Survey: which way do you lean on each political issue?

Krig should be allowed to vote, and should vote his fuckin' ass off. I don't agree with him on everything, but he balances out the absurd amount of liberal bias on this forum.

Krig should be allowed to vote, and should vote his fuckin' ass off. I don't agree with him on everything, but he balances out the absurd amount of liberal bias on this forum.

:erk:

Since when is it more important to have a balance of views than it is to actually think critically about your views?

The comment was partially sarcastic, and that probably wasn't too obvious in my post. Still, Krig says what he believes, and (even if his reasons aren't the most logical) he isn't afraid to boast his opinion amidst a community of posters who mostly believe otherwise. Furthermore, there are a lot of people on this forum who don't think critically. However, a lot of them demonstrate liberal ideals because that's what they think most people will agree with. They don't get called out, but that's because they appeal to the majority.

only the most heinous crimes committed by people under 18 are charged as an adult, if some kid has marijuana poss. and he's like 14, he's not going to jail for it.
Actually, that's not true at all. I watched a documentary on this (can't remember the title, but you could probably find it because Mos Def contributed poetry to it). In nice neighborhoods kids can get away with a ton of shit, but for example this one girl they were following who was like 14 drove these two guys to her school and they got out of the car and then suddenly saw some dude they were pissed at and beat the shit out of him (spontaneously). They were of course charged with A&B (and should have) but not only was she also charged, but she was tried as an adult and given at least 10 years.

And basically, this shit is pretty common. Kids involved in dumb shit, often caught up in gangs and brought up on A&B or possession are being tried as adults and locked up for absurd periods of time.

Krig should be allowed to vote in any democratic society. If you deny Krig's right to vote simply because you disagree with his opinions, you deny democracy.
But he's dumb.
So are most people.

The comment was partially sarcastic, and that probably wasn't too obvious in my post. Still, Krig says what he believes, and (even if his reasons aren't the most logical) he isn't afraid to boast his opinion amidst a community of posters who mostly believe otherwise. Furthermore, there are a lot of people on this forum who don't think critically. However, a lot of them demonstrate liberal ideals because that's what they think most people will agree with. They don't get called out, but that's because they appeal to the majority.

There's nothing wrong with voicing a non-majority opinion. Ozzman does it all the time here, and he actually holds a bit of credibility too because he often knows what he's talking about. Krig doesn't discuss, though - he just spams.

As far as the liberal majority issue goes here, I don't think there's a serious issue with liberals bullying people into conformity. On the whole, I think the political debates that take place here are ruled by logic and critical thinking far more than by bias. Sure, there is some liberal bias - and it annoys me too - but it's not like the minority views are just being ignored outright (unless they're as poorly-argued as Krig's).

Krig should be allowed to vote in any democratic society. If you deny Krig's right to vote simply because you disagree with his opinions, you deny democracy.

That wasn't really what I was hinting at when I brought up the idea of qualifications to vote. Mathias was just being a dick.

I do think there should be voting qualifications other than age. It's just hard to deal with the potential for corruption and abuse when implementing such things.

Reality has a well known liberal bias

-Stephen Colbert

Except when you stop focusing on specific issues and begin saying things like "liberalism is correct", you're making generalisations which are not only divisive and arrogant but also assume things which aren't necessarily true.

Things like pacifism and opposition to economic freedom keep me skeptical of the generalised "liberal viewpoint". There's also a tendency to assume that the tax burden should be focused on high income earners without taking into account the contributions of businesses to the economy.

Except when you stop focusing on specific issues and begin saying things like "liberalism is correct", you're making generalisations which are not only divisive and arrogant but also assume things which aren't necessarily true.

Things like pacifism and opposition to economic freedom keep me skeptical of the generalised "liberal viewpoint". There's also a tendency to assume that the tax burden should be focused on high income earners without taking into account the contributions of businesses to the economy.

You obviously don't understand the so called 'liberal' standpoint on the capitalist economic system. 'Liberal' economic policy seeks to correct injustices inherent in a 'free market' capitalistic society that leaves many behind through no fault of their own.

You obviously don't understand the so called 'liberal' standpoint on the capitalist economic system. 'Liberal' economic policy seeks to correct injustices inherent in a 'free market' capitalistic society that leaves many behind through no fault of their own.

Well no shit. What I mean is that it's sometimes taken to a point of excess where it's merely rewarding poor judgement instead of actual misfortune, or just tossing money at a problem without focusing on its cause.

That wasn't really what I was hinting at when I brought up the idea of qualifications to vote. Mathias was just being a dick.

I do think there should be voting qualifications other than age. It's just hard to deal with the potential for corruption and abuse when implementing such things.

That's weird. I read what you responded to, and I was like "I don't think I wrote that." InFlames actually wrote it, but for some reason it has my name attached to it.

That's weird. I read what you responded to, and I was like "I don't think I wrote that." InFlames actually wrote it, but for some reason it has my name attached to it.

Shit. That's because I copy-pasted the quote code from one paragraph to another without thinking. I'll fix that.

But it seeks to correct injustices by leveling injustices against the upper-middle and upper class.

Progressive taxation is hardly an injustice. :rolleyes:

Well no shit. What I mean is that it's sometimes taken to a point of excess where it's merely rewarding poor judgement instead of actual misfortune, or just tossing money at a problem without focusing on its cause.
That is a failure of application, not theory.

That is a failure of application, not theory.

A taxation policy which prioritises putting money in poorer people's hands over benefiting the economy as a whole is a definite failure of theory. I think that's something liberals are often at fault for.