The Books/Reading Thread

Tons of it. The novels and any poetry compilation are great. I could take or leave the short stories.

I know Unknown likes him as well.

I am going to start Ham On Rye soon. I am excited, mostly because I am want to read his style because I have been told it is almost sleezy and decadent but also well-composed and thoughtful.

Tracing the influence that Walter Pater had on him is sickeningly rewarding for a douchey English major who has largely focused on the Victorian period such as myself.

Ars gratia artis indeed. Pater was a genius. I'll admit that I enjoy several writers from the Victorian period, but I still find Wilde the most amusing. The Decay of Lying is one of my favorite works of criticism.

I want to focus on Modernism and contemportary literature for my graduate studies. However, I have a soft spot for Romanticism. It's all interconnected really, so it's tough to choose just one era.

I mean misogynistic stuff.

No authors really claim to be misogynistic in their writings. Some Feminist criticism argues that certain works are inherently misogynistic. Some books that have been accused of this are Moby Dick and Heart of Darkness. I, personally, think a lot of feminist criticism treats works unfairly.