Resurrected Power Metal Thread

Helloween>Iced Earth> All power metal

Oh God no. Beyond the few Iced Earth releases that I actually enjoy, there are several other power metal bands I would rather listen to.

And Helloween can be credited with starting the whole Euro-power sound; but in all honesty, that sound has been driven into the fucking dirt so much that I can hardly stand it anymore (and personally, there are several Euro-power bands that are way better than Helloween).

Oh God no. Beyond the few Iced Earth releases that I actually enjoy, there are several other power metal bands I would rather listen to.

Although many will agree with you about Iced Earth, I think Iced Earth has produced more than just a few enjoyable albums, and I am not even counting the few albums Ripper was on. (Hopefully you werent too :lol:)

I feel that Barlow's voice paired with Schaffer's song writing is a fucking incredible combination.

I do agree however that there are several other power metal bands one could listen to, that surpass Iced Earth, without a doubt. Im just trying to give credit where I think credit is due :)

And Helloween can be credited with starting the whole Euro-power sound; but in all honesty, that sound has been driven into the fucking dirt so much that I can hardly stand it anymore (and personally, there are several Euro-power bands that are way better than Helloween).

I may agree with your statement on Helloween, but Gambling With The Devil is a fucking amazing album.

Although many will agree with you about Iced Earth, I think Iced Earth has produced more than just a few enjoyable albums, and I am not even counting the few albums Ripper was on. (Hopefully you werent too :lol:)

I feel that Barlow's voice paired with Schaffer's song writing is a fucking incredible combination.

I do agree however that there are several other power metal bands one could listen to, that surpass Iced Earth, without a doubt. Im just trying to give credit where I think credit is due :)

In all honesty, the only records I own are Burnt Offerings, The Dark Saga, The Glorious Burden, and Framing Armageddon, and I actually think that Owens's voice is just as good, if not better, than Barlow's half the time. Just my personal opinion... man. :cool:

I may agree with your statement on Helloween, but Gambling With The Devil is a fucking amazing album.

If I have to be at all arsed with Helloween, it most certainly can't be with their recent records. Keeper of the Seven Keys is where it's at for them, and anything after that pretty much is shite, as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe I'm not being patient enough with them, but after putting out shit like Pink Bubbles Go Ape I really never paid much attention to them.

If you want to post a link go ahead, because I really don't know much of anything after Keeper Pt. II.

Other than a few songs, I haven't been interested in Helloween since the Kiske era until "Gambling With the Devil." I think it's the first time Deris' voice has actually been used properly (a tough task, it's not a great voice).

Speaking of Kiske, I absolutely can't wait for this Kiske/Sommerville project. Sommerville posted an video update from the music-video shoots, and it's just amazing to see Kiske standing in front of a double-bass drum again, even if he's pushing 40 and has lost any of that youthful vivacity and playfulness.

Stinkers:
Heavenly

Heavenly is pretty bad.

Half agree. I thought Dust to Dust was really fucking good, probably in my top 20 power metal albums of all time. Sign of the Winner was pretty fruity but entertaining while Virus and the first album didn't really do anything for me. I thought the fact that they had to put scantily clad lesbians on the cover to sell the last album was probably indicative of the quality of music that was on there so I didn't bother listening to it.

If you want to post a link go ahead, because I really don't know much of anything after Keeper Pt. II.

My thoughts on Helloween's post-KotSK studio albums:

Pink Bubbles: Pretty dull mostly, Someone's Crying and Mankind are decent though.

Chameleon: It's different, it gets a lot of shit, but a few songs on here are ok. I quite like When the Sinner and I Believe. The final ballad, Longing, is absolutely beautiful. Definitely the best song on the album. Windmill, the other ballad, sucks enormous amounts of ass though.

Master of the Rings: Really solid return to form. Only a few dud tracks on this (The Game is On, Secret Alibi). Still We Go and Mr. Ego (supposedly about Michael Kiske?) are really good.

The Time of the Oath: My favorite post KotSK album along with Dark Ride. Every song on here is great, except for the obligatory goofy song, Anything My Mama Don't Like, which while not hideous, is pretty skippable. Before the War and We Burn are two great speedsters.

Better than Raw: Heavier Helloween. Some Great songs on this with no goofy songs which is a plus. Midnight Sun is fucking awesome, the guitar work from about 3:20 to about 5 mins has some of my favorite Helloween soloing.

The Dark Ride: About as dark as Better than Raw is raw. ie somewhat. Another really solid album with the last three songs being the definite highlights for me, especially the title track.

Rabbit...: Ok album, but let down a bit by the plastic overproduction. Some nice speedy songs on here (Hell was made in Heaven, Far Away). Back Against the Wall is one of the heavier songs in their discography, and pretty good too.

KotSK, the Legacy: This would have been really good if they had of scrapped a lot of the more boring hard rockish songs (eg Come Alive, Do You Know What You're Fighting For) and just made it a single album. Still a few good songs though. King For a 1000 Years is a decent attempt at a Halloween or KotSK type epic, but isn't as good as either of those. A few speedy songs (Born on Judgment Day, My Life for One More Day) are also decent. I'm normally not a fan of Helloween's goofier songs, but for some reason I really like Mrs. God. It's pretty much a pop song, but it's so damn fun and catchy that I can't really hate it.

Gambling with the Devil: Really good, fast, slightly Thrashy album which reminds me of Better Than Raw. Can Do It sucks though. Really annoying song. It reminds me of that song in Wayne's World where they're in the factory and the glove goes by on one of the bottles on the conveyor belt. The bonus tracks (Find My Freedom and See the Night) are really good too.

As for the live albums/DVDs, High Live is fantastic, mostly featuring TTotO and MotR material. Really good energy from the band especially Marcus who cracks me up constantly running from one end of the stage to the other every 20 seconds. KotSk world Tour DVD was good too, although I prefer Deris's vocals in High Live. In High Live he just screechily belted it out, whereas the last DVD he sort of sang more properly and didn't quite have the energy or emotion in High Live. He was 10 years older so I guess that's to be expected though.

Sorry about the long-winded post, I didn't expect to crap on so much about it. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on the first two Helloween albums (which are their most popular) they're good but fucking overrated. Iced Earth are seriously mediocre, although the majority of Something Wicked is pretty solid. Blind Guardian are way better than both.

Based on the first two Helloween albums (which are their most popular) they're good but fucking overrated. Iced Earth are seriously mediocre, although the majority of Something Wicked is pretty solid. Blind Guardian are way better than both.

I pretty much agree with this statement. I'll check out those Helloween songs soon.

In my opinion, Helloween's speed metal > Blind Guardian's speed metal. However, the triple Somewhere Far Beyond, Imaginations From The Other Side, and Nightfall In Middle Earth tops anything Helloween's ever done.

I find it hard to compare Helloween with Blind Guardian with Iced Earth (note: I have not listened to their entire discographies through and through with comparison in mind). They all have a time and a place.

I really don't see the appeal of Kamelot sometimes. Very hit or miss IMO. The best song they've released is "Serenade."

I really don't see the appeal of Kamelot sometimes. Very hit or miss IMO. The best song they've released is "Serenade."

Hm. Not sure which releases you've heard, but they have several awesome songs that are as good if not better than "Serenade."

Some of my favorites:

Last edited by a moderator: