The Books/Reading Thread

whoa i didn't even know about that, can't afford to buy it atm unfortunately. i don't *necessarily* mind references to LOTR as long as they're tasteful, take 'thomas covenant' as a great example of that.

i'll be interested to see whether you like PSS though. :)

edit: apparently bakker's done two books since prince of nothing, that's bad ass.

The new Bakker book was good. Not on par with the installments of the original trilogy, but I'm hoping it builds to something truly epic. And yeah, Bakker's a machine; churns out books consistently, like Erikson. So hopefully I won't have to wait too long for the rest of the trilogy.

I'm excited about Perdido Street Station, I've heard great things about Mieville.

in some ways i think 'the scar' might be a better entry point, but i do probably like PSS more (save one laborious segment in the last third) and it predates the scar IIRC.

I've never really read much horror shizzle but I recall playing some game on PC ages ago based on a book or something by Clive Barker. Best books by him? plskthx.

Just finished "Shadow & Claw" (The First half of "The Book of the New Sun") by Gene Wolfe. First book I have a read in a few months and a pretty unique piece of fantasy work.

on a shakespeare kick:
just finished merchant of venice, julius caesar, macbeth and hamlet. finishing up romeo & juliet. will probably do antony and cleopatra next.

Just finished "Shadow & Claw" (The First half of "The Book of the New Sun") by Gene Wolfe. First book I have a read in a few months and a pretty unique piece of fantasy work.

I own that, and got about seventy pages into it when Dan Simmons' Hyperion stole me away. :cool: I'll get back to it eventually.

I need to read the other half. ><

It took a little while to get going but I like how the author actually made a world that didn't seem an amalgamation of blatant, overused fantasy stereotypes. The focal point is somewhere between hero and anti-hero. Very fresh.

Just ordered this. It apparently has a nominal criticism of my own Latin professor in it, attacking her "liberal multiculturalist" take on teaching Classics.

Who%20Killed%20Homer.jpg

I just finished reading "Ham On Rye." Which is, indeed, such an honest and brutal book. Read it.

I have to put Perdido Street Station on hold for a short time. A friend let me borrow The Fall of Hyperion, so my first priority is to get that back to him (and I also am still on a bit of a high from the first book).

just passed the halfway point of patricia a. mckillip's 'ombria in shadow'. rooted in faerie/high fantasy tropes which would usually piss me the hell off, but here the writing is so simply evocative and intimate that i'm enjoying myself quite a lot. its main characters are etched with loss and loneliness despite their youth, small things flailing towards the few rays of light that still linger in a belittling world increasingly cloaked with dread and cold pragmatism. there's lots of wonder and old memories and ghosts hiding in the shadows and the shimmering candlelight and winding passageways and cracks in the floor. i recommend it.