Review the last movie you saw thread

I watched "La jetee" last night. I posted it in the YouTube thread. It's amazing.

Yeah, I watched that a few months back. Pretty damn good. Now that I think about it I can't remember if I actually finished watching it. Hmm.

Yesterday I watched the Dragonlance movie. Straight to DVD. I read these books when I was a kid and loved them, but I had heard bad things about the movie so I watched it kind of reluctantly.

The animation is poor - it looks like 80s animation with CGI thrown in - but... well, I enjoyed it. It was a mistake squeezing in the whole first book into 90 minutes as the whole thing was very rushed, and I don't like how they just threw in things which you don't find out in the books until the third one, but there you go. Maybe one day someone will make a decent live action film, but I doubt it.

Kiefer Sutherland does Raistlin's voice and he's awesome.

Ok the last movie I watched:

Black Shampoo (1975)
Hilarious '70s Blaxploitation movie about a hairdresser with a vengeance!!!!
Mr Jonathan is the most sought-after hairdresser on the Sunset Strip, not only for his hair-dressing skills but for his reputation as a love machine with the ladies! (Great lines: "If Mr Jonathan won't do me, nobody will!", "He just doesn't have the equipment that Mr Jonathan does!", "Wow, you really are bigger & better!" Haha). But when his new receptionist's gangster ex-boss trashes his salon, kidnaps her back and attacks the 2 gay hairdressers that work at the salon with him, Mr Jonathan is out for revenge!!!

Pretty low budget, not as well made obviously as the more well known blaxploitation movies, but definitely one of the most entertaining! The premise alone - a vengeful hairdresser - is great, let alone being packed with hilarious lines, chock full of sleaze (in one scene he makes a house call to a client - shows up with a hair dryer in his hand HAHA - whose teenage daughters both get their kit off and tell him "We've shared a man before" and start pleasuring him, until their mum comes out and catches them and decides the best way to punish them is make them watch her shag him!), and the ending is quite violent too including a chainsaw and a pool-cue impaling.

All in all, pretty entertaining 70s fun :D

blackshampoo.jpg

Yesterday I watched the Dragonlance movie. Straight to DVD. I read these books when I was a kid and loved them, but I had heard bad things about the movie so I watched it kind of reluctantly.

The animation is poor - it looks like 80s animation with CGI thrown in - but... well, I enjoyed it. It was a mistake squeezing in the whole first book into 90 minutes as the whole thing was very rushed, and I don't like how they just threw in things which you don't find out in the books until the third one, but there you go. Maybe one day someone will make a decent live action film, but I doubt it.

Kiefer Sutherland does Raistlin's voice and he's awesome.

*sigh* I was sort of expecting this kind of review. Still keen to see it, though.

Watched Star Trek @ imax on Thursday. Thought the "reboot" of the series was excellent. The new cast are very good, and although JJ Abrams has some stigma's attached to him I thought he did a very good job.

What's it like watching a film like that at Imax? I watched an underwater film there yesterday and it was an excellent experience.

What's it like watching a film like that at Imax? I watched an underwater film there yesterday and it was an excellent experience.

It's a mixed bag.

On one hand its pretty awe-inspiring to start with, and there are definitely moments where being surrounded by a screen is far superior to a normal cinema.

On the other hand there are moments when it becomes difficult to track all the action on the screen. You either get dizzy or a really sore neck!

Sounds like being caught in a mosh!

Hmmmm I might just have to give a full-length film a crack there. I meant to do so with Beowulf, but never got around to it. A Night at the Museum II is coming out there, so maybe that can be the one.

Here's the Dragonlance trailer, Timmy.

I really want to watch this again but I deleted it after watching it. Hmm, might have to find a copy really really cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aw Timmy. If you ignore the poor animation and the fact that they cut so much out of the movie, it's still kind of good. Oh, and if you ignore the scene of Laurana and Elistan making out at Goldmoon and Riverwind's wedding at the end.

Has anyone here seen Repo: The genetic opera?

It should be available locally soon. Its delivers the blood and guts that Sweeny Todd failed to bring to the party. I really enjoyed both movies but they don't really compare at all, besides both being musicals about death. Repo began as a small play performed at nightclubs and built up to full stage act to big screen movie.

Anthony Head of (Buffy/Little Britain fame) really makes it an enjoyable experience. There is a strong Rocky Horror vibe, the producers specifically wanted to make this the Rocky Horror of 2000. Paris Hilton is virtually unrecognisable and Skinny Puppy fans will find Nivek Ogre on board.