Resurrected Power Metal Thread

I find Wintersun to be completely overrated, though I do find them much better than most of their Finnish counterparts (CoB, Norther, Kalmah) but that isn't saying much. However, I don't like the whole "Extreme" Power Metal scene anyways, so you could say I'm bias. There are much better bands out there.
wow whats with the finish Melodic Death metal hate some of my favorite bands after Power Metal and Progressive metal bands

Far too much of this thread for me to read it all, but Ive gotta say I love power metal, especially Edguy, Helloween, At vance, Sonata arctica (if you count them as power) and Nightwish (up untill tarja left).:kickass:

I like Glorious Burden but Framing didn't do anything for me, and I didnt hear an Owens cover of Barlow stuff.

Glorious Burden was a lot better than Framing. I think Framing has too many filler tracks. Another problem it suffers is that certain tracks are epic and powerful, and then there are others that lack the same ferocity. It's an inconsistent record; but still, I think there are some good songs there.

And Owens voice is still top notch.

Yeah...Sonata Arctica are progressive how?

They're definitely power metal. Of the flowery Eurogay variety, yes, but power metal all the same.

I think Owens was great for Iced Earth. Don't get me wrong, I like Barlow; but I can't stand all the Owens hate. He's a fucking great singer.

Don't get me wrong, he is indeed a great singer.

But in no way, shape, or form, does he fit into, or belong anywhere near, Iced Earth. Hearing him covering the Something Wicked trilogy on that single, just makes me want to vomit.

Progressive metal is any metal genre with progressive song structures, really. It doesn't qualify as a "genre" to me.

There is metal that is "stereotypically" prog metal a-la Dream Theater and I consider that to be "prog metal." Progressive ______ metal is something else entirely, depending on what is in the ______ space. Prog metal is a definite genre.