The Books/Reading Thread

Also, Frank Herbert and Brian Herbert wrote together this book called Man of Two Worlds that's very good, much more humorous.

And Frank Herbert wrote these two books called the Jesus Incident and The Lazarus Effect that were very good and pretty out there.

Great books. The Eyes of Heisenberg is one of my other favourites of FH.

currently reading:

Seven%20Gables.jpg

I'd like to read that. Perhaps I'll get it over the summer.

I don't know what I'm currently supposed to be reading. I know I'm reading Locke and Rousseau and some random astrophysics bullshit. I think I'm supposed to read some essay by Yeats. No, wait, I'm supposed to read Henry James.

I don't know what I'm currently supposed to be reading. I know I'm reading Locke and Rousseau and some random astrophysics bullshit. I think I'm supposed to read some essay by Yeats. No, wait, I'm supposed to read Henry James.

Yeats is the man.

Reading this a second time to write a paper and I really enjoy it.

Civilization_and_Its_Discontents_book_cover.jpg

Sounds awesome. Anything with Dore's work on the cover must be win.

I'd like to read that. Perhaps I'll get it over the summer.

It isn't bad so far. It certainly beats James Fenimore Cooper :zombie: I'm about halfway through it...need to have it done by tuesday or thursday

we just read a couple Yeats poems for my british lit class and The Wasteland by Eliot...we got to hear an audio recording of Eliot reading it. He sounds a lot like William S Burroughs strangely

American Psycho......pretty crazy book. I thinks its really funny that Patrick Bateman is obsessed with mentioning every person's entire clothing in detail.

easily one of the best american novels to come out during the late twentieth century. it's basically THE book for character analysis and development. absolutely amazing what bret easton ellis did.

easily one of the best american novels to come out during the late twentieth century. it's basically THE book for character analysis and development. absolutely amazing what bret easton ellis did.

There is definetly some brutal stuff happening in this book, even some stuff I could do without which is saying a lot as not alot really bothers or shocks me, but reading it is has a different effect I must say. Still, regardless it is a very good book. Still not done yet either. Patrick Bateman is close to being one of the most fascinating literary characters I have ever came across.

So, I finished Bakker's new book, The Judging Eye, a few days ago. I was wondering if anyone else who's read it picked up on the whole "Lord of the Rings meets Blood Meridian" aspect. I mean, a band of scalpers led by a savage, taciturn man who only really speaks to a Nonman named Cleric (who happens to have pale skin, by the way) tries to cross a mountain range, only to find it blocked by a blizzard. So what do they do? They have to go under the mountains, only to encounter the numerous terrors that lurk in the darkness. I suppose, since Tolkien and McCarthy are both huge influences on Bakker, it was only a matter of time.

I'm now reading China Mieville's Perdido Street Station.

I'm going through the Divina Commedia once again, this time the Sinclair translation, which is prose-literal. One canticle down, two to go.

So, I finished Bakker's new book, The Judging Eye, a few days ago. I was wondering if anyone else who's read it picked up on the whole "Lord of the Rings meets Blood Meridian" aspect. I mean, a band of scalpers led by a savage, taciturn man who only really speaks to a Nonman named Cleric (who happens to have pale skin, by the way) tries to cross a mountain range, only to find it blocked by a blizzard. So what do they do? They have to go under the mountains, only to encounter the numerous terrors that lurk in the darkness. I suppose, since Tolkien and McCarthy are both huge influences on Bakker, it was only a matter of time.

I'm now reading China Mieville's Perdido Street Station.

whoa i didn't even know about that, can't afford to buy it atm unfortunately. i don't *necessarily* mind references to LOTR as long as they're tasteful, take 'thomas covenant' as a great example of that.

i'll be interested to see whether you like PSS though. :)

edit: apparently bakker's done two books since prince of nothing, that's bad ass.