Show us your studio 2012 [room / racks / backline]

Just made some upgrades last week; I mainly wanted it to look more custom built rather than having the feeling of "acoustic panels in a regular room". :)

ctrlroom1.jpg

All the wood details here are new

live1.jpg

This whole wall structure is new. The corner traps were there before but they are now more built into the structure. They also open, so we have storage room for cables behind, plus the one on the right hides the air intake for ventilation
Awesome, I love the improved look with the slats!

I need some of those wooden panels for two of my large absorbers too, what kind of wood did you use? Is it solid wood, particle board with decor on it, or "glued wood" panels etc.?
Also, did you paint it or stain it etc? All the material I can find is either too deep, way too light or only particle board with decor finish, which basically looks good but the edges look shitty.

Awesome, I love the improved look with the slats!

I need some of those wooden panels for two of my large absorbers too, what kind of wood did you use? Is it solid wood, particle board with decor on it, or "glued wood" panels etc.?
Also, did you paint it or stain it etc? All the material I can find is either too deep, way too light or only particle board with decor finish, which basically looks good but the edges look shitty.

Thanks!!

It's solid pine, the really cheap stuff, nothing fancy. I stained it in a very simple way: water-based brown dark brown paint, regular paint for indoors, diluted with water. About 1 part paint for 5 parts water or something like that. Staining has for some reason been an issue for me, I haven't dared and when I've asked in a paint store the thing they recommended was NOT cheap. But this way, we used 1 liter of paint, which was also enough for the darker details!

Thanks!!

It's solid pine, the really cheap stuff, nothing fancy. I stained it in a very simple way: water-based brown dark brown paint, regular paint for indoors, diluted with water. About 1 part paint for 5 parts water or something like that. Staining has for some reason been an issue for me, I haven't dared and when I've asked in a paint store the thing they recommended was NOT cheap. But this way, we used 1 liter of paint, which was also enough for the darker details!
Thanks, this helps a lot :) I haven't decided yet how dark I want the slats and what kind of wood and grain etc. (the fabric behind the slats is black) but the way you did it definitely looks great and wouldn't be crazy expensive, too... I'll have to think about it and visit the DIY store some more ;)

Thanks, this helps a lot :) I haven't decided yet how dark I want the slats and what kind of wood and grain etc. (the fabric behind the slats is black) but the way you did it definitely looks great and wouldn't be crazy expensive, too... I'll have to think about it and visit the DIY store some more ;)

It's very easy to control with this kind of staining: do one coating and if it is too bright just add a second one, and the paint will be so liquid that it's easy to distribute. Actually what I also did was to have a glass of water around all the time to dilute the paint even more through the process. You'll see when you start painting! The only thing to be cautious about is that it drips a bit, and if you don't notice in time you'll end up with ugly marks on the lower boards.

We went from this;

375987_332617503420414_180913995257433_1572037_1036614214_n.jpg

to this;

390197_335768293105335_180913995257433_1581414_780191603_n.jpg

In 4 days. We ended up having to move a month before we thought we had to with a band starting on the following Monday.

We still have a few things to do, like putting a wood floor down and adding some more diffusion but the room sounds great, 22 bass traps in the damn thing.

The rack;

384843_336751659673665_180913995257433_1583963_1915343953_n.jpg

Things hopefully coming this year, some form of console (looking at a Slate Raven X1), Event Opals and two Universal Audio Apollo's. Hope business stays strong!

I'd upload photos of our live room but its in a state, we're basically doing what we did to this room in there, but raising the ceiling around 1.5 meters. Once that is done we're getting professional photos.

Building your own rooms is great fun and really satisfying to be there working and knowing you built it with your own two hands :)

Still not ready but I got some new pictures and minor changes.. Lots of work yet to be done (and after that, the kitchen and bath will get renovated) but though I'd share this with you anyway
Controlroom (the back is the next thing to be finished so there's no pic yet):
controlroom.jpg

Liveroom:
liveroom2.jpg

liveroom.jpg

Amps:
backline.JPG

Looking great Jipchen! Lighting is a bit too much for my taste though. Seems like it should feel a bit more relaxed. Just me though.
Also, is that a squier bass? Are they really worth it??

Yeah dude, the Squier Vintage Modified JBass with the alder body/natural finish is really awesome, especially at the price they go for. Have had the pleasure of using one of them many times, always sound good.

Looking great Jipchen! Lighting is a bit too much for my taste though. Seems like it should feel a bit more relaxed. Just me though.
Also, is that a squier bass? Are they really worth it??
Thanks! Yeah the lighting looks funny in the pictures, that's not really what it is like at all haha. The camera kind of made everything a lot brighter and "warmer" than the lighting in the room is. Also there are several light circuits for each room (#1 the LED spots in the ceiling, #2 the floor lamps, #3 will be two wall lamps in the CR that are for mood light more than actual light and #4 will probably be another indirect lighting by LED-chains on top of the clouds) and I can turn them on and off individually so if I want to it can be light as day, but also more relaxed (like in the third picture) only with indirect lights, or even gloomy :D

Yeah that's a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass, and I think it's pretty cool. It's a little mid-focused frequency wise when directly compared to the Schecter, but definitely usable and pretty cheap. Those are not my basses though, a friend pretty much stores them here :lol:

I spent a few hours with Max last month, the place rules. It's smaller than you'd expect in person, but it's cozy and has vibe and is totally relaxing in the best way possible. The control room is setup to be an absolute dream to work in, and the sound out of his monitors is fucking amazing. HUGE stereo field and insane amount of depth to everything.

I spent a few hours with Max last month, the place rules. It's smaller than you'd expect in person, but it's cozy and has vibe and is totally relaxing in the best way possible. The control room is setup to be an absolute dream to work in, and the sound out of his monitors is fucking amazing. HUGE stereo field and insane amount of depth to everything.

Our drummer recorded in his place for Max BM Band. He said it was awesome! I can't imagine what I would be capable off with such a place.

Thanks guys, it means a lot. Seeing that the hundreds of hours of work my friends, family and I invested weren't wasted but lead to this (and of course the great designs, planning and help from the acoustician, Mika) makes me really happy. It probbaly sounds strange but it's a good feeling to know we've created this by ourselves, hehe.
Our drummer recorded in his place for Max BM Band. He said it was awesome! I can't imagine what I would be capable off with such a place.
If it makes you feel any better, imo your productions still sound better than mine (yet! :heh: ), honestly.
Then again I haven't finished a full production in the new studio with my new experiences and all the gear I bought over the last 1,5 years because there were so many things to do. But good rooms alone won't make the stuff sound instantly better, that's what I learnt at least ;) It will take some time for me to get used to the rooms and know how to really work in them.. if the time comes , the results will probbaly be better than what I could've achieved in my old bedroom :lol:

Well, the first full production will be finished in late February and will probably be out in May. I guess then you'll see.

We went from this;

to this;

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't you the dudes building in to one of the Soundworks rooms? Ozzy park? Or am I thinking something else?

Oh and Max, massive penis envy on my end here. Still cuts me every time I see pictures of your studio, you are one lucky and skilled bastard indeed. :lol: