Survey: which way do you lean on each political issue?

Trade: Bob Barr
Tariffs hurt countries, so why have them?
Health Care: Bob Barr
NASA: I don't really care either way
Taxation/Budget: Bob Barr. Obama knows shit all about how taxes work, so fuck him
Social Security: Bob Barr
End Social Security as a public system. It should have been ended as such years ago.
Network Neutrality: Don't force network neutrality unless it's obviously hurting consumers, so McCain
Lobbying: Obama
Iraq: Bob Barr
Education: I'm not really sure. I would consider a public education system, but it needs to REALLY be reformed, so I don't really support any candidate here
Patriot Act: Bob fucking Barr

Can't you tell I'm pretty libertarian?
:headbang:

"On guns, I'm with Obama. There's no conceivable legal reason for a private citizen to need an assault rifle or a concealed weapon."

Completely agree here.

I would assume that Obama will model his policy (if he ever gets it off the ground) after the already-successful European ones. Do you know of anything that indicates otherwise?

Well, I just don't think people are seeing the other side of this. Every time universal health care is brought up, the only people mentioned are the citizens who will be receiving health care. I'm always on the other side of the coin (the doctors' perspective) because of my dad. I mean, the only way this could really work is if you have the doctors on board as well. Most doctors aren't opposed to universal health care, but you have to take things into account like malpractice. How would that work under a universal system? Who would be responsible in such cases? Would it be the doctor or the government? How would licensure procedures work because of the new system?

It's two sides of the coin. You can't have an efficient system when the most important piece of the puzzle won't fit, so to speak

Ozzman, are you a libertarian out of pragmatism or out of pure ideology?

That's actually something I've never really thought about much.

I don't consider myself a libertarian. While the majority of my views align with the libertarian viewpoint, there are certain things I don't agree with pertaining to the libertarian viewpoint (like education and Iran, for example).

But, if you want an answer to your question, I guess it would be a little of both.

If I had to choose a party to belong to, it would most likely be the Libertarian party.

I wasn't raised by my parents to think that the government should provide everything for me. I was raised with the notion that I was going to have to take care of myself (at least in the great majority of aspects). The government is turning into something like a parent that is coddling a child when it should merely act in support of its citizens (I hope that makes sense)

I'd honestly like to see more power returned to the states, but it's not going to happen for a while

I´m with that energetic young upcomer Hitler. No but seriously if Obama wins America might actually become a likeable country,so go Obama.

I wasn't raised by my parents to think that the government should provide everything for me. I was raised with the notion that I was going to have to take care of myself (at least in the great majority of aspects). The government is turning into something like a parent that is coddling a child when it should merely act in support of its citizens (I hope that makes sense)
:kickass:

I actually do really like Barr even though I disapprove of some of his beliefs. He's anti-abortion and very religious; he wanted to ban the practice of Wicca in the military. While I see the latter point as somewhat moot, I still disagree with it as a matter of principle. People should practice what they choose. But he's backed away from the religious stuff as of late. And this is America; we can't discriminate against someone for being a Christian.

Trade: McCain or Barr. Both proponents of free trade and free market.

Health Care: this is an extremely difficult matter for me. Being in college, I know several people who can't afford to not have universal health care (or a step towards it, as Obama proposes). Still, I see a point in privatizing health care. I don't believe that the insurance companies should have control. They're the reason health care costs are so high (insurance companies and the damned medical malpractice attorneys). I believe that we can significantly lower health care costs by privatizing health care and eliminating the insurance companies. There are other methods to ensuring health care to people. Furthermore, if we can lower costs even thirty percent, it would decrease the number of people who can't afford it. This would make it easier to support the people who still couldn't afford it. I'm with Bob Barr. He's the closest to what I believe.

Taxes: I'll go with Barr again.

Social Security: while I agree that it should be an individual system, I do believe that there are some people who won't be able to afford it. However, I don't agree with Obama taking it away from those who earn $250,000 or more per year. I have to side with empowering people to make their own investments. We can still help those who need it, but not on such a forced (i.e. governmentally controlled) basis as Obama wants.

I'm a bit uninformed on the net neutrality issue, and I don't really understand what the problem is.

I'm with Barr on most foreign policy issues. He wants to steer clear of many foreign conflicts, but supports free trade and encourages trade with foreign nations. I'm not sure whether he supports trade unconditionally (i.e. regardless of their political/governmental formula). Barr has said, regarding the Iran issue, that "an attack on Iran would be unnecessary, counterproductive, costly and dangerous." He agrees with diplomatic relations between nations, and believe that this is the way to solve conflicts. He says that "only an imminent threat can ever justify a preemptive strike."

Gay Marriage: I believe that citizens should have the right to marry whom they choose. Obama most clearly supports this, but both he and Barr agree with allowing the States decide.

Abortion: Obama. People have the right to choose.

Gun Control: Barr. I don't get Obama sometimes; he wants to extend individual rights, and then he says we shouldn't have the right to bear arms (or more specifically, handguns)? I can't agree with him on that. Citizens have the right to purchase a pistol. I don't even see that as much of an issue. However, I do agree with mandatory tests/classes to obtain a handgun. Same with learning to drive; you have to pass a test to get your permit.

Immigration: if they're already here, I don't think we should enact legislation to get rid of them. But I do agree with exponentially increasing border patrol. We can't just allow it. I'm with Barr.

Stem Cell Research: mostly Obama. I have no idea why the fuck you would vote against stem cell research. It shouldn't even be an issue.

Eudcation: Don't really agree with Barr on this one, although I'm unsure where I stand. I don't think that education should be privatized. This is something that should be regulated (I believe) and should be readily available to all citizens.

Patriot Act: During the Libertarian Convention, Barr said of the Patriot Act: "I'd drive a stake through its heart, shoot it, burn it, cut off its head, burn it again, and scatter its ashes to the four corners of the world." Hell fuckin' yeah.

There's a difference between coddling and accounting for injustices inherent in the system. Of course, the US deals in both, but I hardly feel that the government should be as minimal as possible. I think that it should be essentially as small as would be beneficial and as large as would be useful, which would hopefully be around the same point. Obviously there is an abundance of things that I'd like to cut out of the government, and every facet of the government needs to be revised to obliterate the bureaucratic stranglehold that we find at every level of government, but there are certainly many valuable services that the government can (and one might argue should) provide aside from preventing people from killing and stealing.

There's a difference between coddling and accounting for injustices inherent in the system. Of course, the US deals in both, but I hardly feel that the government should be as minimal as possible. I think that it should be essentially as small as would be beneficial and as large as would be useful, which would hopefully be around the same point. Obviously there is an abundance of things that I'd like to cut out of the government, and every facet of the government needs to be revised to obliterate the bureaucratic stranglehold that we find at every level of government, but there are certainly many valuable services that the government can (and one might argue should) provide aside from preventing people from killing and stealing.

It's turning into coddling. It's not at that point yet, but it's slowly moving towards there.