Celesty - Reign of Elements, Legacy of Hate and Vendetta
Balflare - Tempest and Sleeping Hollow
Crescent Shield - The Last of My Kind
Mystic Prophecy - Savage Souls
Elvenking - Heathenreel
Keldian - Journey of Souls and Heaven's Gate
Lost Horizon - Awakening the World and A Flame to the Ground Beneath
Sabaton - Primo Victoria and The Art of War

Thanks, I'll check out Keldian, Balfare, Cyberya, Secret Sphere, and Crescent Shield. Never was a fan of Elvenking. The bands I like best on that list are Lost Horizon and Mystic Prophecy. Celesty use to be alright but I think they sound like crap on their new release. As for the rest on that list I don't care about. I have pretty much a very strict power metal taste.

The bands I more prefer are...

Kiuas
Hibria
Nightwish
Dark Moor
Blind Guardian
Dark Empire
Rawhead Rexx
Iron Savior
Pyramaze (With Lance King)
Gamma Ray
Hammerfall
Cans

And If they count...

Children of Bodom
Norther
Cadacross

Are you aware Celesty has a (great) new album out called Vendetta which is much better than the last album before that (Mortal Mind Creation) or do you just for some reason dislike Vendetta?

Thanks, I'll check out Keldian, Balfare, Cyberya, Secret Sphere, and Crescent Shield. Never was a fan of Elvenking. The bands I like best on that list are Lost Horizon and Mystic Prophecy. Celesty use to be alright but I think they sound like crap on their new release. As for the rest on that list I don't care about. I have pretty much a very strict power metal taste.

The bands I more prefer are...

Kiuas
Hibria
Nightwish
Dark Moor
Blind Guardian
Dark Empire
Rawhead Rexx
Iron Savior
Pyramaze (With Lance King)
Gamma Ray
Hammerfall
Cans

And If they count...

Children of Bodom
Norther
Cadacross

You would be well-advised to check out Sabaton if these are your tastes in power metal. V5 already gave you good suggestions.

I again will mention Kamelot, as they are (I think) very solid, epic, melodic power metal. Limit your listenings to the albums they made after Roy Khan joined as vocalist. They're the best by far. I'd say start with The Fourth Legacy and work your way forward.

I never really like Celesty... They seem degraded without Kimmo though. And Sabaton sounds boring to me. They are unique but they just don't cut it for me. I always liked Kamelot though

I'd have to disagree there. Keldian's vocalist has more power than the average power metal singer. That, and their songs are catchy. I could ask for no more. I'm saving up to purchase Journey of Souls.

The part where I think Keldian does lack, even if only slightly, is in the song structures. They're very formulaic and simplistic. I think the band suffers from having no permanent line-up. The musicianship isn't as impressive and complex as I'd like it to be.

When listening to most music my main focus isn't really on how much of my definition of testosterone it seems to contain or not tbqh. A lot of bands are pretty much simple people who are quite alike many other people who just come up with an inspired melody and write a song, believe it or not. They don't really have a scale to weigh whether it's manly or grim or feminine or whatever it is, and usually are expressing something totally different than the simple broad things most listeners get from it. I find that especially true when discussing this sort of music, very strange.

and to add to the suggestion pile and second some of them, I would suggest:

Labyrinth - No Limits, Return to Heaven Denied, self-titled (way better and also much heavier, than 'Sons of Thunder')

the two Keldian albums..

Onward - Reawaken....since Crescent Shield was mentioned, this band was a very traditional, but slightly atmospheric old school/power metal band with the same vocalist as CS. Very good album.

Dark Moor - Tarot..my favorite album of theirs after the stellar 'Gates of Oblivion'

Grave Digger - Rheingold, Tunes of War, Excalibur

Falconer - self-titled, Sceptre of Deception, Northwind

Luca Turilli - Prophet of the Last Eclipse

Royal Hunt - Paper Blood

Pagan's Mind - enigmatic : calling

The last two are more of a power/prog blend but are excellent, should be mentioned, and are not hard to really get into at all, IMO.

Kamelot are my favourite power metal band, Karma is just epic. Everything from Seige Perilous to Epica are amazing. The Black Halo and Ghost Opera are still great albums but nothing in comparison.

If you like Kamelot I would check out Serenity aswell, they have 2 great albums out atm.

I think I'm probably the only one who thinks most of 'Epica' is a perfect example of slick production, boring songs. My favorites are 'Black Halo' and 'The Fourth Legacy'. 'Karma' is good but it has this weird greasiness to it that I can't really put my finger on. The songs from 'Ghost Opera' that I like, I REALLY like, but then it also has a few of their worst, like 'Blucher'. :puke:

Power metal needs more epic bands... Liek Blind Guardian and Nightwish. Without the epicness I just don't want to listen to much more of it. Too repetitive and too corny is just crap. I would like to hear a band with a vocalist similar to Robert Plant with the epicness of Nightwish. There could be a girl singing on the side as well but I don't mind either. It just amazed me when I heard the song Fire Within by Warmen. Absolutly outstanding. Just a more moderned progressive metal version of Led Zepplin would own so much

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you only have about 5 to choose from. Atheist and Morbid Angel are better choices, though.

Nothing beats cooking pasta while listening to Morbid Angel.

Well yeah, I'd say I have 5 favorite bands.

But I listen to more bands then I used to about last year, considering I now have money and stuff.

Power metal needs more epic bands... Liek Blind Guardian and Nightwish. Without the epicness I just don't want to listen to much more of it. Too repetitive and too corny is just crap. I would like to hear a band with a vocalist similar to Robert Plant with the epicness of Nightwish.

you need to check Wuthering Heights. there's no better power metal band nowadays. they perfectly unite epicness, great melodies, atmosphere and good songwriting with instrumental skills and phantastic vocals

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd have to disagree there. Keldian's vocalist has more power than the average power metal singer. That, and their songs are catchy. I could ask for no more. I'm saving up to purchase Journey of Souls.

The part where I think Keldian does lack, even if only slightly, is in the song structures. They're very formulaic and simplistic. I think the band suffers from having no permanent line-up. The musicianship isn't as impressive and complex as I'd like it to be.

I agree with this. I love the vocals but their music sounds a bit too simplistic for me sometimes. However, they have some really really catchy tunes and I look forward to seeing where they go from where they are now.

and to add to the suggestion pile and second some of them, I would suggest:

Labyrinth - No Limits, Return to Heaven Denied, self-titled (way better and also much heavier, than 'Sons of Thunder')

the two Keldian albums..

Onward - Reawaken....since Crescent Shield was mentioned, this band was a very traditional, but slightly atmospheric old school/power metal band with the same vocalist as CS. Very good album.

Dark Moor - Tarot..my favorite album of theirs after the stellar 'Gates of Oblivion'

Grave Digger - Rheingold, Tunes of War, Excalibur

Falconer - self-titled, Sceptre of Deception, Northwind

Luca Turilli - Prophet of the Last Eclipse

Royal Hunt - Paper Blood

Pagan's Mind - enigmatic : calling

The last two are more of a power/prog blend but are excellent, should be mentioned, and are not hard to really get into at all, IMO.

Good list. I completely forgot about Gravedigger.

I think I'm probably the only one who thinks most of 'Epica' is a perfect example of slick production, boring songs. My favorites are 'Black Halo' and 'The Fourth Legacy'. 'Karma' is good but it has this weird greasiness to it that I can't really put my finger on. The songs from 'Ghost Opera' that I like, I REALLY like, but then it also has a few of their worst, like 'Blucher'. :puke:

See, I think Epica is possibly their best album. I find the riffs on Epica far more interesting and exciting than The Black Halo (I still like the songs, but for instance: "Moonlight" has a very boring riff; definitely not Youngblood's best work). I agree that The Fourth Legacy is amazing though. It's between that and Epica for my favorite Kamelot album.