Resurrected Power Metal Thread

I really love power metal, probably my favorite genre. All you power metal fans: please check out my Serenity thread, this band kicks so much ass, and they need more support. If you are a fan of Sonata Arctica, check them out, they have a somewhat similar sound, but I like Serenity better.

^^^ Wow, fucking awesome! I will definitely pick up one of their albums!

Makes me want to buy a pirate ship and set sail. :lol:

I got that a while back. One listen and I was bored. A couple songs are fantastic - Set Sail And Conquer is the best - but overall kinda tedious and the pirate shtick gets old.

~gR~ wants the album for his bday. Perhaps if I'm feeling nice :)lol:) I will buy it for him and burn a copy. I'd rather listen to pirate power metal than metalcore anyday, tbh.

cov_ujr_big.jpg
cov_pr_big.jpg
cov_dog_big.jpg
cov_bs_big.jpg
cov_pos_big.jpg
cov_bhi_big.jpg
cov_m_big.jpg

Running Wild is just speed metal with pirate themes.

Alestorm actually feels like pirate metal. It's not a constant listener, but I'll generally throw it on every couple of weeks and enjoy it.

But srsly. Way to be behind the times Grimmy. They're touring the US soon I believe.

I was playing Turisas in my car the other day and my girlfriend asked "is this, like, pirate metal?" I laughed before explaining to her that most people term Turisas as Viking Metal. She said "same thing." I then proceeded to explain that that actually is an incorrect labeling, if you compare it to Viking Metal such as Bathory or Einherjer. They play folk metal mixed with a form of extreme power metal.

I'm not allowed to listen to Turisas while she's in the car anymore.

Running Wild is just speed metal with pirate themes.

Alestorm actually feels like pirate metal. It's not a constant listener, but I'll generally throw it on every couple of weeks and enjoy it.

But srsly. Way to be behind the times Grimmy. They're touring the US soon I believe.

Sorry I'm just not cool enough I guess! :mad: Blame ~gR~. He is supposed to tell me these things sooner.

...as it seems to have died and I feel like there's not enough love for power metal on this forum.

So, anyone heard the new Firewind yet?
I thought it was pretty average. A couple memorable songs (Mercenary Man, Angels Forgive Me, My Loneliness), a lot of filler. Lack of memorable riffs and choruses. Great solos. The bonus track is a cover of Maniac (from wherever it's from, everyone will recognize it as "that song that that asshole wouldn't stop humming"), and is somewhat out of place but cool.

My unofficial review. Other opinions?

6 months too late, but...

I think the album sucks. I think Allegiance sucks, too. But, Forged by Fire and everything before it are awesome metal albums. The songs are much more aggressive as Gus seemed to be more care free and loose than the latter Firewind albums. Now he just writes more of a rock n roll style that's too streamlined and predictable for my liking.

I'm dying for some new power metal though; something along the lines of Lost Horizon. I don't have time to sift through all of this thread so can anyone recommend any bands?

Bumping this.
Also, let's talk Rhapsody/of Fire.
Any news on a new album? And will there be more Christopher Lee?
Also, what are people's opinions on this band in general?
I love 'em. Great. And really, really goofy.

Finally downloaded Hibria's Defying the Rules. Fucking amazing true power metal with kickass guitar.
You should buy it ;)
I really hope the release a new album soon...ly.

I'm dying for some new power metal though; something along the lines of Lost Horizon. I don't have time to sift through all of this thread so can anyone recommend any bands?
I dont think anyone can top Lost Horizon.
Everything about the band is perfect.
Check out Highland Glory, not amazing, but decent.