Resurrected Power Metal Thread

This resurrected thread needs resurrecting :p

Anyway, it's one month till the new Pyramaze is out. I wonder what you guys think about them? They're one of my favorite bands and with Matt Barlow it's going to be one constant drool. The samples are more powerfull than ever, and I fucking love powerfull power metal :lol:

They have Barlow on vocals, hell yeah it's powerful. I can't wait either, it's going to be awesome. I just hope Pyramaze finds another singer. Barlow might not be hanging around if he's rejoining Iced Earth.

Uh! I am still of the impression that Barlow is completely and utterly over-rated. His vocals are ridiculously exaggerated in the "emotion" department and he just comes off way too cheesy. The first two Iced Earth were great US Power, and the two with Tim Owens were good, but everything Barlow touches, for me, turns into stale, lifeless music. He's a talented guy, but I'm not a fan at all. You'd be better off listening to Beyond Fear or Rob Rock's newest band Fires Of Babylon or a slew of other, better US Power Metal bands to get a good listen in.

You don't like Burnt Offerings? I think it is amazing tbh. I love the aggressiveness, the evilness, the riffs, the solos. But that is just my opinion.

I don't like American Power Metal with the exception of Kamelot who hands down had the best album in 2007

I love the cheesy stuff like Edguy,Dragon force, Power Quest

I also like some of the more serious European bands like Nightwish,Freedom Call and Sonata Arctica

Also if you like power metal check out Celesty and Axenstar its a shame to society these guys aren't as popular as Dragonforce

I find American power metal to be the best the genre has to offer.

You can't deny the likes of Fates Warning, Manowar, Helstar, Manilla Road, Jag Panzer, Savatage, etc.

Virgin Steele

Although they fall more in the epic/heavy metal category with elements of power metal. As of late they have adopted a more power metal sound.

Not a big power metal fan, I only enjoy 4 or 5 PM bands, like Iced Earth, DragonForce, CoB, Wintersun, etc.

Fuck, I love Wintersun though. Can't stop listening to their self-titled, and can't wait for Time to come out. :kickass:

Fuck, I love Wintersun though. Can't stop listening to their self-titled, and can't wait for Time to come out. :kickass:

I find Wintersun to be completely overrated, though I do find them much better than most of their Finnish counterparts (CoB, Norther, Kalmah) but that isn't saying much. However, I don't like the whole "Extreme" Power Metal scene anyways, so you could say I'm bias. There are much better bands out there.

Fair enough.

Like I said though, power metal isn't my forte, so I'm perfectly fine listening to Wintersun.

You should try Kiuas. They blend power metal with extreme metal techniques. I don't know if you'll like them, but they definitely stray from the typical "power metal" sound.

C.J.W. Wyatt said:
Uh! I am still of the impression that Barlow is completely and utterly over-rated. His vocals are ridiculously exaggerated in the "emotion" department and he just comes off way too cheesy. The first two Iced Earth were great US Power, and the two with Tim Owens were good, but everything Barlow touches, for me, turns into stale, lifeless music. He's a talented guy, but I'm not a fan at all.

Agreed, except for the talented part.

However, Americans totally rule at playing fucking power metal. Emphasis on "FUCKING and POWER."

He fit the band perfectly. but I guess Michael Kammeyer wants to be Iced Earth pretty damn badly.

Dude, Lance left before Matt joined, and Matt fits fucking perfectly with the band. The new samples are some of their best work, and Matt's vocals are amazing. Both Lance and Matt have really unique voices, Pyramaze rules with both of them.

Funny, I quit listening to Iced Earth when Owens was there, I can't fucking stand his vocals. :lol:

Barlow, on the other hand, is going to make me definitely check their next release. I really enjoy his vocals, including live performances (Alive in Athens, for example, sounds great IMO).

Fucking plus-one'd.

I'm not a big fan of Ripper either. In some songs he does sound good, but mostly his voice is somewhat annoying, and he didn't fit IE too well. Barlow however is just the right voice for them, and also the next album is going to be heavier (according to Jon), which would kick major ass with Matt.