Submission: Women of Islam

Well, Atleast HAUA can recognize the fact that it's not about "Religion" and "Culture" or whatever bullshit-ass term some tight-ass coffee sipping faggot is starbucks with his macintosh is tell you to use, it's about "humanity". Cutlure should play second fiddle to the basic morals and rights of humans, not the other fuckng way around.

Well, Atleast HAUA can recognize the fact that it's not about "Religion" and "Culture" or whatever bullshit-ass term some tight-ass coffee sipping faggot is starbucks with his macintosh is tell you to use, it's about "humanity". Cutlure should play second fiddle to the basic morals and rights of humans, not the other fuckng way around.

x2

treating women as subhuman fucking animals can never be justified, no matter how many times you want to pull out the utter bullshit "culture" card.

It's not about "imposing" our constitution or culture. It's about freeing people from the subjigation.

I suppose that the northern states shouldn't have stopped the south from enslaving and abusing the blacks cause it was "part of thier culture", and we shouldn't "impose our values on people with other values".

This is bullshit. A culture is bad when they kill women for being raped or when they force women to wear a Burka. Those are not western values those are human values. Islamic law is sickening and what makes it worse is that it is based on something that is untrue. If some muslims ignore the bad parts of their religion, as genocide roach mentioned, that's great, but it obviously is practiced in many parts of the world.

"X is bad."

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I want to know WHY? What you are saying would have a lot more force if you could use terms that are not value-loaded. Saying something is sickening never convinced anyone. Imagine if someone said to you "listening to Heavy Metal is sickening", would you be converted? Wouldn't you want something more substantive before you change your ways?

If what they do is barbaric, stupid and inhumane, that is why we should help. Just because they are doing based on religion does not get them a free pass.

Maybe, but when does their business become our business?

Susperia's opening post to thread

I find the situation for Muslim women very disturbing and disgusting. Every story I hear about their conditions & lack of freedom shakes me. It's very upsetting.

Frankly though, many of the disheartening stories of the plight of women across the world upsets me. It fucking pisses me off that it is 2007 and *still* there is no equality. Men still earn more, and sentencing for rape is pathetically light. It's fucking revolting and makes my blood boil.

"X is bad."

I'm not disagreeing with you, but I want to know WHY? What you are saying would have a lot more force if you could use terms that are not value-loaded. Saying something is sickening never convinced anyone. Imagine if someone said to you "listening to Heavy Metal is sickening", would you be converted? Wouldn't you want something more substantive before you change your ways?
Fine. Islamic law is morally wrong, because it sanctions the mistreatment of women. Humans have evolved to have morals, but this belief systems rationalizes viewing women as lesser humans. Is that clear? The difference between saying heavy metal music is sickening and Islamic law is sickening is that 1.) there is no evidence showing negative of effects of music and 2.) It only affects the listener, not other people. I realize you were just using that as an example, but I'm trying to show you some criteria by which I came to my judgment.

Dän;6367358 said:
Maybe, but when does their business become our business?
Now this is the sticking point. As much as I think it would be great if there were no more "honor killings" or burkas, it is both illogical and impractical to "force" them to do it, either by military or other means. I frankly do not have a solution, but at the very least we can condemn it.

I chuckled at Hibernal's extreme subscription to cultural relativism...

and yeah, radical fundis need to be stoped at all costs, and there's nothing that infuriates me more than the mistreatment of women. Funny thing is, the Muslim girls who I've met on my campus live pretty comfortably, and date white/black/etc guys without any serious trouble. If there is serious abuse like this going on, perhaps the community of Dearborn needs to be under closer scrutiny, due to the massive arab population, the biggest outside of the middle east.

Personally I think Arabic chicks are uber hawt. I went out with a Turkish chick a few years ago and she was fucking stunning... albeit fucking nuts :lol:

It isn't the religion that is the problem, it is the culture in those countries. Muslim women in the US have a similar lifestyle to most other American women; they are perhaps more obedient, but they also usually find nothing wrong with it. I have an aunt who is that way; she isn't looking for more independence. People need to differentiate between accepted customs within other cultures when those participating have no complaints about it and extreme cases that may require outside intervention.

It isn't the religion that is the problem, it is the culture in those countries. Muslim women in the US have a similar lifestyle to most other American women; they are perhaps more obedient, but they also usually find nothing wrong with it. I have an aunt who is that way; she isn't looking for more independence. People need to differentiate between accepted customs within other cultures when those participating have no complaints about it and extreme cases that may require outside intervention.

this is true. You can have whatever culture you want to have as long as everybody is treated with some dignity and respect.

Why do they need to change? Because you think what they are doing is wrong? Based on what?

Based on that were human beings first and foremost and not East or West, North or South... or catholic, jew, muslim, satanist etc.. Murder or torture of a human being in the name of religion, culture, money or whatever is wrong morally as a human being and not what religion you follow or what area you are from culturally... A american saying that torturing or murdering a woman because she wears nail polish or kisses her boyfriend/husband in public or won't marry whom you dictate they marry etc.. is a human being telling another human being it is just wrong to kill or torture that person for those reasons among others... its not West telling East they should follow "Western ideas"... it's not a Western Idea... it's a human idea these things are wrong... we are suppose to be the dominating "animal" on this earth who can reason and have free will... but when we do such things to women regardless of the reason we are no different then the other animals on this earth... in the end we are just animals and not humans by doing these acts...

i think your half right and half wrong. wroght? anyways...

religion dominates their culture. alot of the things we consider wrong are pulled straight out of the koran. now, alot of muslims have moved away from the literal meaning of the text, just like christians have, but there are some that still cling to it, just like some christians do. granted there are still some core ideas like modesty (hence women wearing abiyyas. and btw, men also wear somthing similar called a galabiyya) that are still widely practiced. but genocide in the name of allah and other fringe ideas like female circumcision are looked down upon by most muslims (obviously not all).

i think when you say culture, youre speaking about traditional clothes and such. so in that you are right. but we cant forget where it all stems from, islam.
~gR~

Personally I think Arabic chicks are uber hawt. I went out with a Turkish chick a few years ago and she was fucking stunning... albeit fucking nuts :lol:

seriously. every time i go into doha, i see some AMAZING women. although, some have a nasty unibrow. kinda like that chic from dodgeball
~gR~

i think your half right and half wrong. wroght? anyways...

religion dominates their culture. alot of the things we consider wrong are pulled straight out of the koran. now, alot of muslims have moved away from the literal meaning of the text, just like christians have, but there are some that still cling to it, just like some christians do. granted there are still some core ideas like modesty (hence women wearing abiyyas. and btw, men also wear somthing similar called a galabiyya) that are still widely practiced. but genocide in the name of allah and other fringe ideas like female circumcision are looked down upon by most muslims (obviously not all).

i think when you say culture, youre speaking about traditional clothes and such. so in that you are right. but we cant forget where it all stems from, islam.
~gR~
Good post. To say it is there culture and not their religion is not entirely correct because much of their culture is based upon the Koran. Just because some muslims (thankfully) ignore the bad parts of the book is irrelevant to those who unfortunately don't.