Slate Drums 3.0 at Namm 09

hey guys, I'm still a bit exhausted from NAMM but wanted to stop in and say hey...

NAMM was great and Glen Sobel constantly had crowds so 20+ people...

Also please disregard the sound you are hearing! Remember this is from a camcorder recording crappy Mackie PA speakers on the loud NAMM floor. In fact you can hear more of the sticks hitting the roland pads then the actual audio when Glenn plays.. For actual sounds, find yourself 20 free minutes and go here:

www.stevenslatedrums.com/scott

and btw I use regular old GNC protein...

THANKS FOR LINK!!!

hurry the F*^% up with this!:headbang:

here is the first of NINE videos featuring Glen Sobel playing all the kits... this first video doesn't have any of the metal kits (we have five kits JUST for metal).. but it does show off how well they play and the versatility of the collection..
You may want to right click the link and download it since its a bit too big to stream on some connections:

www.slatestudios.com/david/File1.mov
glen2.jpg

here is the first of NINE videos featuring Glen Sobel playing all the kits... this first video doesn't have any of the metal kits (we have five kits JUST for metal).. but it does show off how well they play and the versatility of the collection..
You may want to right click the link and download it since its a bit too big to stream on some connections:

www.slatestudios.com/david/File1.mov
glen2.jpg

Awesome...

Can't wait to see the rest... (btw i loved the reggae kit, especially the snare, perfect for some Deftones/36 Crazyfists or hardcore metal stuff)

File 2.mov 15-Jan-2009 00:36 21M
File 3.mov 14-Jan-2009 23:19 27M
File 4.mov 14-Jan-2009 23:22 20M
File 5.mov 14-Jan-2009 23:31 22M
File 6.mov 15-Jan-2009 00:59 24M
File 7.mov 15-Jan-2009 00:39 20M
File 8.mov 15-Jan-2009 00:42 19M
File 9.mov 15-Jan-2009 00:46 22M
File1.mov 14-Jan-2009 23:15 30M

all movies available at http://www.slatestudios.com/david/

sounds great

sounds great

Thanks for the link! :headbang:

sounds great

Better than awesome.

I'm not as hyped about this as many of you guys are, but that's maybe because most of you want these purely for the sound so you can blend them in with real drums in a mix? When played through an e-kit, I don't think it holds up to replace real drums 100%. It just sounds too mechanical, even though there seems to be many different velocity levels recorded, it seems as if when Glen plays, only the max velocity samples are being triggered (not always of course). Maybe it would help if he had a soft velocity curve setting on the e-drums... :)

The sound is very good though, I can imagine these would sound amazing in mixes where you just use them to reinforce the real drums, but many of the clips on the homepage where the drums are only Slate drums, don't really sound good because of the mechanical feeling.

Man... even though one has the option of recording hundreds of sounds for one drum with today's technology, it is still hard to replace acoustic drums 100%. There are too many variables when a real drummer plays real drums :|

There are too many variables when a real drummer plays real drums :|

You're right, for example most drummers can't even tune their drums, play in time/to a click or hit the drums consistantly and use excuses such as "I don't normally play this bad, I'm much better live."

The sound is very good though, I can imagine these would sound amazing in mixes where you just use them to reinforce the real drums, but many of the clips on the homepage where the drums are only Slate drums, don't really sound good because of the mechanical feeling.

But as you say, I'd primarily buy SSD3.0 to sound replace poor drum tracks.
I don't really plan to use it with my e-kit, I already have Superior 2.0 and Addictive Drums for that, although there would be no harm in trying it out with the e-kit if I was getting SSD for sound replacing work anyways...

In my case I usually have better (for my taste) results when I replace / blend with my own (unprocessed) samples.

I find the Slate samples do a better job when used more exclusively. I mean - those samples are recorded/processed completely different to the stuff I record/process. So they usually blend not that good. For me! So it sounds great when you have some stuff to mix which was recorded somewhere else and you don't mind loosing crappy mic-tracks - so you can replace 100% using Z3 together with Z1 etc and stuff. On my own recordings I usually want to keep what I recorded.

But I do find them very very good - and of course I will purchase V3.

Just wanted to chime in and recommend that you don't listen to any demos on my current homepage. Thats the old stuff. New webpage is almost done. It features the demos heard here, as posted earlier in this thread:

www.stevenslatedrums.com/scott

These were all played on Vdrums. I'll be damned if you can put any other drum software on and play your vdrums and get sounds like these... of course I'm biased :) Check out the vintage fatty kit and Dan kit where Glen isn't blasting 100%, its very natural and smooth and responsive... of course when he hits hard, you'll get the consistent smack or crack that your mix will need.

SSD 3.0 is a whole new animal, and the new stuff plays like a mother f'er.

Again, check out Glen playing the kits at:
www.slatestudios.com/david

SSD 3.0 is far from a replacement only package.. our SSD Virtual Instrument is extremely powerful, plays great on both keyboard and pads, and has a unique midi groove package that is formed into SONGS for super easy programming.

Let me know if there are any questions..

Wow, what's the date and price on this thing? You've effectively destroyed the only drawback the previous versions had by adding its own VST package.

date: this week
price: $329 platinum (40 kits) $199 LE (20 kits)... call you local Guitar Center, Sam Ash, etc.. and demand that they have it in stock for you to grab!! It will of course be available through many other US and international retailers as well via our online store.

screenshot of SSD3:

screenshot3.jpg