Survey: which way do you lean on each political issue?

zabu of nΩd

Free Insultation
Feb 9, 2007
Here's a little project to stimulate political discussion about the upcoming election in a more organised manner on the forum. Everyone go to this webpage:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compar...presidential_candidates,_2008#Economic_issues
Then read through the table, and for each of the issues listed (those you have something to say about, anyway), state which Presidential candidate you support on it (if any), how strongly you support him, and then give a brief explanation of your answer. Please use bold headers to make things more readable. If you don't have an opinion on an issue, leave it out of your answers. I did my answers on an either/or basis between the two major candidates, but you can include minor ones if you want.

Also, if anyone finds any glaring inaccuracies or omissions on that Wikipedia page, let me know and I can make an addendum of errata in this post.

Oh, and if you're not American... eh... I guess find a similar page corresponding to your country if there's an election coming up there.

Trade
Obama, strongly.
Human rights and environmental protection are far more important than putting more money in American businesses' hands.

Health Care
Obama.
A 15% uninsured rate is unacceptable, and a move toward universal health care will both save money (see http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/gmd-social-forum/400892-who-you-going-vote-9.html#post7337857 for explanation) and prevent suffering, as evidenced by the success in all other developed countries.

NASA
Either.
This is so not a priority for our country right now.

Taxation and Budget Deficit
Either.
The budget situation is a disaster right now, and there's not going to be much wiggle room for the candidates regardless of their philosophies. Both seem like pretty fiscally responsible guys (and the shit Obama gets for advocating universal health care is completely unwarranted). What disappoints me about both candidates is that neither seems to be talking about the FairTax idea.

Social Security
McCain, barely.
I'm really torn on this issue, since on one hand it represents charity for the incompetent, and on the other hand I acknowledge that without it many people would have miserable lives in their elderly years, and that it's not necessarily one's own fault to be undereducated about finance. I do believe, however, that Social Security should allow for more individual input, or else it just feels like dictatorship over one's money. My main reservation about McCain (or any Republican who talks about privatising Social Security) is that what they really intend to do is do away with the mandatory payment altogether, but I can't imagine they could even come close to advocating that without being denounced as heartless, ruthless elitists.

Network Neutrality
Obama, completely.
This is one of McCain's most idiotic and irresponsible positions. That he could even consider putting capitalism over civil liberties is nothing short of disturbing.

Arab-Israeli Conflict
Either.
Is this issue even controversial? Fuck having a bunch of rabid Islamic extremists run rampant over the only halfway-decent country in that whole area.

Iraq
McCain.
Although I would have sided with Obama on this if it only concerned the initiation of the war, he's made it pretty clear that he has little concern for gauging our presence in Iraq on Iraq's own stability. And as much as pacifists like Obama may consider our occupation more of a threat to world peace than a benefit, it's hard to deny that having a well-established military presence in the middle of a terrorist hotbed is a huge strategic advantage against the Islamic dictatorships.

Iran
Either.
While I like Obama's emphasis on diplomacy, I trust McCain more to approach the issue with the necessary opportunism and (if needed) aggressiveness. I'm not sure how those two qualities balance out, really.

Environment
Obama.
This seems to be an issue he's thought about a lot, and I'm actually a little eager to see what he could get done as President to increase our country/world's sustainability. And although I will admit that McCain's one of the more environmentally-conscious Republicans out there, he still can't be trusted not to put financial concerns ahead of our planet's future.

Energy
Either.
Both candidates seem to have plenty of the right ideas for managing the upcoming energy crisis.

Homosexual Marriage
Obama.
Only because I've read that he at least supports homosexual civil unions (I have not read the same about McCain). I would imagine Obama to be more gay-friendly in general, which is always a good thing.

Abortion
Obama, strongly.
Although I don't necessarily consider Roe v. Wade the best standard for drawing the line on abortion, there at least needs to be room on both sides of that line, and I have a feeling that McCain would be fine with an unconditional ban on abortion.

Gun Control
Obama.
McCain: assault rifles are okay, and you shouldn't have to wait to get one. Can we say "stereotypical gun nut"?

Education
Obama, strongly.
Since this comes down to the question of vouchers, and since the idea of turning schooling into a business is despicable, I'm with Obama on this one.

Patriot Act
Obama.
Fuck the Patriot Act.

I'm with Obama on trade, for the same reasons Virus mentioned. I'm with Obama on health care as well.

I don't care about NASA, I think it's a waste of time to talk about unless they do something really cool and useful.

On Social Security I'm with Obama but I'm dubious about the long-term feasibility of Social Security due to the declining birth rate.

I'm with Obama on Net Neutrality; McCain would not do anything unless the liberals got control, Obama would just do something; this isn't a big issue for me though.

As far as lobbying goes, I refuse to believe that either of them are not taking money under the table.

As far as Israel goes, frankly I'm sick of fucking Israel, the government is a bunch of assholes. I doubt there's any way to resolve the situation at this point, but neither candidate seems to be promoting that, so I'm gonna say neither.

For Iraq, I think Obama's plan to redeploy troops to Afghanistan, where they might actually do some good, is pretty solid, but I worry he'll pull out too soon; McCain, on the other hand, I worry would never leave. I'd prefer pulling out too soon to staying around forever, so I have a slight preference for Obama on this one but really I'm somewhere in between.

With Iran I have mixed opinions; I really strongly feel that if Iran gets nukes we're all fucked, but war with Iran would be absolutely disastrous. I'll go with McCain on this and just hope he can scare the shit out of Iran without actually invading.

On Darfur, both candidates seem vaguely in favor of doing something, so I could go either way.

On nukes they both seem to feel the same way but Obama seems more intense about it, and I'm a big fan of not having nukes. Either.

On Pakistan, for once Obama seems to have more balls than McCain. And I agree, because blowing up terrorists in Pakistan is actually worthwhile, unlike sitting around being blown up in Iraq.

On extrajudicial prisoners, I'm with Obama, shit needs to be done, although McCain also gets points for this.

On the armenian genocide, FUCK turkey, it was a fucking genocide, period.

On the environment, McCain gets credit for not being a typical Republican on this but I'm with Obama.

On energy, I lean a bit towards Obama but both are on the right track

On gay marriage, I'm with Obama, McCain is more opposed to gay marriage and frankly I think this is an issue that's very simple to resolve, just legalize it universally and then wait till everyone stops bitching long enough to realize that the world hasn't ended.

On abortion, I support abortion rights, and Obama supports them, so this is a no-brainer.

On guns, I'm with Obama. There's no conceivable legal reason for a private citizen to need an assault rifle or a concealed weapon.

On immigration I'm with McCain, actually

On stem-cells, both are in favor, so either.

On education, I'm totally with Obama.

On the Patriot Act, it would be difficult for me to express how vigorously I oppose it, so Obama.

Trade: Bob Barr
Tariffs hurt countries, so why have them?
Health Care: Bob Barr
NASA: I don't really care either way
Taxation/Budget: Bob Barr. Obama knows shit all about how taxes work, so fuck him
Social Security: Bob Barr
End Social Security as a public system. It should have been ended as such years ago.
Network Neutrality: Don't force network neutrality unless it's obviously hurting consumers, so McCain
Lobbying: Obama
Iraq: Bob Barr
Education: I'm not really sure. I would consider a public education system, but it needs to REALLY be reformed, so I don't really support any candidate here
Patriot Act: Bob fucking Barr

Can't you tell I'm pretty libertarian?

As far as Israel goes, frankly I'm sick of fucking Israel, the government is a bunch of assholes. I doubt there's any way to resolve the situation at this point, but neither candidate seems to be promoting that, so I'm gonna say neither.

Don't you think a sliver of relative democracy on the Arabian peninsula is better than absolutely no democracy?

On immigration I'm with McCain, actually

Reason?

Patriot Act
Obama.
Fuck the Patriot Act.

Obama called for the repeal of the Patriot Act in 2003.[151] He voted for the reauthorization of the Patriot Act in 2006.[152] He supported recent FISA legislation giving telecommunications corporations immunity for cooperating with warrantless surveilance programs.[153]

???

So, you support the Patriot Act?

I'm going to have to read up on Barr since I don't know shit about him, but I'll say this in the meantime:

Libertarianism seems misguided in its efforts to oppose big government. I think most people would agree that you have a certain m**** obligation to help other people if it does not seriously disadvantage you, and a lot of the big government programs we have most certainly do more good than harm.

edit: m**** = m o r a l

Social programs are doing way more harm to the country than good. It's because of the future obligations that are to be made for medicare and social security that the country is actually in debt 50 TRILLION DOLLARS instead of just over 8 trillion dollars

http://www.pgpf.org/resources.dyn/PGPFCitizensGuide.pdf
http://www.buzzflash.com/articles/alerts/105
http://www.pgpf.org/about/nationaldebt/

Also, google I.O.U.S.A. It's a movie about this that's coming out

(Most) social programs should either be abolished or privatized somehow. If it's something like disability which is given to people that CAN'T perform anything at all, I can concede to letting some federal funding slip through for this. Shit like welfare is bullshit though

Only to protect our inalienable rights

EDIT: Read what I said about education

EDIT DOS: That wiki page is solid though. I'm going to print that out and review it.

Okay, I took a quick look at Barr's views. I'm okay with him on social/civil rights issues, but his foreign policy stance is horrible, as well as his views on education, and he doesn't seem to have any concern for the negative aspects of free trade. I think I would prefer McCain over him.

Social programs are doing way more harm to the country than good. It's because of the future obligations that are to be made for medicare and social security that the country is actually in debt 50 TRILLION DOLLARS instead of just over 8 trillion dollars

http://www.pgpf.org/resources.dyn/PGPFCitizensGuide.pdf
http://www.buzzflash.com/articles/alerts/105
http://www.pgpf.org/about/nationaldebt/

Also, google I.O.U.S.A. It's a movie about this that's coming out

Social programs should either be abolished or privatized somehow

I might agree with you on Social Security, but to say that health care is a waste of money is just mora lly apathetic. The added tax burden is not going to ruin people's lives, and it prevents many, many people's lives from being ruined.

I don't support anyone's stance on education. There really are no negative aspects of free trade (in theory). I'm not sure complete free trade has been implemented (even NAFTA isn't totally free trade I don't think). Tariffs are stupid though.

Again, I didn't discuss Barr's foreign policy stance because I disagree with some of it (like Iran). I agree with his stance on Iraq though.

I might agree with you on Social Security, but to say that health care is a waste of money is just mora lly apathetic. The added tax burden is not going to ruin people's lives, and it prevents many, many people's lives from being ruined.

Universal health care wouldn't be a waste of money if done right (which it won't be)

I don't support anyone's stance on education. There really are no negative aspects of free trade (in theory). I'm not sure complete free trade has been implemented (even NAFTA isn't totally free trade I don't think). Tariffs are stupid though.

Again, I didn't discuss Barr's foreign policy stance because I disagree with some of it (like Iran). I agree with his stance on Iraq though.

Well he is roughly on par with Obama as far as Iraq, but to say Iran isn't a serious threat and that the U.N. shouldn't be supported is pure ignorance.

As far as free trade, it is definitely not okay to leave the wellbeing of the planet in the hands of corporations out for money, and when you consider all the outsourcing, sweatshops, and hiring of illegal immigrants that goes on, I don't think you can count on them to do what's best for workers either.

Universal health care wouldn't be a waste of money if done right (which it won't be)

I would assume that Obama will model his policy (if he ever gets it off the ground) after the already-successful European ones. Do you know of anything that indicates otherwise?