The "Are These Guys Any Good" Thread

Doomwatcher said:
Can anyone share opinions on these?

Winter

Get Into Darkness NOW. It fucking rules and is one of the greatest doom albums of all-time and is HIGHLY influential. Too bad your late, because I had an extra copy that I just traded off a couple weeks ago.

Doomwatcher said:

Fullmoon is pretty good, but I really cannot offer much more opinion because I've only heard their 30 minute demo (because thats the only that they released). If you feel like buying a release called "United Aryan Evil" with Nazis marching on the front, I'd say go ahead. The music is not unlike older graveland, but with better riffs.

doomwatcher : if you don't live in some unholy corner of the earth or anything, I can send you a cd-r of the demo.

Fields Of The Nephilim is one of the few "serious" and "Great" (imo) gothic rock bands out there (the other 2 : Sisters Of Mercy, The Mission). They are pretty much guitar oriented and sometimes "heavy". "Elyzium" wins. But what i like most is "Zoon" by Nephilim (a project of the Fields singer) which is HEAVY and DARK rock/metal with really haunting atmosphere. I suggest you buy this.

Cenotaph - "Gloomy Reflections..." was quite a sludgy, dodgily recorded affair. Swedish-sounding but more brutal than most, with an unusually gloomy vibe. "...Oceans" is very much like "The Red in the Sky is Ours", though less good. Still worth getting.

Golem - "Eternity: The Weeping Horizons" is superb, unusual melodies and rhythms, quite a mechanic sound while simultaneously being epic and brutal. Certainly among the best at pulling off such a combination.

Eucharist - "A Velvet Creation" is a swirling melodic piece of DM, utterly unique in essence though having some stylistic similarities to Swedish stuff like Necrophobic and Afflicted. http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=1231 - top one

Fullmoon - "United Aryan Evil" is the fourth best BM recording ever made. Don't need to say much more, but if you're interested: http://www.metal-archives.com/review.php?id=11663 - top one again

Winter - I have "Arntor" and it's really good symphonic BM (not something I say often), it's well structured, good conceptually and spiritually, none of the melodies are boring, it's epic stuff. You'll no doubt like it if you like stuff like Nokturnal Mortum's "Goat Horns" though it is quite different to that, so if you don't like NM don't be put off.

So no one has heard of Woods of Belial then?

Some other bands that i'm interested in gathering descriptions and opinions on.

Depravity(Finland)
The Eye (one of the side projects of Blut Aus Nord's Vindsval)
Xysma

Opeth17 - Knowing your death metal tastes, you will adore The Karelian Isthmus and most likely Tales from the 1000 Lakes. Tales... has much more keyboard melodies, but they blend in perfectly. Karelian Isthmus is commonly seen as a cornerstone in death metal among the self-proclaimed "elite". Elegy is quite good as well, but this is more progressive stuff with tons of keyboards, acoustics, and clean vocals.

Aborym is black metal mixed with industrial. An acquired taste, but Aborym does it best, much better than Thorns, Dodheimsgard, Thee Maldoror Kollective and newer Mayhem. Fire Walk With Us is one of the pinnacles of this sound.

Good, got some opinions on everything. Amorphis is going to rule, I listened to some samples and they were great, think I'll like them the most.

Gorgoroth seems worthy as well, is there anything different about the sound on the digipak versions of the first three?

Will also probably check out Aborym.

Can anyone expand on what Anaal Nathrakh sound like?

Opeth17 said:
Can anyone expand on what Anaal Nathrakh sound like?

It's pretty hard to describe, but think ultra-brutal, constanst blast sonic tidal wave black metal. They use a lot of sampled screams and snippets and the vocals are really sick/cool. It's pretty good but gets boring rahter quick.

Here's a song from their first album if you're interested: http://web.telia.com/~u14006384/04_Pandemonic_Hyperblast-ILD.mp3

Opeth17, you would probably love Aborym. I did a review awhile back but it's one of the few promos I still listen to on occasion, so I like it more than my review states.

Amorphis blows except for My Kantele.