Slickest Production

Burzum- Filosofem. Amazing production in a black metal way. I love the fuzzy tone of the guitars, it is like a mysterious mist encircling the music... in addition, the multi-layering of riffs gives the guitars extra punch. Drums are perfectly clear in the mix as well.

Immolation- Close to A World Below. The slickest and possibly best production I've heard on a death metal cd. The riffs and drums produce unbelievable ground-shaking amounts of bottom end, without going overboard.

musicalorgasms said:
Iced Earths Burnt Offerings and Dream Theaters Images and words and Awake. And of course, nevermind its cheesy ness but the production is flawless... Metallicas Black album

this reminds me how much I despise Dream Theater. they're not even metal!

The CD's with my favorite production are:

Immortal - At The Heart of Winter
Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Opeth - Still Life
Behemoth - Demigod

The Devin Townsend Band has a unique production (especially on Terria) that gives the guitar work this "wall of sound" feel but at the same time allows you to get everything possible from the music, emotionally.

naboo said:
The CD's with my favorite production are:

Immortal - At The Heart of Winter
Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings
Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor
Opeth - Still Life
Behemoth - Demigod

Awesome drum production on that one. :worship:

I hate Lamb of God production. Waaaay too over-produced.

In terms of killer in your face production, Gospel of the Horns' Call To Arms is superb. As is, in fact, the new Motorhead album 'Kiss of Death' - incredible sound!

It all depends what effect you are looking for though.

Drudkh - Forgotten Legends: The guitar tone on this album is unbelievable. I love it. Easily one of the best tones I've ever heard, possibly even my favorite (at least for BM). Unfortunately the drums sound a bit dull in comparison, though this might be to further emphasize the guitars/bass.

Gorguts - Obscura: Very dense and dirty. In addition to the amazing songwriting, the production makes the album feel very heavy, in an almost tangible sense. The bass guitar's thunky tone adds to this even more, it often sounds like a percussion instrument. I always get the feeling I'm chewing something very hard (like say, beef jerky) when listening to this album. Sounds stupid, but it's an interesting sensation.

Isis - Oceanic and Panopticon: Just flat out cool. Guitar tone is great (also one of my favorites right along with FL's) and very recognizable as Isis. I love its icy feeling. Bass and drums also complement it perfectly. Both albums are so cold, but at the same time, very soothing. Hard to explain.