so, when the album leaks

The Serenity solo is probably my favourite Opeth solo. Perfect blend of technicality, melody and interplay with the backing riff.

Mike's solos on 'A Fair Judgement' are very good, I agree, but he has a knack for that sort of thing. Peter's is decidedly average. It feels like it tries to keep up with the vibe that Mike's sets but just can't keep up with the intensity, emotion and most importantly the feel. It just sounds sterile.

Looking for a Job said:
i think most of the still life solos are out of place...especially the benighted one. doesn't belong there at all

I probably couldn't disagree more. Being a guitarist, I'm so sick of the linear approach to soloing that most bands set out. Where you can actually predict a solo is coming and for how many bars its gonna go for. Still Life just blows all that crap out of the water. I can see Mike being like: "I want a solo there. Now. Bitch." "But Mike, that's where the vocal melody int..." "Shut the fuck up, get me my PRS".

I remember downloading Blackwater park before it's release, and that album has never grown on me like the other Opeth albums have, so I take that as a warning and will wait :p

opeth's solos are amazing. none of them stick out like a sore thumb. they aren't in the song "just for the sake of having a solo in this part," but because they flow nicely with the music. they are another part of the song!

Sorry to take it off track, I've only read this page and the first page - which I found of some interest. Something to the effect of people not downloading the album out of respect for the band.

I am all for supporting bands you like and think are worth supporting, however the interesting issue here is not being able to try before you buy. Its not as if Opeth are played on any of my local radio stations in any regular way (or in anyway, infact), so how can you tell whether its worth buying?

Music (and to an extent, movies etc) belongs in a limited category goods in which fans (consumers) do not necessarily know the quality of said good, before they buy it. Most things you purchase on a regular basis, come with guarantees of quality, where as music, clearly does not. I admit, an artist has to work to gain respect and earn a fan base, thus pushing most of the risk of a sale upon themselves. However, established artists seem to be indemnified from releasing a wrath of shit upon fans (see St Anger, although in this case i use the term fan, loosely) . Thus my point, why should we not be able to try before we buy? Enjoying the album and not buying it, is a different issue all together, but I can't see a problem with finding out if something is any good or not.

So until artists are willing to return my money for albums that blatantly suck balls (see Slayer, Metallica, Sepultura, Mayhem, Burzum, Emperor, Xasthur, Grand Belial's Key) you name the band, they probably released at least one shit album), I don't think its my duty to support them until I know they are worth it, ESPECIALLY at up to $40 bucks a CD, which for someone over in Aus on min wage, is 2.5hrs work.

misfit said:
Sorry to take it off track, I've only read this page and the first page - which I found of some interest. Something to the effect of people not downloading the album out of respect for the band.

I am all for supporting bands you like and think are worth supporting, however the interesting issue here is not being able to try before you buy. Its not as if Opeth are played on any of my local radio stations in any regular way (or in anyway, infact), so how can you tell whether its worth buying?

Music (and to an extent, movies etc) belongs in a limited category goods in which fans (consumers) do not necessarily know the quality of said good, before they buy it. Most things you purchase on a regular basis, come with guarantees of quality, where as music, clearly does not. I admit, an artist has to work to gain respect and earn a fan base, thus pushing most of the risk of a sale upon themselves. However, established artists seem to be indemnified from releasing a wrath of shit upon fans (see St Anger, although in this case i use the term fan, loosely) . Thus my point, why should we not be able to try before we buy? Enjoying the album and not buying it, is a different issue all together, but I can't see a problem with finding out if something is any good or not.

So until artists are willing to return my money for albums that blatantly suck balls (see Slayer, Metallica, Sepultura, Mayhem, Burzum, Emperor, Xasthur, Grand Belial's Key) you name the band, they probably released at least one shit album), I don't think its my duty to support them until I know they are worth it, ESPECIALLY at up to $40 bucks a CD, which for someone over in Aus on min wage, is 2.5hrs work.

when i started the thread, it was intended to be more light-hearted, but it turned into a morality issue. the original question was, how long can you wait for this new music? buying or not buying the album wasn't even a question. I hope that everyone on this entire forum buys the new album, if it is available to them and if they have the money.

this had nothing to do with the point you were making, which i can agree with.

funny how this "try before you buy" crap is spewed about all the time.

you didn't hear about this freebie bullshit until you COULD download it first.

fuck the intarweb.

Yeah, and we didn't save people's lives with antibiotics until we had them... does that mean we shouldn't use them?

It's more like fuck record companies for screwing us for so many years. For decades we've pretty much been at their mercy. Now technology is more in our favor; i think hearing music before you buy it is a legitimate favor to ask. You read through a book a bit before buying it, music works the same way.