Satanism and Metal

Yeah, it's a dumb stereotype, just like some people think death metal is all about killing people and mutilating their corpses. Of course there are some satanic metal bands, and lots of metal bands that are athiest or anti-religious and express it in their music.

I think the reason why the book was called Running with the Devil is because it was one of the more popular Van Halen songs, and as we know. Van Halen were one of the innovators of metal.

Either way, I do think the satanic imagery and stereotypes are fucked up. Metal is music, and music is what it is. Music. Unfortunately, a joke that was started by legendary metal band Black Sabbath turned the world onto metal. Just because Tony Iommi thought up of the heaviest riffs and made use of the tritone or flattened fifth. (Which in case you didn't know was banned in Church music because of it's sinister sound), we are categorised into a bunch of satanic freaks who go against every word of god.

But I also think it's sad that alot of bands do sing about being satanic and worshipping Satan as well. So I guess it doesn't really help.

With Reference to the Thread , Yes !!! even i do feel that Satanism is associated a lot with Metal whereas only few types of Metal have Satanic Lyrics (Black/Death), There are lot of Songs which are written about normal emotions like Anger, Hatred, Depression etc.... For example lets take the song 'Hallowed Be Thy Name' by Iron Maiden, it depicts the thoughts goin thro the mind of a convict about to be Hanged. Its so fascinatingly simple yet subtle the way the Song depicts the emotion. I think its too lame to associate all types of Metal to Satanism.

Coming to the argument about Religion, God and Shit, I think the concept of God itself is overrated, Religion- its good to some extent since it brings unity and stuff, but as already posted by someone even i feel No Religion is as Peaceful as Buddhism, Lot of Religion talk of non violence , Peace and shit but What do they do ???, They end up doing Holy Wars !!! ( Reminds me of the awesome song by Megadeth :headbang: ). As somebody mentioned i too believe in Bertrand Russel's opinions !!! With Knowledge, Courage and Kindness Any thing can be achieved, No need for any concept of God or Religion. IMO Religion is promoting more violence than doin otherwise.

Atleast in my so called Religion (Supposed to be Hindu) Sex is considered Sacred :D (Kamasutra written by Vatsyana). but still in my country Sex is a Taboo amongst People, Most ironic thing is we are the Second most populated country LOL :loco: . The only reason i personally like satanic lyrics coz i hate the concept of God and Religion and these songs are good to annoy religious dumb fucks :p . i love this line in one of the Enigma's Songs
If you believe in God its because of the Devil :worship: , So if god really does exist , I will take the side of Satan (who atleast fulfills our Temptations)
its time for Satan to take over !!! :headbang: :hotjump:

With Reference to the Thread , Yes !!! even i do feel that Satanism is associated a lot with Metal whereas only few types of Metal have Satanic Lyrics (Black/Death), There are lot of Songs which are written about normal emotions like Anger, Hatred, Depression etc.... For example lets take the song 'Hallowed Be Thy Name' by Iron Maiden, it depicts the thoughts goin thro the mind of a convict about to be Hanged. Its so fascinatingly simple yet subtle the way the Song depicts the emotion. I think its too lame to associate all types of Metal to Satanism.
Just because a song uses Satan as imagery does not mean that it doesn't express emotion.

clangorous said:
Coming to the argument about Religion, God and Shit, I think the concept of God itself is overrated, Religion- its good to some extent since it brings unity and stuff, but as already posted by someone even i feel No Religion is as Peaceful as Buddhism, Lot of Religion talk of non violence , Peace and shit but What do they do ???, They end up doing Holy Wars !!!
clangorous, I am not going to tell you to 'fuck off' simply because you misinterpreted the whole concept of Religion. I just want you to know that there's no bad blood there, but I need to tell you some stuff first, because your understanding and your take on religion has no intelligent thought to it at all.

Granted, yes, religion is open to interpretation as there is no solid evidence of religious FACT. HOWEVER, your understanding of God is not right. You see religion and God at face value, you seem to take everything as it is fed to you without actually looking behind it at the true meaning. the priests and the child molesting deals. The priests and what they stand for are definitely the epitome of religion, yet their actions don't always prove that true. their actions, however, cannot be held against their religion. Their actions are human, not divine. Humans hold within them the capacity for good and evil and not EVERY LITTLE THING THEY DO HAS to be strictly GOOD and it will most likely NOT be, as we can erre. That's what the concept of forgiveness is for.

A note on the holy way line, don't EVER try to pull that shit on a Christian offline, because it has no validity to it whatsoever. Future generations cannot be blamed for past generations' problems and mistakes, so don't throw that label on every Christian, as you will find 90% of them agree that what the church did then was very wrong. They acted out of haste rather than out of right thinking.

As somebody mentioned i too believe in Bertrand Russel's opinions !!! With Knowledge, Courage and Kindness Any thing can be achieved, No need for any concept of God or Religion. IMO Religion is promoting more violence than doin otherwise.
On what grounds are you saying this? There are many different images of what religion is, as is there many different divisions under the title 'Religion', but violence is not one of them. some people manipulate the ideas and thoughts and practices behind religion to get people to believe that violence in the name of God is the way. I will never understand this, though I do know it is a conscious human decision to act that way and not a flaw of the religious system. And there IS a need for a concept of God, or a higher being/power. There had to have been. You can't tell me you actually believe existence was created from some cosmic accident can you? What do you attribute the accident to then?

Here is the arguments for the existence of God. These were made by Tomas Aquinas and to this day, have not been defeated and cannot be proven wrong:

1. Motion cannot start itself, but must be started by something already in motion. An infinite chain of movers is impossible, for then there would be no first mover and therefore no motion at all. The chain MUST have a beginning. The unmoved mover is the one whom we call God.

2. Certain events are caused by other events, which are themselves caused by prior events, and so on. As above the causal chain cannot be infinite. The uncaused first cause is the one whom we call God.

3. Certain things are temporary, their existence unoriginal. Their existence is possible rather than necessary. The chain of unoriginal existence cannot be infinite but must find its source in a self-existent necessary being. This self-existent necessary being is the one whom we call God.

4. We judge certain things to have a lesser degree of perfection than others. Relative assessments require an absolute standard of perfection. This absolute standard, God, must exist.

5. Inanimate things function together to accomplish an ordered purpose. This cannot occur by chance but requires an intelligent designer. The designer is the one whom we call God.

As I said, to this day these 5 arguments have not been disputed, cannot be proven wrong, and has been contemplated by men of great knowledge who still cannot deny it. Tomas Aquinas used Aristotlean and Platonic knowledge as the philosophical basis of his arguments. Of course YOU can choose not to believe anything I'm saying or the words I'm quoting because that's the beauty of being human. you have CHOICE, as He designed us to have. but as they say, ignorance is bliss, so go ahead and enjoy your momentary bliss and live how you want. Just forget everything I ever said and block it out of your mind. I'm guessing that's what most of you will do anyway in response to this, which is why I decided to stop replying to the thread in the first place. I've already said before that I can't explain anything to you and try to give at least some tiny understanding of Christianity if you don't have an open ear to receive it.

Atleast in my so called Religion (Supposed to be Hindu) Sex is considered Sacred :D (Kamasutra written by Vatsyana). but still in my country Sex is a Taboo amongst People, Most ironic thing is we are the Second most populated country LOL :loco: . The only reason i personally like satanic lyrics coz i hate the concept of God and Religion and these songs are good to annoy religious dumb fucks :p . i love this line in one of the Enigma's Songs
If you believe in God its because of the Devil :worship: , So if god really does exist , I will take the side of Satan (who atleast fulfills our Temptations)
its time for Satan to take over !!! :headbang: :hotjump:
these are by far your stupidest statements. the 'temptations' are worthless and are only meant for temporary false happiness. What will you do when your life is over? where will you go and what happened to all your earthly pleasures? could it be that they are only... temporary? only existing on the human plane? these earthly desires and pleasures are worthless and pointless and created by HUMANS who have the ability to erre, and obviously have done so at some point in history. you need to start looking indepth to what you are being spoonfed like a baby from these bands and from whoever's telling you all this bullshit.

well, I've tried to give you insight... take it or leave it. you can diss/bash me however you see fit, as I know a good 95% of you are highly opinionated.

I'm one of those people who sees all the evidence that God "doesn't exist," but I see it as mankind being the silly tennager that thinks they know everything, when in reality this is not the case.

People need to understand that there are things not meant to be understood, places left to be unreached, and things done that happened for a reason. It may be true that people invented God, but it could also be true that God created people. Maybe life itself wasn't just an accident of circumstance.

It might be considered primitive to believe in a God, but I find it so logical...and it can't be proven or disproven. So I stick with it. I believe in the stupidity of man and the wisdom of God. I cannot dissolve my faith because I believe I'm smart enough to. People need to understand that something as glorious as life itself cannot be comprehended by people. There has to be something maintaining the precarious balance...

That's just my opinion, but it's frustrating when I compare it to the hordes that see the "falseness" of God as a fact.

thanks, anonymous, I thought I was the only one on all of UM defending my kind haha. you basically summed up what I said with exception to a few things, which is good because as much as I want them to read it, 3/4 people that look at this page will skip right the hell over my bigass reply because "it's too long!"

Interesting, I myself am supposed to be muslim but I don't really believe in organized religion. I don't know about God, we don't know how he created us and we don't know how IT was created. SOme mysteries are better left unsolved.

I do live by my own philosophies which are a combination from a few philosophers.

NocturnalSun said:
clangorous, I am not going to tell you to 'fuck off' simply because you misinterpreted the whole concept of Religion. I just want you to know that there's no bad blood there, but I need to tell you some stuff first, because your understanding and your take on religion has no intelligent thought to it at all.

Dude My Religion (thats Hinduism) is one of the oldest, predates most of the Religion ( be it Christianity ,Islam, Buddhism), I was a theist before,i used to believe in all the things u have spoken about so far and i know that concept of God and Religion are two different things. But u know that no two Reigion agree that there is something other than their so called God. That leads to lot of Communal Hatred...., I was just trying to Generalise about the worldly concept of the so called Religion. People of a particular religion try to convert others to their Religion so that they can dominate the world, and its a known
fact about Christianity and Islam. Mind you only few Religions like Hinduism and Buddhism do not force people from other sects to convert.

NocturnalSun said:
thanks, anonymous, I thought I was the only one on all of UM defending my kind haha. you basically summed up what I said with exception to a few things, which is good because as much as I want them to read it, 3/4 people that look at this page will skip right the hell over my bigass reply because "it's too long!"

Don't include me in that list of 3/4, I am going thro everybody's opinion, I appreciate the way u are trying to defend.... Reminds me of one of my friend whom i used to argue about the same subject....,

NocturnalSun said:
A note on the holy way line, don't EVER try to pull that shit on a Christian offline, because it has no validity to it whatsoever. Future generations cannot be blamed for past generations' problems and mistakes, so don't throw that label on every Christian, as you will find 90% of them agree that what the church did then was very wrong. They acted out of haste rather than out of right thinking.

Dude you totally got me Wrong here , I never mentioned Holy Wars only with
Christianity, I was generalising it to all Religions including mine !!!, I think u have gone thro the Lyrics of Megadeth's Holy Wars. it doen't reflect only to a particular Religion , For ur reference lemme paste the Lyrics .

Holy Wars...The Punishment Due

Brother will kill brother
Spilling blood across the land
Killing for religion
Something I don't understand

Fools like me, who cross the sea
And come to foreign lands
Ask the sheep, for their beliefs
Do you kill on God's command?

A country that's divided
Surely will not stand
My past erased, no more disgrace
No foolish naive stand

The end is near, it's crystal clear
Part of the master plan
Don't look now to Israel
It might be in your homelands

Holy wars

Upon my podium, as the
Know it all scholar
Down in my seat of judgement
Gavel's bang, uphold the law
Up on my soapbox, a leader
Out to change the world
Down in my pulpit as the holier
Than-thou-could-be-messenger of God

Wage the war on organized crime
Sneak attacks, repel down the rocks
Behind the lines
Some people risk to employ me
Some people live to destroy me
Either way they die.

They killed my wife, and my baby
With hopes to enslave me
First mistake...last mistake!
Paid by the alliance, to slay all the giants
Next mistake...no more mistakes!

Fill the cracks in, with judicial granite
Because I don't say it, don't mean I ain't
Thinkin'it
Next thing you know, they'll take my thoughts away
I know what I said, now I must scream of the overdose
And the lack of mercy killings.

I guess u are taking things too personally dude, I am ridiculing all Religion including mine !!!

Through life i have watched so many wars and deaths due to religion that i decided i want no part in at all.I intend to live my life to the full and just see what happens afterwards.But to get a little back on topic,it is a bit crap that metal is pigeonholed with the satan thang,there is nothing more annoying when people ask what kind of you music you play,you say metal,they "oh,all that satanist shit".That licks my balls.