Return of black metal screams in Opeth

Caelum Adustum said:
I hardly think Darkthrone and Emperor sound alike.

And I really doubt Opeth will play primitive black metal, but you never know I guess.

i wasnt saying emperor and darkthrone sound alike...i was simply giving examples of 2nd wave black metal versus 1st wave.

Wouldnt hurt to have a bit of variation in his growls... though I dont quite see Mike doing screams, but some higher pitched growls like in the early albums, mixed in with his more recent gutteral growls could give a good effect.

Opeth should do some King Diamond stuff.

GRANDMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!! WELCOME HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMEEEEE!!!!!

HAHA!! Mike should've thrown in some of those on Damnation.

I think there already are some bass-mid-treble variations in Mike's growls, f ex: sometimes he accentuates a word or syllable in a phrase by pitching it a little higher.

like "your face was like a photograph, painted WHITE" sort of thing?
+1

like "your face was like a photograph, painted WHITE" sort of thing?
+1

Yup, exactly. A few examples from Ghost Reveries:

Ghost of Perdition
2nd verse: Holding her DOWN
approx. 6:40: A saint's premonition's unCLEAR
Keeper of HOLY WHORES

The Baying of the Hounds
I hear the baying of the HOUNDS (well, semi-)
2nd verse: His eyes spew forth a darkness that CUT through and paralyze (great example, with one very short pitch shift Mike makes the whole sentence sharper and gives it a nice composition/structure, as he accentuates the also-in-it's-own-meaning sharp verb :rolleyes: which also is a significant word in the sentence, being situated at approximately the golden ratio/cut. I know I'm over-analyzing but hey, that's my handicap :p)
His MOUTH is a vortex
Reached OUT in false dismay (another great example)

Etc etc etc...there are lots of those higher-pitched screams in there, there's just so many things going on that maybe one doesn't think about it as much.