sh!t non-metalheads say

thrasher98

Jack Lindberg
Jun 29, 2013
battle ground, wa
what things that non-metalheads say about you or your music really make you mad? my top two are probably when they refer to metal as "screamo" or when they equate me with goths or emos.

jack

I have heard a couple things like its such angry music, I can't handle that screaming shit or I don't like that satanic music. It's just that they aren't willing to try and appreciate another genre of music. It is real lame

In reference to any song with guttural vocals: "So, like can you understand what they're saying?" or when asked what sort of music they like, a response such as "I listen to everything except country!". If your next question is "what metal bands do you like?" be prepared for a blank stare or a response like Disturbed or Evanescence...:guh:

Everything that's been said is totally fucking true.

I've been told that the music i like sounds very, and I quote, "dark and angry." My response to that was, "that's the whole point!"

I don't understand why some people don't like metal.

When people say stuff like 'I was in the mosh pit at the Mumford and Sons gig'. That really pisses me off. People seem to be using the term mosh pit to describe standing near the front of a stage. Go see Kreator dumbass!

"That's not music, it's noise."

"It can't be healthy to listen to music like this. Aren't you always angry and depressed?"

"They just do the same thing over and over."

"It all sounds the same."

Yeah I think you guys really nailed a few of my peeves. I always feel like I'm nitpicking with the genre thing but it's annoying when someone who does not get my music asks what kind of band I play in and basically everything I try to use to describe it makes them more confused. The following is a excerpt of a real conversation I had about a week ago describing my Melodic Death Metal Band.

Girl - "oh so it's a heavy thing, I like that stuff sometimes too like screamo and stuff. Is it like Alexisonfire"
Me - Nah it's pretty much jsut Death Metal (trying to keep it simple)
Girl - More like Billy Talent?
Me - No you're actually getting further form it
Girl - What about to Disturbed do you like them?
Me - Okay Seriously I doubt you know what it is
Girl - is it like that yelling stuff where you scream about death? *Does HORRIBLE growling impression that everyone does to imitate/make fun of it because they think it all sounds the same and takes no skill*
Me - Yeahhh.... Let's just leave it at that.

She went on for a few more minutes but this is a near exact record of the conversation. She was nice about it and legitimately wanted to know but it gets toa point where you realize the other person doesn't get it.

All that said, the thing that really bothers me is when people call it nothing but noise or they judge the ENTIRE band based on the style of vocals. People that listen to Pop and shit it's ALL about the vocals and they can't seem to comprehend that Metal is about the instruments more than anything. The vocals are often employed more as an instrument really, and lyrics are not the important part so much as the sound.

They hear more than a couple things going on at once and assume it's just talentless noise because they are used to one looping repetitive beat. For some reason they get hung up on one thing too rather than listening and paying attention to the details, to me this mean they have no true appreciation for music. I guess that's why they say most people enjoy their music, Metalheads live it. :headbang:

And yeah the horrible impression people do to demean Screams/growls because again they think their bad impression is all it takes.

Mostly what other people said

"Aren't you always angry and depressed?"
"I can't understand what they're saying"

And

"That song/band is just weird"

I get this one a lot, being planted unfortunately at the very top of the bible belt.

"You mean that devil worship stuff?"

Yes. Yes, I do.

Shit metalheads say:

Hardcore? Fuck that emo shit, listen to thrash metal!
If you don't like Black Sabbath you hate metal.
Poseur!

Shit non-metalheads say:
Megadeth? Sorry I don't listen to screaming music.
Punk? is that Linkin Park?
Is power metal like, Asking Alexandria?

Summary: Everyone Sucks.

it's funny that classic rock fans who claim to hate metal usually like Judas Priest and Iron Maiden

usual convo between me and poseur:

me: so do you listen to any metal?

poseur: o yeah totally! disturbed is my favorite band! what's your favorite band?

me: megadeth. disturbed sucks btw.

poseur: *quizzical look* mega-DETH?? that sounds awful! and disturbed is better than that evil screaming music like megadeth!

me: actually disturbed has more screaming than megadeth so SUCK IT!!