The Books/Reading Thread

anything really. Tales of Ordinary Madness is great...also, try looking into his poetry

after Bukowski, check out his main inspiration, John Fante

Are all of his other works similar to "Ham On Rye" with the grimy and almost tongue-in-cheek crude writing? Got anyone else worth reading? I kind of like grimy and dark novels.

Anyone into any of the classic Russian writers?

yeah. His writing is pretty consistent no matter which of his you read. Although not quite like Bukowski or Fante, Raymond Chandler is definitely worth looking into. Check out his short story collections Cathedrals and Fires.

I just read Ender's Game as I felt it was probably about time I got round to it, it being a 'classic' sci-fi book and all. I only really thought the last chapter was good, the whole 6yr olds swearing and commanding people in the army (I don't give a fuck how smart they're meant to be) just seemed stupid. The overall style of writing also seemed really juvenile or something until the last 20 or so pages. I don't care if that was to emphasise that they're still kids and shit, it pissed me off.

Been a while since I've posted in this thread. Here is what I have read/been reading lately:

Have read:

den-of-thieves.jpg

This is an important piece of financial history. Anyone who is interested in the field (or, in particular, insider trading) should read this book.

What I am reading now:

blue.jpg

This book is seriously hard to put down. I figure I should know about what happened with this since I am a shareholder of MS

getting-started-in-technical-analysis-jack-d-schwager-paperback-cover-art.jpg

Technical Analysis is the ability to predict future stock price movements using past stock chart data. I figure if I want to be a big baller and make millions of dollars, this is one way to start doing it.

Finally, I am re-reading:

slaughterhouse5.jpg

Been about 6-8 years since I read this last

I'm finally getting back into reading these days. I've been going through Edgar Allen Poe's short stories. It's really great to read one in bed right before going to sleep.

Here's a quote from "Eleonora" that I thought was pretty awesome:

I am come of a race noted for vigour of fancy and ardour of passion. Men have called me mad, but the question is not yet settled whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence, whether much that is glorious, whether all that is profound, does not spring from disease of thought, from moods of mind exalted at the expense of the general intellect. They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night. In their grey visions they obtain glimpses of eternity, and thrill, in waking, to find that they have been upon the verge of the great secret.

Poe is fantastic; very underrated in the scholarly world. And believe it or not, he's not even part of the canon over in England. I met a professor at Cambridge who had never read a single work by Poe.

Poe is fantastic; very underrated in the scholarly world. And believe it or not, he's not even part of the canon over in England. I met a professor at Cambridge who had never read a single work by Poe.

That's a shame. But yeah, I've been really impressed, especially by the richness of language in his writings. His short stories are almost like a form of poetry themselves. And the situations that take place in them can be really really strange.

As a fun fact, apparently "The Gold Bug" was a big influence for Robert Louis Stevenson when he wrote Treasure Island.

I really enjoy Edgar Allan Poe's works I've read in my High School and College English classes, what book collection/chronology would you recommend to me written by Poe? The Case of M. Valdemar is just brutal, so is The Black Cat.

I really enjoy Edgar Allan Poe's works I've read in my High School and College English classes, what book collection/chronology would you recommend to me written by Poe? The Case of M. Valdemar is just brutal, so is The Black Cat.

just get a collection of his complete tales and poems... hell it's only like 1,000 pages or so.

anyway... finished Henry VI Pt. 2 on to Pt. 3!