Resurrected Power Metal Thread

No. He writes streams of fantasy-sounding phrases.

This is generic fantasy:
Demons of abyss wait for my pride
On wings of glory I'll fly brave and wild
I'll stop your madness, your thirst for blood
To bring them peace where love must reign
(Rhapsody - Warrior of Ice)
Generic, silly, but at least it follows a consistent idea - it's about someone who wants to stop demons.

In the flames of hell we fire at will the fires of doom has come
With the forces of the blackest knights they're staring at the sun
Far across the distant plains of ice we're searching for the sword
When the time has come for battle now we follow with the horde
(Dragonforce - Soldiers of the Wasteland)
This doesn't make sense. It's a series of individual phrases which could make sense but don't relate to each other. There's no way to construct meaning from it. It's really just a word jumble.

(Dragonforce - Soldiers of the Wasteland)
This doesn't make sense. It's a series of individual phrases which could make sense but don't relate to each other. There's no way to construct meaning from it. It's really just a word jumble.

People have trouble understanding two things about this.

1. That what you just said is exactly what (virtually) all DF lyrics are. Utterly meaningless epic word jumble.

2. That that's okay as long as you understand that. I love it for what it is; a pure appeal to generic epicness. And honestly, it's pretty unique in its own sense. Who else writes lyrics with that little overall meaning?

land of the free:

this is a good album. the first song is absolutely amazing, and the next 3 or 4 are great too. but i detect a massive decline in awesomeness after that. its almost like the first song is the apex of the album and then it descends into blah.

edit: of course, i should mention that the title track is awesome as well...

Are people actually discussing Dragonforce? Why the fuck is this happening?

Oh, fuck off, the both of you. You're a good deal less original than they are.

Re: U_C: you're telling me the Kiske/Hansen reunion is not suitably awesome?

Honestly, Land of the Free may be the ONLY album I have where there's not a single song I don't love. SA's "Silence" also comes close.

Last edited by a moderator:
silence destroys land of the free as far as im concerned. it isnt even a contest. im not saying the songs on land...are necessarily bad. they're just not great aside from a few that i mentioned. the song you posted is a good example. the chorus is obviously the selling point of this song, and it can hardly hold a candle to the chorus of, say, weballergy. and even the epic moments of land...can't compare to the sheer brilliance of something like the power of one.

but to each his own, right :)

Honestly, Land of the Free may be the ONLY album I have where there's not a single song I don't love. SA's "Silence" also comes close.

Even Tallulah? I hate that song with a passion. It sounds like a fucking Elton John song, especially the chorus. Sing in Silence is a bit boring too, but not bad. The other ballads are really good though. I especially like the charmingly bizarre lyrics in Last Drop Falls. The first few times I heard it, I spent the whole time going, 'Hahaha, what?' and skipping back to make sure I'd actually heard it correctly.

I was a bit disappointed with Silence at first though, having first heard Wolf and Raven and thinking, 'HOLY CRAP IF THE REST OF SILENCE IS LIKE THIS SONG THEN THIS IS GOING TO BE THE GREATEST ALBUM IN THE HISTORY OF MANKIND!' Then when I listened to the album and realised that no song on it comes close to the intensity of W&R, I was a bit bummed out. It's mostly a very good album though, apart from Tallulah.

EDIT: Now that I think about it that same thing pretty much happened to a lesser extent with Flag in the Ground and Days of Grays. History repeats itself it seems. :)

Wow. I actually didn't realise the lyrics were that bad. I actually thought that maybe you'd just copied and pasted some mistranslated lyrics from the net somewhere, then after digging up Sonic Firestorm out from a box of CD's in my wardrobe and reading the lyrics... They're even worse than your post... They actually misspell 'horde' as 'hord', and 'debauchery' as 'debautury'. :lol: and :erk:

I really liked Sonic Firestorm back in the day though, and still don't mind it. I remember thinking if only they could write some decent lyrics, tone down on the keyboards a bit and put a few more memorable riffs in under all the soloing, then the next album would be an absolute killer. None of that really happened though, but IR and UB were still fairly enjoyable.

I've never seen a lyricist that can quite ruin a whole song with a single lyric the way Sam Totman can though. 'Feel me, the touch we all need,' and 'Starchaser!' being the two most obvious clunkers that come to mind.

One of the awesome things about Dragonforce is that their choruses all kind of use the same couple chords, so while they're individually pretty catchy, they also blend together...back when I listened to them a lot I'd frequently get a sort of meta-chorus stuck in my head that when from one song to the next.

Even Tallulah? I hate that song with a passion. It sounds like a fucking Elton John song, especially the chorus. Sing in Silence is a bit boring too, but not bad. The other ballads are really good though. I especially like the charmingly bizarre lyrics in Last Drop Falls. The first few times I heard it, I spent the whole time going, 'Hahaha, what?' and skipping back to make sure I'd actually heard it correctly.

The hell is wrong with Elton? Elton's awesome. Tallulah is my favorite Sonata ballad (Letter to Dana probably comes second, and Shy third). Explaining why would be tough, though. But Sonata hasn't written a decent ballad on their last two albums (nothing since Shamandalie).

And yeah, LDF, heh. Without underwear.

Agree with you about FitG and Days of Grays, though. Ugh, it's even less palatable than Unia for me. From the fifth track on the album becomes completely and utterly forgettable. No memorable licks, no memorable choruses, no memorable lyrics, just a bland proggy mess of sloth and baritone. Unia's half-decent songs were more scattered across the album, at least.

1217695365_secret-sphere.jpg

This may be one of the gayest album covers ever but this album certifiably fucking rules.

Metal Archives lists their lyrical content as: Fantasy, Reality :lol:

At any rate, the stuff I'm hearing on youtube is pretty good. The song "From a Dream to a Nightmare" has an awesome chorus.