Resurrected Power Metal Thread

I would say it's a description as well, for the most part.

I think it comes down to these genres:

Heavy Metal
Doom Metal
Power Metal
Thrash Metal
Death Metal
Black Metal

All other genres are derivative genres of the above imo.

I almost always notice that symphonic metal just means "we have heavier guitars than rock so we're not rock but also look at our symphonic instrumentation!" So, I consider it more of a qualifier but I guess in this case it's sort of a subjective matter.

OI: What do you consider Dream Theater? Sun Caged? Communic? etc.?

Er...no. Sorry :p

Sabbath can be considered blues rock too but they're often considered heavy/doom metal because it's more accurate and specific.

Only Dream Theater vocals are sometimes similar to high pitched power metal vocals. As far as the instrumentation goes, I don't think they're that similar.

What about Queensryche? Progressive metal, or progressive power metal?

I don't get why people take so much time on arguing about genres, it's not so important... The only reason the division to genres exists is to make our lives easier by finding the common ground in several things, not so we can break our heads arguing about who belongs where etc.
Genres are pretty subjective. I mean, you can't call Sonata Arctica melodeath, but every person can have his own opinion about whether Symphony X is prog or power, and there is no right or wrong...

Edit: forgot to add: [/hippie rant] :)