6 string, do not play 7). Sadly you probably can't even do that regardless how easy it is. If you go buy a guitar I guarantee in a short while you can play and write music like meshuggah. In heavy music on what can be done with instruments on a 10 scale would give meshuggah a 3 and in music in general they they don't stand to anything. Meshuggah is nothing more than an amateur gateway band. I would say their drummer is a good drummer but that's all the credit they get. I am not even a great guitarist and realize how simple they are. Bands that are not even considered tech have harder music to play than them.
If you can play their riffs, it doesn't mean that their music is simple or thaht they don't have any talent. You also can put deep in the ass you comments about me not being able to play those riffs, as i'm not a guitarist and you know it. The matter is how to write this music and how to make it sound complete. Giong back on the topic - there IS jazz in Meshuggah's stuff. And their drummer is considered one of the world's best drummers today. And he's fucking genius. You're just bitching because you don't like how they sound.

greys what would you rate mudvayne in terms of complexity on a scale of 1-10??

people talk about mudvayne as if they are some uber talented musicians but they are amateurs compared to any decent death metal band (and absolute trash compared to a band like martyr)
Why the fuck would you compare alternative metal and death metal?

Really liking Ephel Duath guys, thanks to everyone who recommended them.

Question, so does good country/southern metal not exist at all or something? I really like southern rock like Ghost Riders in the Sky by the outlaws, has no one even attempted a metal equivilant to that type of music?

Edit: Also loving Meshuggah even if the jazz influence is subtle it's good music

If you can play their riffs, it doesn't mean that their music is simple or thaht they don't have any talent. You also can put deep in the ass you comments about me not being able to play those riffs, as i'm not a guitarist and you know it. The matter is how to write this music and how to make it sound complete.

that made very little to no sense

Status
Not open for further replies.