Sweden vs SF Bay Area, who wins?

Sorry but being from the Bay Area, and old enough to have lived the thrash heyday, I have to give it to Sweden. The Crown, Dark Tranquillity, In Flames, Dissection....own every bay area band.

sp_0807_04_v6.jpg

:D

What Swedish/Gothenburg death metal (or any either sub-genre I'm not aware of) do you guys recommend then which can possibly topple the bands mentioned in the first post in terms of metalness?

I'm familiar with At The Gates and Dark Tranquility and like Arch Enemy a lot. I want to see who else you'd mention (maybe a short list?) so I can check out your most prominent recommendations as I'm not very knowledgeable about Swedish metal. Cheers :)

^ From the top of my head, Dissection, Edge of Sanity, Opeth amd old In Flames are most definitely worth checking out.

Oh of course! Forgot Opeth are from Sweden; don't usually categorize bands on nationality/location. One of my favorite bands of all time!

I'll add Canada, because they have GREAT progressive metal there.

For me, it's Sweden. I can't count how many times I've listened to Jester Race. It was literally a turning point in my life, same with Slaughter of the Soul, and they were both in rotation in my car for almost 2 years without change, plus Hatebreeder(Close enough geographically :heh:) They may have turned to shit or broken up, but the sounds that came out of there were god like.

Not just that, but I hate most thrash minus a few. I had never heard Exodus before, but when I saw them live with Testament and Deth, I knew I was never going to. The singer is an annoying asshole, and seems real ignorant.

What Swedish/Gothenburg death metal (or any either sub-genre I'm not aware of) do you guys recommend then which can possibly topple the bands mentioned in the first post in terms of metalness?

I'm familiar with At The Gates and Dark Tranquility and like Arch Enemy a lot. I want to see who else you'd mention (maybe a short list?) so I can check out your most prominent recommendations as I'm not very knowledgeable about Swedish metal. Cheers :)

EDGE OF SANITY

"Spectral Sorrows"
"Purgatory Afterglow"
"Crimson"

Gotta scope Soilwork dude, personally I think every one of their albums is worth listening to (actually, I must confess I still haven't heard Steelbath Suicide :erk: ), with "A Predator's Portrait" being my absolute favorite (and one of my all-time top-10 favorite albums :worship: ) - "Chainheart Machine" is much faster/thrashier (but still awesome), "Natural Born Chaos" is great but IMO overrated (I would put it as my 4th favorite, behind the previous two I mentioned as well as "Figure Number Five", which ironically most people seem to dislike). And then the most recent two both have their moments, definitely worth listening to IMO!

As for In Flames, I would honestly just say start with "The Jester Race" (also in my top-10), work your way forward chronologically up to (and including) "Reroute to Remain"...and then continue to their newer albums at your own risk :D

I've got more swedish bands than bay area bands in my playlist, so Sweden I guess.
But I'm neither a lot into the extremes of bouth styles...I like the bands most who mix death and thrash a lot haha
+ production wise I can't dig the oldshoolsoundish vibes...Even if I like the tunes. Sucks ass because I like the old testament songs, but cant listen to them a lot due the sound :loco:

i grew up in the bay area...and will always consider myself native to SF more than anywhere else

however, i must go with the swedes on this one