Resurrected Power Metal Thread

"Also, let's talk Rhapsody/of Fire."

I'm not a big fan of them and I can't really figure out why. They are great musicians and have some epic themed albums but they just don't do it for me,as if they're lacking something. Every once in awhile I hear some part of one of their songs and think "hell ya!" but then it progresses into something I'm not interested in.

Now I know they've been around for awhile and the only albums I have of theirs are:

The dark Secret
legendary tales
Power of the Dragonflame
rain of thousand Flames
Symphony of enchanted lands 1 and 2

If you can recommend an album that you dig other than those I would give it a try. But as of now the only time I play Rhapsody is when my non-metal friends are over so we can all laugh at the speaking parts in "Tears of a Dying Angel" and "Gargoyles, Angels of darkness."

Running Wild is just speed metal with pirate themes.

Alestorm actually feels like pirate metal. It's not a constant listener, but I'll generally throw it on every couple of weeks and enjoy it.

But srsly. Way to be behind the times Grimmy. They're touring the US soon I believe.

i disagree completely. to me Running Wild feels like pirate metal. listen to songs like 'Under Jolly Roger', 'Riding The Storm', 'Tortuga Bay' or 'Treasure Island'. this is the finest pirate atmosphere you can get. Alestorm on the other hand sounds like boring and uninspired drinking music with shitty vocals. they have some good moments but most of the songs are just shallow and forgettable, while Running Wild offer a much deeper experience

I'm not a big fan of them and I can't really figure out why. They are great musicians and have some epic themed albums but they just don't do it for me,as if they're lacking something. Every once in awhile I hear some part of one of their songs and think "hell ya!" but then it progresses into something I'm not interested in.

Now I know they've been around for awhile and the only albums I have of theirs are:

The dark Secret
legendary tales
Power of the Dragonflame
rain of thousand Flames

If you can recommend an album that you dig other than those I would give it a try. But as of now the only time I play Rhapsody is when my non-metal friends are over so we can all laugh at the speaking parts in "Tears of a Dying Angel" and "Gargoyles, Angels of darkness."

Dawn Of Victory is an epic album you might want to check that one out.

Bumping this.
Also, let's talk Rhapsody/of Fire.
Any news on a new album? And will there be more Christopher Lee?
Also, what are people's opinions on this band in general?
I love 'em. Great. And really, really goofy.

Yeah, they're definitely a goofy band. Luca Turilli is a fucking nerd.

That said, they're excellent musicians and they write really, really bombastic, epic stuff. I definitely don't prefer them when it comes to power metal, but they're tons of fun to listen to.

However, when it comes to symphonic power metal, I prefer Turisas. I don't get why some people here (rms comes to mind) think Rhapsody is more badass than Turisas. Nay, that Turisas is "gay" music. In my opinion, Rhapsody are way cheesier than Turisas. Essentially, there's no argument you can give as to why Turisas is cheesy and gay that doesn't apply to Rhapsody (in my opinion). I'd much rather listen to Turisas, personally.

The dark Secret
legendary tales
Power of the Dragonflame
rain of thousand Flames

If you can't really get into Legendary Tales or Power of the Dragonflame, you probably won't get into them. Like Systematic said, Dawn of Victory has some very epic songs; but I don't think it's anything particularly more epic than Power of the Dragonflame (which I honestly think has some fucking incredible tunes on it).

The dark Secret
legendary tales
Power of the Dragonflame
rain of thousand Flames

tbh you have most of their stuff. I don't have Power of the Dragonflame, Rain of A Thousand Flames, or Dawn of Victory.
Their best songs imo are:
Silent Dream, The Myth Of The Holy Sword, and Heart of the Darklands from Triumph Or Agony
Rage of the Winter from Legendary Tales
Emerald Sword and Dark Tower of Abyss or w/e from Symphony 1
Pretty much all of Symphony 2, especially Unholy Warcry

Alestorm on the other hand sounds like boring and uninspired drinking music with shitty vocals. they have some good moments but most of the songs are just shallow and forgettable, while Running Wild offer a much deeper experience
This, aside from the shitty vocals bit. I got Alestorm's album a while back, listened once, and haven't had the urge to listen again.

Yeah, they're definitely a goofy band. Luca Turilli is a fucking nerd.

That said, they're excellent musicians and they write really, really bombastic, epic stuff. I definitely don't prefer them when it comes to power metal, but they're tons of fun to listen to.

However, when it comes to symphonic power metal, I prefer Turisas. I don't get why some people here (rms comes to mind) think Rhapsody is more badass than Turisas. Nay, that Turisas is "gay" music. In my opinion, Rhapsody are way cheesier than Turisas. Essentially, there's no argument you can give as to why Turisas is cheesy and gay that doesn't apply to Rhapsody (in my opinion). I'd much rather listen to Turisas, personally.
Tbh I don't like badass in my symphonic stuff. I strongly prefer Rhapsody to Turisas. As far as the quality of the symphonic elements, going by Battle Metal Rhapsody absolutely RAPES Turisas. But regardless, I see what you're saying.

Luca Turilli is hilarious, but a great guitarist. I don't even think of Rhapsody as a real power metal band, as they don't sound like one much.

However, Legendary Tales came with a map, which is so fucking awesome it's hard to describe. And also, Christopher fucking Lee narrates their last 2, which is excessively awesome.

If you can't really get into Legendary Tales or Power of the Dragonflame, you probably won't get into them. Like Systematic said, Dawn of Victory has some very epic songs; but I don't think it's anything particularly more epic than Power of the Dragonflame (which I honestly think has some fucking incredible tunes on it).
Replace "Legendary Tales" with "Symphony of Enchanted Lands" and you're dead on.

turisas.jpg

/boggle

How is it? They're not playing to a "gay fad" anymore than the second wave of black metal artists were with their corpse paint and battle-axes.

That's totally changing the point. Dimmu Borgir isn't a second wave black metal band. And secondly, Turisas never "sold out" because they were always doing the same thing. It's not their fault that people like their fucking music. Sure, they put on a show for their audience; but you're not saying how they're part of a "fad." You don't have to respond anymore, but I think you're just looking for an excuse because you don't like their music.

the whole viking metal fad. are you completely oblivious? what does it matter what wave of black metal has those retards with all the corpse paint and shit?

Shut the fuck up. They don't even play fucking Viking metal, they play folk metal along the lines of Equilibrium, Ensiferum, Moonsorrow, and the like. And that's not a fad, it's a fucking genre. According to your philosophy, any new band that adopts a certain style/genre label could be part of a "fad."

That's totally changing the point. Dimmu Borgir isn't a second wave black metal band. And secondly, Turisas never "sold out" because they were always doing the same thing. It's not their fault that people like their fucking music. Sure, they put on a show for their audience; but you're not saying how they're part of a "fad." You don't have to respond anymore, but I think you're just looking for an excuse because you don't like their music.
This.

the whole viking metal fad. are you completely oblivious? what does it matter what wave of black metal has those retards with all the corpse paint and shit?
If "viking metal" existed it's existed since Hammerheart (almost 20 years) and hasn't really changed in popularity since then. That's a pretty long-lived and unpopular fad. In fact, you couldn't really call that a fad, could you? No, actually, you couldn't.

Viking metal is just folk metal with viking lyrics. Turisas technically fit into this, but aren't. They're very symphonic, which is completely atypical of their alleged genre. Regardless, this is really stupid because IT'S NOT A FUCKING FAD! Do you see kids walking around in fucking Einsiferum shirts all the time being like ODEN MOTHERFUCKER? Because that might be a fad. But you don't.
So shut up.