The Books/Reading Thread

Also, has anyone read any Bukowski?

one of my favorite authors (as MOL pointed out). Ham On Rye is a great place to start. Tales of Ordinary Madness is really good too. His work got me into blue collar lit...I don't know. I really like his tone, outlook and everything. He lived the last 20 or 30 years in the town where I live (San Pedro,CA) and had some interesting things to say about it haha.

There's a really good bio film on him called "Born Into This". There's a scene where he's beating his wife o_O

if you end up liking him, check out John Fante. he was bukowski's main inspiration.

Currently reading this for my creative writing novel class:
water-for-elephants.jpg

It's pretty good so far. Anything involving circuses and the like I enjoy. It reminds me a lot of the tv show Carnival (which I loved).

My guitar teacher said he saw a reading with Bukowski at Northwestern years back, but when he was reading he just kept pulling beers out and downing them. According to him, he ended up being pretty drunk.

lately, ive just been reading a lot about Physics. lots on the serious side,and also an entertaining Physics book Called "Physics of the Impossible", by Michio Kaku

also,I just started another Alan Moore comic, called Top 10. And yes, If the WAtchmen is rated on of the best NOVELS of our time, than I guess I should mention Top 10 in here

EDIT. Alan Moore is genius

Not really. Well. If you're not into Modernist literature and fiddlings with time then yes, it could pose a problem. I like-ish Virginia Woolf.

you read roman histories and epics. I think you can handle Virginia Woolf

James Fenimore Cooper, on the other hand... :erk:

I have to read the latter in a couple weeks. Looks like a bitch.

Mrs. Dalloway isn't bad. In all honesty, I'm not a huge Woolf fan, but Dalloway is okay. I wasn't too fond of To the Lighthouse, except the middle section of the book is one of the coolest written pieces of Modernist literature (in my opinion); those long sweeping descriptions of time passing in the empty house. I actually think the end of Pt. I (dinner and the aftermath; everyone going to bed, saying goodnight) and the whole of Pt. II are my favorite things that Woolf ever wrote. There's a Romantic aspect to them that isn't as apparent in stories like Mrs. Dalloway or Orlando.

Finished War and Peace and For Whom The Bell Tolls. I was at the bookstore today to pick up All Quiet On The Western Front (which they ended up not having) and noticed that the new Dune book, Sandworms of Dune, was out in paperback, and I realized that I hadn't read a book purely for me in a long time, so I picked it up. The series by Herbert's son is much pulpier but still well written and much more readable, if less stimulating, than the original series (no one I know made it past book three, I found God Emperor onwards to be very good but very dense).

In my English class we finished Madame Bovary and will be starting The Unbearable Lightness of Being and To The Lighthouse soon.

Finished War and Peace and For Whom The Bell Tolls. I was at the bookstore today to pick up All Quiet On The Western Front (which they ended up not having) and noticed that the new Dune book, Sandworms of Dune, was out in paperback, and I realized that I hadn't read a book purely for me in a long time, so I picked it up. The series by Herbert's son is much pulpier but still well written and much more readable, if less stimulating, than the original series (no one I know made it past book three, I found God Emperor onwards to be very good but very dense).

In my English class we finished Madame Bovary and will be starting The Unbearable Lightness of Being and To The Lighthouse soon.

The people who hate on Brian Herbert/Kevin Anderson written Dune books suck. The Butlerian Jihad/Machine Crusade/Battle Of Corrin are great and the rest of the books are better than a fuck load of sci-fi out there.

so apparently, I don't have to read Mrs. Dalloway until the end of next month. I was getting all stressed and pissed off because I had only read 20 pages of it.

*sigh*

I blame James Fenimore Cooper and his piece of shit

The people who hate on Brian Herbert/Kevin Anderson written Dune books suck. The Butlerian Jihad/Machine Crusade/Battle Of Corrin are great and the rest of the books are better than a fuck load of sci-fi out there.
I agree. WAIF summed it up pretty well in that they are more readable but less interesting in the long run than Frank Herbert's. I still really enjoyed them as I enjoyed all Dune material.

I found Sandworms of Dune dragged a little but it was still good.