Technical Death

okay I went and sampled The Faceless and MUST HAVE NOW.

Yes. I think that people categorize them as metalcore or deathcore whatever just because they gig with metalcore/deathcore bands and they have...OMG!!! THE DREADED BREAKDOWN!!! Ohhhh no!!!! That makes them metalcore. Fuck that shit. The music is fucking awesome. The vocals are definately death metal and they're technical as hell. They rule. Everyone needs to give them a listen. Any metal fan period.

whoever's classifying them as metalcore is an idiot. deathcore isn't right either - it's too amorphous, and I'm sure most bands playing the style don't classify themselves as such either.

I think what separates these guys from fragmented, spastic metal like The Red Chord and that ilk is the groove - there's lots of it here, and it instantly recalls Necrophagist, Gorod, even grindcore like Dying Fetus.

I was also pleasantly surprised to hear electronic noodlings, clean vocals and a sense of humor - it brought Faith No More's taste for genre-mixing to mind. looking fwd to picking this up. and I'm surprised Willowtip didn't snatch them up first.

whoever's classifying them as metalcore is an idiot. deathcore isn't right either - it's too amorphous, and I'm sure most bands playing the style don't classify themselves as such either.

I think what separates these guys from fragmented, spastic metal like The Red Chord and that ilk is the groove - there's lots of it here, and it instantly recalls Necrophagist, Gorod, even grindcore like Dying Fetus.

I was also pleasantly surprised to hear electronic noodlings, clean vocals and a sense of humor - it brought Faith No More's taste for genre-mixing to mind. looking fwd to picking this up. and I'm surprised Willowtip didn't snatch them up first.

I agree completely. And I wouldn't really say Faith No More...I'd say as far as the "electronic noodlings" go...it reminds me of Cynic. (Veil of Maya, to be exact :) )

atheist isnt considered tech death?

I think to some degree, yeah. It's more like progressive death...with some thrash too. And jazz...and everything. lol.

electronic noodlings: Veil of Maya: yup. ref'd FNM merely as an overall approach, i.e. the kitchen-sink playfulness they exhibited on Angel Dust and KFAD. I love when death metal bands fuck with convention, the genre is so ripe for mutation.

i'd say atheist is more prog death along w Cynic and late-era Death btw.

Obvious classics of the genre:

Afflicted - Prodigal Sun
Atheist - Unquestionable Presence
At the Gates - The Red in the Sky is Ours
Crimson Massacre - The Luster of Pandemonium
Deicide - Legion
Demilich - Nespithe
Disaffected - Vast
Gorguts - Obscura
Monstrosity - Imperial Doom
Pestilence - Testimony of the Ancients
Seance - Saltrubbed Eyes
Wicked Innocence - Omnipotence

Most of the more recent efforts in this vein have been unmitigated failures. Bands like Necrophagist and Lykathea Aflame bring the flash without the substance: there's a definite tendency among the current crop of 'technical' death metal acts toward formulaic songwriting designed more to frame the instrumental performances than develop any sort of larger concept/communicate ideas.

yeah I think there is - both obviously have long, protean song structures, off-time or polyrhythmic gymnastics, but bands labeled as tech death seem to be more focused on the intricate, contorted writing and playing - whereas progressive stuff can be freer and looser, pulling from the more expansive sounds of 70s progressive rock.

ultimately it's splitting hairs, and there are certainly bands that could lump into either. but I would never call Opeth technical death (as complex and multi-layered as they can be) and I would never call Gorod or Spawn of Possession progressive death.

There is no such thing as 'progressive' death metal. The stuff that gets tagged with the label (i.e. Opeth and later vintage Death) isn't death metal of any sort.

uh saying Opeth isn't "death metal of any sort" is like saying Emperor isn't black metal of any sort. yes both have moved far from the core examples of their respectives genres over their careers but they're still mostly easily classed there.

agree that you could say later-era Death has more in common with thrash than true death metal.

uh saying Opeth isn't "death metal of any sort" is like saying Emperor isn't black metal of any sort. yes both have moved far from the core examples of their respectives genres over their careers but they're still mostly easily classed there.

Actually, it's far more akin to pointing out that Children of Bodom aren't black metal. In both cases, the only connection either band has to genres they've occasionally been lumped in with is vocal style. Vox aside, Opeth has far more in common musically and conceptually with bands like Fates Warning, Camel and King Crimson than with Deicide or Dismember.

Actually, it's far more akin to pointing out that Children of Bodom aren't black metal. In both cases, the only connection either band has to genres they've occasionally been lumped in with is vocal style. Vox aside, Opeth has far more in common musically and conceptually with bands like Fates Warning, Camel and King Crimson than with Deicide or Dismember.

I really agree with that. But it depends what album you're talking about, in my opinion. To me...Orchid and Morningrise are similar to like a melodic black/folk/viking style.

Then MAYH and Still Life are like...I don't know what the fuck that is. BWP is sort of similar too.

Then Deliverance comes in...and to me...Deliverance (Wreath and Master's Apprentices for the most part) can easily be labeled as death metal.

But that's the great thing about Opeth. They aren't a genre. They just are. They don't really want to be labeled they (Mike) just aspire to write something completely original every album. And that just rules.

But that's the great thing about Opeth. They aren't a genre. They just are. They don't really want to be labeled they (Mike) just aspire to write something completely original every album. And that just rules.

And yet, the actual recorded product never rises above being a laundry list of influences.