Resurrected Power Metal Thread

if anyone is looking for some cool power metal with unique vocals, strong songwriting and catchy tunes, check out Wuthering Heights, if you haven't heard them. their album "far from the madding crowd" is pretty cool. im not good with subgenres, but im sure some of you could pin them down accurately. it's cool stuff.

if anyone is looking for some cool power metal with unique vocals, strong songwriting and catchy tunes, check out Wuthering Heights, if you haven't heard them. their album "far from the maddening crowd" is pretty cool. im not good with subgenres, but im sure some of you could pin them down accurately. it's cool stuff.

not a bad album, it's "madding" though - they reeeeeally like their classic lit

yea, stupid typo on my part.

and yea, they do. maybe they created a new genre unto themeslves, or maybe we can create one for them. like..."literature metal" or how about "classics core" or something??? im sure you can come up with better ones

Truth. Power metal is really easy to get wrong. Either too cheesy or not epic enough, either weak vocals or shitty vocals, etc, and even if you get everything right 99% of everyone will call it generic.

I used to only listen to power metal, but I think you can burn out on it. I've finally come back around to where I listen to it once in a while (with the exception of bands like Turisas and Kiuas, who I listen to a lot). It's the Euro power stuff that you can burn out on. It's like gorging on sugar, in my opinion. After a while it just becomes too much.

Now I'm pretty selective on the power metal I listen to too. It's mostly Kiuas, Turisas, Sabaton, Pyramaze, Falconer, HIBRIA (recently), and Blind Guardian.

Pyramaze is a great band, but Im not going to bother with them anymore beacuse of Barlow.
Lance King was an amazing singer.

I thought Immortal was a good record, but Barlow can't match King. The first two Pyramaze records were killer.

This is very true.
But, like sugar, sometimes a little Euro power can be so fucking awesome.

Absolutely. I still listen to bands like Freedom Call every now and then. Just not very often. :cool:

Finally checking out freedom call for the first time...
Not quite as gay as I'd hoped.
But really awesome. I love keyboards like that.

Anybody else listen to Sinergy? Good stuff, esp. the first 2. Jesper Stromblad, Alexi Laiho, and female vocalist (used to be keyboardist of Dimmu borgir iirc). Good stuff. 27% less gay than Bodom, and the female vocals legitimately work, rather than sucking.

Anybody else listen to Sinergy? Good stuff, esp. the first 2. Jesper Stromblad, Alexi Laiho, and female vocalist (used to be keyboardist of Dimmu borgir iirc). Good stuff. 27% less gay than Bodom, and the female vocals legitimately work, rather than sucking.
Its probably a good thing that they broke up. Im sure a new Sinergy album would sound like new shitty Bodom

Actually, I think they have finished a new album, but hasn't yet been fabricated into a cd. But that was in 2005 I think, dunno since then.