Seattle Show

Lillitu

My give-a-damn is busted
Dec 28, 2001
Emerald City
Visit site
I suck at reviews so here is the bare bones of last night:

For once, the sound in the Showbox was crystal clear. It was a little too soft for Hypocrisy but they slowly ramped it up over time until I started feeling it in my eardrums. Hypocrisy and Children of Bodom played short, tight sets. I like both bands, sue me. (oh yeah, Alexi Laiho is really a short fucker. heh)

Nevermore was up next and they were tight. Warrel didn't seem to be having and voice problems at all. He did fuck up the lyrics to Engines of Hate at the beginning but he apologized and went on with the song.:D They were in fine form and there was some kidding about the difference between the vodka water bottes and the regular water bottles. There was a fence between the stage and the crowd and the security guys were complete nazi's and would not let anyone up on stage. Warrel tried to drag some people across, but got nowhere with that. (I think he fucked with one of the security guys because of that but I couldn't see to well.) When they ended their set, they invited everyone to Goofy's after the show for drinks. Setlist:

Narcosynthesis
7 tongues
Never Purify
River Dragon
Sounds of Silence
I Voyager
Engines of Hate
Enemies of Reality

Way too short of a set, but it was an all ages show and they had to end at midnight. After the set, Warrel and Jim came out to the adult drinking section to chat. Dave Budbill was there, so that's probably a big reason why. Warrell did tell a bunch of people that they were going to go to Goofy's and bring the bands with them, but I didn't go. (I went to a different bar in the area and actually saw 1/2 of Hypocrisy, CoB and 2 members of Dimmu there, so not sure if Goofy's happened.)

The Dimmu set was great as well, although shagrath was were not wearing spikey corset thing that looks like a steering wheel. I feel gyped! Oh, and I officially have to apologize to Seattle fans. I saw at least 5 people with painted faces.

I hung out at the buses for a little while and chatted with all of the band except for Jeff and Steve. I never saw them. I did get to go on the bus for a little bit and man, is it swank. They've got the pimpingest bus I've ever seen: christmas lights, shiney streamers and a mirror on the ceiling. Sorry no pix folks, I didn't bring my camera. All in all, it was a kickass night of metal.

NapalmForLunch said:
Weird... He had a broken arm last time they played the show box and he pulled a lot of people on stage.

yeah, I know, but there wasn't a barrier with a big 6ft gap between him and the crowd and big security guards actively pulling people out of his hands. There wasn't any way for people to be rolled over the barrier w/o running into those security guards.

Maharet said:
No pics? what?! oh well, sounds cool! i hope someone does post pics of that show!
The Showbox are complete nazi's on the camera thing. I've had my camera confiscated from there before. It's a crappy 2.0 mp digital. What possible threat could it be? I saw maybe 2 people with camera's there. So they must have been checking people as they went in. There was an official guy there shooting for some zine or other. If I find that site, I'll point you to it.

Lillitu said:
yeah, I know, but there wasn't a barrier with a big 6ft gap between him and the crowd and big security guards actively pulling people out of his hands. There wasn't any way for people to be rolled over the barrier w/o running into those security guards.
There was a barrier. The guards were nazi's but he was able to fight through them. The barrier was only about 4 feet back though. They might have moved it back since there was a lot of stage diving at the one before.

Lillitu said:
The Showbox are complete nazi's on the camera thing. I've had my camera confiscated from there before. It's a crappy 2.0 mp digital. What possible threat could it be? I saw maybe 2 people with camera's there. So they must have been checking people as they went in. There was an official guy there shooting for some zine or other. If I find that site, I'll point you to it.
Wha...? Showbox don't even check bags.

At the Type O/Nevermore show I had a bag packed with shit and walked right by. Roseland are real nazi's. Metal detectors and pat downs. The security guards wont pick anything up off the floor for you. They will dive into the crowd violently to get cameras.

Lillitu said:

One was probably www.gravemusic.com

The other one may have been a guy I know, he's Plague Witch @UM. He said that he'd try and get a photo pass along with all this other shit he was trying to do that night. I'll have to ask him if he did take pics. If not, sooner or later Mortado or Dead_Fetus will show up, hopefully with something to share.

To get a photo pass in this area is damn near impossible anyway, let alone them taking your camera. It's NOT worth the hassle of even trying anymore, for either reason.

Well, one of the guys is no relation to Grave Music site. Turns out he's a friend of a friend of mine. If stuff shows up on his site, I'll point you there. I checked out the Grave site, they didn't have an 'upcoming events' for this show so they might not have been there.

Thanks Hemi. I was beginning to think I was the only one persecuted by the Showbox.

The guy that runs gravemusic.com is a friend of mine and he was not at the show last night. So gravemusic won't have pictures from this show.

I had my camera on me the whole show last night, but I never tried to use it (I hate getting close to the stage with all the stinkiy sweaty metalheads).

I was never searched or patted down, but I know everyone that works at the Showbox and I always show up hours before the shows start.

Anyways, I was told by the Nevermore guys (I originally asked them if they could hook me up with a photopass) that Dimmu Borgir has a strict no camera policy. I've been to many a show at The Showbox where everyone had cameras and were actively using them. I Just think this show was an exception.

My .02 cents :)

At the show in SF, I was told that if I took pictures after the first four songs of Dimmu, they would take my camera....so I guess they don't dig the pics.

I was at the show in Seattle as well, I remember Warrel getting the crowd surfing going later on in the set, and telling the crowd to make the security guards work for their money, lol. I was pissed that Hypocrisy and COB played such short sets. I haven't listened to Nevermore that much, so it was cool to hear them live and then go and check out their material afterwards. I think I've played Narcosynthesis like 100 times, lol. I was glad that the guitar solos came through so well, when I saw Priest at the Roseland the solos sort of faded in and out at times. Hypocrisy's sound was a little too cluttered, and I think it would have been hard to pick out everything if you were unfamiliar with the band. I was hoping that hell would freeze over and they would play Carved up, but no such luck. They didn't even play a single track off of Final Chapter, and played one of the worst tracks off of Catch 22 "Destroyed". :yell:

Overall it was a pretty kick ass show, and I met this trucker and his girlfriend and we hung out at the Green Room before the show, and at the bar during the show.

On a side note, Nick Barker is an absolutely insane drummer to watch live.