Resurrected Power Metal Thread

Holy hell, the Powerwolf song stomped my balls good there. Awesome.

I forgot I posted that video. The entire album is great, better than Lupus Dei (I think). It has some of their most epic, badass songs. Lots of choirs, which seriously increases the cheese factor; but the melodies are catchy as hell and the execution is superb.

I've only recently properly got into power metal, I've always been a big fan of thrash/death, along with more traditional metal like maiden/priest/etc, and this particular sub genre feels like what I've been searching for all these years. Particularly Blind Guardian, I think I've fallen in love with them! Hammerfall I like a lot too.

So many new bands to discover, gonna have a long look around here for recommendations :D

If anyone wants to throw something my way in here, feel free hehe

Out of those two bands you listed I can't quite figure out what element of power metal you like the most, but definitely check out the two Demons and Wizards albums (vocalist from BG and guitar player for Iced Earth). If you like the majestic feel Blind Guardian has try out Falconer (ST, Chapters from a Vale Forlorn and Northwind), and coming from liking more heavy music you should definitely check out Kiuas. Any of their albums are outstanding, but I recommend Spirit of Ukko to get started.

Other than that if you just browse this thread people have put plenty of links up to great power metal bands/songs.

The element that appeals to me most is the fast, heavy riffs along with strong vocals I think. However I don't like the softer bands like sonata arctica for instance, I prefer things that veer more towards speed/thrash metal with strong melodic elements, blind guardian being a very good balance of these I think. Will check out those mentioned above, thanks.

edit: Just found this one called Hibria, myspacing it now, pretty damn good!

Good shout on Kiaus too, got 'spirit of ukko' and its epic stuff, elements of power/thrash/death all melded into one, fairly unique sound

Will do, so many great bands to get through, not sure how I've managed to miss some of these in the past.

Currently working my way through Running Wild's early albums, was a bit wary of the 'pirate metal' thing hehe, but there's some cracking stuff so far.

Jag Panzer is a good rec, as are Demons and Wizards and Falconer.

Also, if you like the elements of traditional heavy metal/NWOBHM, then check out Twisted Tower Dire.

mm Falconer - Chapters from a Vale Forlorn is rather tasty, only halfway through and I'm liking it alot. Nice reccomendations guys :)

I don't know if you got to "Blazon Stone" yet, but that album is FANTASTIC.

I got to it today in fact and I agree totally, amazing riffs and just proper all out metal, I love it. My favourite one so far.

Blind Guardian - Live has a hold on me too lately.