SX Intermelodical references

Feb 10, 2008
The edge of Forever
I made this thread for people to post their favourite intermelodical references in all of SX songs. For example, the end of Revelation, the very last like 15 seconds is part of Divine Wings of Tragedy. I know that they have a lot, so I wanted to get a list going.

There's more similari melodies with Accolades besides that. But not too many of things like that... Similiar things yes, but not exactly same.

The accolades. But The Edge of Forever and Communion and The Oracle have striking similarities as well. Same thing with the beginning of The Raging Seasons and Evolution. Anyone else agree?

Isn't there a part of Accolade in Divine Wings, in the beginning after the chant, where the acoustic starts... I might be dreaming too...

The accolades. But The Edge of Forever and Communion and The Oracle have striking similarities as well. Same thing with the beginning of The Raging Seasons and Evolution. Anyone else agree?
Or the first line of Raging Seasons and the recycled lyric and melody at the 2nd verse of Orion The Hunter

Did anyone else notice? The clean guitar+stereo delay line in Candlelight Fantasia (2:25) is revisited in The Odyssey's last part (20:45).

I like the way Romeo refers to the bands older (now classic :)) motifs in newer albums, a nice way to sort of connect an album with another in terms of theme...etc

I personally think that what he did with Revelation's (consequently the album's) fade-out part is pure genius.

Wouldn't it be "Intermelodic references" and not "Intermelodical"? That's been bothering me a lot.

You're right.

Edit: I just figured the same thing could be based on the acoustic guitar lick in 'MJR no 13' from Romeo's solo album 'The Dark Chapter'.
It starts at 4:52, really cool sounding!! (note that he uses a slap-back delay here too)

How about that dissonant ( not sure what its called ) chord thing ? Its in Domination, and Winters Dream part II.

And I notice he does this riff type in slower songs. It's in Communion, Edge of Forever, Shades of Gray, Awakenings..

Someone once said that the intro to Accolade II was the same scale progression as the intro to Inferno ??

Did anyone else notice? The clean guitar+stereo delay line in Candlelight Fantasia (2:25) is revisited in The Odyssey's last part (20:45).

Yes, I noticed this too. The same thing is also in Premonition in case you didn't remember.

Yes, I noticed this too. The same thing is also in Premonition in case you didn't remember.

Oh I totally forgot that one, it starts at 1:28.

Is that actually the same line? Or is it just the same technique?

The three version are in different keys, besides they're not completely identical, there is only a slight difference between them.

I tend to like the Odyssey's version more: what a nice progressive lick! I wish he could include more of that clean stuff (e.g. DWT at 4:10) in future compositions.

(P.S. I don't know but I fucking like the Raptor Jesus thing in your signature :lol:)

Cheers

How about that dissonant ( not sure what its called ) chord thing ? Its in Domination, and Winters Dream part II.

And I notice he does this riff type in slower songs. It's in Communion, Edge of Forever, Shades of Gray, Awakenings..

Diminished chords? That's just the root and lowered fifth. I call them "Opeth chords" because Opeth uses them in like every song. They're very evil-sounding. In Domination, though, Romeo is playing a B over a Bb for a really ugly sound... I'm not sure what the name of this chord is, though. I like the bass/piano line under that section the most!

Theory geek time:

Diminshed = Root, b3, b5. A root and a lowered fifth isn't a chord, it's an interval called a tritone. Chords have to have 3 tones.

In Domination, I'm pretty sure he's just playing a minor 2nd with plenty of distortion. So kickass.

Romeo does this quite a bit but he'll be giving rhythmn with a single note, then do ascending power chords. It sounds good but after you've listened to The Accolade to death you pick up on it in the Odyssey and other songs that I can't recall right now. The instance in particular includes 3 ascending power chords: chugga chugga chugga chugga daaa Daaaa DAH! chugga chugga chugga chugga...