Resurrected Power Metal Thread

Power metal is honestly the one genre of metal I have yet to really get into. I mean I like the root bands of it like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, and the American variety bands like Manilla Road or Jag Panzer, but they're arguably just regular "traditional heavy metal" and not power metal in the European, or stereotypical sense.

I still wanna get into the whole dragons and kings super cheesy power metal scene. Suggestions to start?

I still wanna get into the whole dragons and kings super cheesy power metal scene. Suggestions to start?

Fairyland, Blind Guardian, Rhapsody Of Fire, Freedom Call, Elvenking, Gamma Ray, early Nightwish, early Dragonforce, Epica, the most recent Therion album "Gothic Kabbalah", early Dream Evil, Power Quest, Bride Adorned, Sonata Arctica, early Kamelot, Secret Sphere etc. That should be a pretty good start. (I know some of those bands wouldn't theoretically be labelled as "power metal" but I think they're close enough to symphonic power metal to be included here).

While we're at it, this song is really kicking my ass so badly right now, everything symphonic power metal should be, what do you guys think:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aItNg5SDX9Q&feature=related[/ame]

Power metal is honestly the one genre of metal I have yet to really get into. I mean I like the root bands of it like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden, and the American variety bands like Manilla Road or Jag Panzer, but they're arguably just regular "traditional heavy metal" and not power metal in the European, or stereotypical sense.

Tad Morose - Matters Of The Dark
Hammerfall - Crimson Thunder, Glory to the Brave
Human Fortress - Lord of Earth And Heaven's Heir, Defenders Of The Crown
Avantasia - The Metal Opera pt. 1
Blind Guardian - Nightfall In Middle Earth
Dragonforce - Valley Of The Damned
Rhapsody - Symphony Of Enchanted Lands
Luca Turilli - Prophet Of The Last Eclipse
Sinergy - Suicide By My Side

Omen - Battle Cry

That's tough. There's lots of good stuff, but lots of horrible shit too. I'll post a few good power metal bands that I like:

Kamelot (cheesy, literature-influenced symphonic power):

Kiuas (aggressive, epic power metal):

Fairyland (super cheesy but awesome symphonic power, totally fantasy-influenced):

Human Fortress (history/fantasy-influenced power/folk metal):

Blind Guardian (really epic, fantasy/Tolkien/literature-influenced power metal):

That's all I'll leave you with for now. There's just so much stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:

I don't like a lot of Euro stuff, but check out early Helloween and Blind Guardian.

Hammerfall - Crimson Thunder, Glory to the Brave

i should really check out Hammerfall's first two, as ive heard they are a good example of cheesy power euro metal

that being said, i couldnt stand rhapsody. but Fairyland is awesome. Falconer's first two were just OK. nothing truly special

I'm not a huge Hammerfall fan but they do definitely have a good song here and there. I think these songs are great:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59oKpxCNiRM&feature=related[/ame]

Threshold is by far their worst album.

For what Hammerfall are all about:

I like Fairyland. A lot.

New BG is great, especially Wheel of Time

Im pretty stoked on it too. I personally like Sacred Worlds and Control The Divine.

They are coming here in Decemeber, already bought my ticket. That shit will be insanely epic. Anyone had the privilage of seeeing BG live before?

Can't wait for BG. It's expensive, but my drummer knows the bouncer so it should actually be free. :kickass: I need to get some of their newer stuff. And older stuff. I basically just need more Blind Guardian in my life.