Resurrected Power Metal Thread

True - its a bit weird though. I don't think Falconer had the talent or creativity to pull of a concept album. I do like the medieval feel though... Matthias is the only Falconer singer though :kickass:

Im really a big power metal fan, and love discovering new, awesome bands amongst the mire of bullshit (most of limb records!). some bands I have really been getting into recently are:

• Later period TAD MOROSE
  • Bloodbound
  • Manticora

Sceptrecover.jpg

This album isn't bad with the other singer.

I actually enjoy several songs on the album, particularly "Under the Sword," "Pledge For Freedom," and "Hear Me Pray." I think the reason it's so much better than Grime Vs. Grandeur is because Mathias still had a hand in the songwriting.

Later period TAD MOROSE

Yes! Matters of the Dark is such an awesome album and even though I keep trumpeting this glaringly obvious fact it's like no one around here has ever heard of it. Modus Vivendi is some high grade stuff as well. Their earlier stuff is decent but very different; Urban breed was definitely an important part of their sound.

I like that Falconer - Sceptre Of Deception a lot, has a nice flow to it and good song writing. Pretty mellow album to listen to.

Never listened to any of their others though, need to get on it.

nice man! Bloodbound has a Jag Panzer/Nocturnal Rites feel to it. not bad.

I know exactly what you mean man: still REALLY melodic and helloween-y occasionally, but with a rougher, heavier edge as well? and JAG PANZER! what a band: their albums are all just supremely enjoyable arent they - Fourth Judgement's melodic heavy metal, Thane to the throne's epic melodic metal, mechanised warfares out and out power metal - theyre like judas priest in my opinion, in the sense that they always evolve with each album but keep the sound that theyre known and loved for - deffo one of the best PM bands out there I think.

Nocturnal Rites - very underated band In my opinion. Their fist three albums I love, especially talisman, but every album since afterlife has just been awesome: perfect melodic power metal, especially on new world messiah, Grand illusion and afterlife. Personally thought 8th sin was way to bland though. Didnt mind it was so commercial, just that the songs were, quite frankly, as interesting as a Bullet For My Valentine Ballad.

Yes! Matters of the Dark is such an awesome album and even though I keep trumpeting this glaringly obvious fact it's like no one around here has ever heard of it. Modus Vivendi is some high grade stuff as well. Their earlier stuff is decent but very different; Urban breed was definitely an important part of their sound.

Not actually heard Matters yet. Modus is just a bloody beautiful PM album: heavy as hell, huge crunching sound and the most epic, perfect vocals you could ask from that kind of band: Urban Breed is a legend - so glad the dude is with Pyramaze now!

Just listened to an album called Radical Peace by Mob Rules and holy crap is it awesome! I didnt think the band could get much better after Gods.. and Ethnolution A.D. but the band seriously just did it. Heavier than their other stuff, but still unmistakably Mob Frackin Rules.

I like that Falconer - Sceptre Of Deception a lot, has a nice flow to it and good song writing. Pretty mellow album to listen to.

Never listened to any of their others though, need to get on it.

Every album with Blad on lead vocals is a masterpiece.

Just picked up a copy of Gamma Ray's No World Order. Its pretty good IMO. Ive heard Gamma Ray be mentioned alot but this is the first time Ive heard them. Any of their other albums worth picking up?

Insanity and Genius is my favorite Gamma Ray album, most people don't seem to rate it that highly though. Power Plant and Somewhere Out in Space are also pretty good. Land of the Free seems to a lot of people's favorite, I never really got into it for some reason.

Also, I was looking forward to hearing one of my favorite songs from when I was a kid, covered by Blind Guardian:

...What a shithouse cover. Hopefully the new album isn't this bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy shit, has anyone heard the new Axel Rudi Pell album, The Crest? This is awesome power/heavy metal for sure. The vocals are incredibly fitting and the melodies both sung and played are awesome. The songs range from up and mid tempo to the occasional ballad. This is my first exposure to the band and I am very pleased. While nothing ground breaking, it should please power metal fans old and new.

Last edited by a moderator: