Metallica
Exodus
Testament
Heathen
Vio-Lence
Machine Head
Death Angel
Forbidden

I mean c'mon ... I love the swedish scene and they have some notable bands as well but none of those bands would be around without THESE bands 1st. Also, just to add to it all ... a lot of the swedish bands that really killed are either broken up (At The Gates, Edge Of Sanity) or just suck now (In Flames, Entombed) ... as much as I love them even Dark Tranquillity has kinda been hitting a rough patch last couple albums.

Have you fucking heard the new Heathen? It fucking KILLS ... new Testament we're familiar with ... fuck man, the demo versions of the new Forbidden are better than the last 2 cds from In Flames and lets face it, Machine Head changed the face of heavy music with "Burn My Eyes"

SF wins in my opinion

Metallica
Exodus
Testament
Heathen
Vio-Lence
Machine Head
Death Angel
Forbidden

I mean c'mon ... I love the swedish scene and they have some notable bands as well but none of those bands would be around without THESE bands 1st. Also, just to add to it all ... a lot of the swedish bands that really killed are either broken up (At The Gates, Edge Of Sanity) or just suck now (In Flames, Entombed) ... as much as I love them even Dark Tranquillity has kinda been hitting a rough patch last couple albums.

Have you fucking heard the new Heathen? It fucking KILLS ... new Testament we're familiar with ... fuck man, the demo versions of the new Forbidden are better than the last 2 cds from In Flames and lets face it, Machine Head changed the face of heavy music with "Burn My Eyes"

Very well put, Carlos! :kickass:

Definitely Sweden, and I'm sorry Carlos, but if there's one thing that drives me crazy, it's the "you should love Band A because all your favorite bands were influenced by them and wouldn't be around without them" argument; surely you realize that could be traced back to cavemen banging mammoth bones together with some semblance of rhythm :D Testament is pretty much the only band out of that list I like these days! (haven't heard much Exodus though, admittedly, but I'm just really not much of a thrash fan)

I'm a much bigger fan of the Swedish scene in general.
Meshuggah, Scar Symmetry, In Flames, Cult of Luna, At the Gates, Dark Tranquility, Soilwork, Katatonia, Opeth and while not necessarily metal, Refused, goddamn, those bands IMHO make the Bay Area scene look boring as shit.
Megadeth (I don't think they are Bay Area technically speaking, but they get lumped in there anyway), Testament...and uh, that's pretty much it for me as far as Bay Area stuff goes that I can actually listen to regularly.

While I appreciate quite a bit of Swedish music, I've never been the biggest fan of Melodeath but I grew up on Thrash. Of course I like At The Gates as much as the next one, but all these other bands never did much for me. What I associate with great Swedish Death Metal first are Nihilist/Entombed, Dismember, Grave, Bloodbath, Death Breath etc... in other words: the Stockholm scene.

I think comparing the Bay Area music scene (and what made it famous) to either Göteborg or Stockholm makes more sense than comparing it to the Swedish scene in general because it's just too heterogeneous.

It's not all Melodeath... what I love about Swedish music is everything BUT Melodeath. It's Stockholm-DM, Black Metal, Progressive/Avant-garde stuff and even some pop music.

Edit: I forgot the ROCK. Sweden has/had some of Europe's finest rock and punk bands.

Definitely Sweden, and I'm sorry Carlos, but if there's one thing that drives me crazy, it's the "you should love Band A because all your favorite bands were influenced by them and wouldn't be around without them" argument; surely you realize that could be traced back to cavemen banging mammoth bones together with some semblance of rhythm :D Testament is pretty much the only band out of that list I like these days! (haven't heard much Exodus though, admittedly, but I'm just really not much of a thrash fan)

Bugger off, cavemen are where it's at. Hell, I'd kidnap some brain-damaged apes if I could get that old-school skull-thunking back.

Jeff

Millencolin!
smiley-scared0016.gif