The Books/Reading Thread

Reading this while watching a documentary on Putin.

WKEqbl6.jpg

Ive been particularly obsessed with Terry Pratchett's Discworld series lately. This man really can do no wrong, casual escapism at it's best. Only a few more to go.

Reactions: unknown and CiG
Man that's impressive, considering that one book lasted me for three years of high school. Every time we had a quiet period in English of reading time I would produce my copy of Skinhead Escapes and pretend to be reading it and just eating bits of paper from the corners of the book. No doubt only interested in trying to finger some girl or thinking about when it was time to get stoned.

Reactions: CiG
Man that's impressive, considering that one book lasted me for three years of high school. Every time we had a quiet period in English of reading time I would produce my copy of Skinhead Escapes and pretend to be reading it and just eating bits of paper from the corners of the book. No doubt only interested in trying to finger some girl or thinking about when it was time to get stoned.

Ha!

I did a lot of reading in high school but don't get me wrong, I was a dirty punk skateboarder too.

Reactions: JontRevolting
image.jpeg image.jpeg @CASSETTEISGOD I've got so many good books on the go but life is chaotic ATM and I find it pretty hard to focus on one thing. I've finally had some positive news about work and I can't wait to be in a state of mind that I can actually enjoy front to back.
I've had both of these for a while now but only just got around to having a brief look last week.

I used to read more as a kid and in middle school, took a break in high school, and then picked up the pace when I started going to college. I remember being a little kid and being completely obsessed with Goosebumps. Now I mostly read classic sci-fi and of course Discworld when im looking for something a little less heady.

I've been meaning to read his Discworld series myself. I read some of them in high school and I'm really eager to revisit them.

Do you remember which ones you read already? Discworld is definitely one of those rare series where the later books are better than the first few, but honestly I dont think im even close to disliking a single one of them that ive read so far.

View attachment 4512 View attachment 4511 @CASSETTEISGOD I've got so many good books on the go but life is chaotic ATM and I find it pretty hard to focus on one thing. I've finally had some positive news about work and I can't wait to be in a state of mind that I can actually enjoy front to back.
I've had both of these for a while now but only just got around to having a brief look last week.

Are those both books of photography or just the latter? Congratulations on the good work news by the way.

I read a lot, as often as I can. Even if it's just ten pages on a short bus trip or something. Lately it's mostly just been comic books though.

Do you remember which ones you read already? Discworld is definitely one of those rare series where the later books are better than the first few, but honestly I dont think im even close to disliking a single one of them that ive read so far.

Oh sure, I specifically remember finishing "The Colour Of Magic" and "The Light fantastic" and I remember starting "Equal Rites" and getting a chapter in before stopping for whatever reason. I can't remember why.

Definitely plan on buying them this time around.

25111052.jpg

Supposedly these vampires are the real McCoy, and none of that sparkly bullshit. I'm only one story in so far, but it was good.

I've seen this recommended elsewhere actually.

Have you read much of the first wave vampire fiction? "The Vampyre" by John William Polidori is great, as is "Dracula" by Bram Stoker of course.

"Salem's Lot" by Stephen King is perhaps my favourite contemporary piece of vampire fiction though.

@CASSETTEISGOD Thanks man!
This is one I read a while ago,gruesome in its realism. Infact I swear the author must have real experience on the life of a meth head. Killer story about a world wide plague of meth head zombies. Fun,quick disgusting page turner.
image.jpeg

Oh sure, I specifically remember finishing "The Colour Of Magic" and "The Light fantastic" and I remember starting "Equal Rites" and getting a chapter in before stopping for whatever reason. I can't remember why.

Definitely plan on buying them this time around.

Chronological order I see. My guess as to why you stopped reading Equal Rites is because the MC is a 9 (I think she was 9) year old girl. Unless you insist on reading in publishing order, I would suggest skipping this book until after reading a bit more Pratchett, since it isnt nearly one of the better books in the series (and quite honestly neither are the first two).

Since the discworld books dont really have significant continuity (The Witches books probably have the most and I recommend reading those in order), so reading order isnt very important. Id start back up with Guards! Guards! or Mort if I were you.

Have you read much of the first wave vampire fiction? "The Vampyre" by John William Polidori is great, as is "Dracula" by Bram Stoker of course.

"Salem's Lot" by Stephen King is perhaps my favourite contemporary piece of vampire fiction though.

I know your not talking to me, but im going to respond anyways. The only one ive read out of those you mentioned is Bram Stoker's Dracula, and god damn was that book a work of art. I never read anything Stephen King short of The Shining, and it kind of turned me off from King since ive heard great things about this one from King lovers and found his writing style to be rather boring. Not sure if I should chance his writing again, but ive always wondered if I just picked a fluke.

Chronological order I see. My guess as to why you stopped reading Equal Rites is because the MC is a 9 (I think she was 9) year old girl. Unless you insist on reading in publishing order, I would suggest skipping this book until after reading a bit more Pratchett, since it isnt nearly one of the better books in the series (and quite honestly neither are the first two).

Since the discworld books dont really have significant continuity (The Witches books probably have the most and I recommend reading those in order), so reading order isnt very important. Id start back up with Guards! Guards! or Mort if I were you.

No actually I think the reason I didn't finish was just more to do with personal reasons at the time. I had a ridiculous childhood all the way up to high school, no stability at all. I'll definitely take what you're saying into account, but knowing myself I'm OCD about publishing order. I'm fucked.

I know your not talking to me, but im going to respond anyways. The only one ive read out of those you mentioned is Bram Stoker's Dracula, and god damn was that book a work of art. I never read anything Stephen King short of The Shining, and it kind of turned me off from King since ive heard great things about this one from King lovers and found his writing style to be rather boring. Not sure if I should chance his writing again, but ive always wondered if I just picked a fluke.

Fuck. Well, actually I might be able to help you here because I too think Stephen King is a little bit overrated and boring but "Salem's Lot" is a genre landmark in my opinion. It's just brilliant man.

No actually I think the reason I didn't finish was just more to do with personal reasons at the time. I had a ridiculous childhood all the way up to high school, no stability at all. I'll definitely take what you're saying into account, but knowing myself I'm OCD about publishing order. I'm fucked.

Eh, you almost cant lose with Pratchett. It's just that his first 3 are just about his weakest 3, and he gets even better from there, so I kind of suggest getting re-introduced with a better book than Equal Rites. The only publishing order that matters at all is just minor references in individual groups, like City Watch novels or The Witches novels or Rincewind books. There are only a couple of actual continuations in the entire series, but this is more of a pro than a con since he doesnt ever seem to get lazy and depend on just one source of inspiration. Guards! Guards! is the first City Watch book and is a damn good read, and would probably get you hooked into Discworld. Mort is good, but the sequel (Reaper Man) is even better.

Fuck. Well, actually I might be able to help you here because I too think Stephen King is a little bit overrated and boring but "Salem's Lot" is a genre landmark in my opinion. It's just brilliant man.

Ill keep this in mind, I havent read nearly enough King to be opposed to his shit. The synopsis sounds like it would be a good read.

I've seen this recommended elsewhere actually.

"The Vampyre" - no. "Dracula" and "Salem's Lot" - yes. They were both great in their own distinctive ways. I read "Dracula" in Swedish when I was relatively young. I should pick it up for a re-read in English.