Return of black metal screams in Opeth

How many times has Mikael stated in the dvds and interviews, Opeth has and always will be a DEATH metal band. Just because the first two albums don't have such a deep growl has MAYH and after, it shouldn't be compared to black metal. I have never seen Opeth wearing black makeup in leather clad armor screaming about satan raping your mother. Black metal sucks ass, keep it away from Opeth! Also, don't flame me because I know Mikael said Ghost Reveries was bordering on black metal, but that was only on the lyrical side having to do with satan/occult themes. The music was all death metal.

I have never seen Opeth wearing black makeup in leather clad armor screaming about satan raping your mother. Black metal sucks ass, keep it away from Opeth!
Not all black metal is like that. In fact their is a huge sub-genre of black metal called, "Folk Black Metal," that doesn't talk about any of that. The generalization that black metal is always about satan is stupid because that is like saying death metal is always about death. See where I am coming from?

Not all black metal is like that. In fact their is a huge sub-genre of black metal called, "Folk Black Metal," that doesn't talk about any of that. The generalization that black metal is always about satan is stupid because that is like saying death metal is always about death. See where I am comign from?

Fucking Agalloch(!)

Not all black metal is like that. In fact their is a huge sub-genre of black metal called, "Folk Black Metal," that doesn't talk about any of that. The generalization that black metal is always about satan is stupid because that is like saying death metal is always about death. See where I am coming from?

Ok. I was being a bit generic there but I'm so sick of people in this forum talking about black metal and Opeth. It needs to be stopped. Mikael has the fucking most awesome deep death growl out there, and I think it should people should stop comparing and wishing for Opeth to do black metal screams/music. Everytime I come around I see a new person posting about black metal and Opeth and I can't stand it! Bah, shit...well anyways... I agree with you though man, I really like Falkenbach which is considered Black Folk metal. As far as Agalloch, I really like them too...but I don't see black metal there, I think they made their own 'grey metal' subgenre. All things said, I just don't see how people can compare Opeth to black metal other than their first 2 albums because they weren't as growley...but even then it was still death metal.

Ok. I was being a bit generic there but I'm so sick of people in this forum talking about black metal and Opeth. It needs to be stopped. Mikael has the fucking most awesome deep death growl out there, and I think it should people should stop comparing and wishing for Opeth to do black metal screams/music. Everytime I come around I see a new person posting about black metal and Opeth and I can't stand it! Bah, shit...well anyways... I agree with you though man, I really like Falkenbach which is considered Black Folk metal. As far as Agalloch, I really like them too...but I don't see black metal there, I think they made their own 'grey metal' subgenre. All things said, I just don't see how people can compare Opeth to black metal other than their first 2 albums because they weren't as growley...but even then it was still death metal.

I agree..in the first two discs there is just a more "acid" growl..

I can see how in Orchid and Morningrise Mikael had a slight pinch of Black Metal in his vocals, but barely. It's definitely no Immortal...

You mean the vocals that sound like Popeye right after downing a few cans of his favorite steroid enhanced vegtable? Immortal's vocals always remind me of the good old days watching Saturday morning cartoons and the public service announcement Popeye provided to all the kids wathing each week. If you eat healthy youll sound like youve been smoking for a couple life times and your forearms will grow to be twice as big as your biceps. Now that's incentive for kids to listen to thier parents and shove some greens down thier throats. Kind of ironic that Immortal's vocalist would be doing an impression of Popeye while singing about killing off enemies and ruling as tyrant over all thier frozen nations. I always knew that Popeye was trouble, lol.